Non-motoring > Memory Foam Mattresses, not a "Topper" Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 11

Memory Foam Mattresses, not a "Topper" - Meldrew
I understand the principle of these items but wonder, if they are meant to react to body heat, can they be used in conjunction with an electric blanket? It occurs to me that a combination of body heat and blanket heat might make the thing get too soft. Please can any users comment? Thanks.
 Memory Foam Mattresses, not a "Topper" - Crankcase
Having just been down this route, my understanding is that you can't use an electric blanket, no. It's also true that you won't need one in my experience. Too hot if anything as it is.
 Memory Foam Mattresses, not a "Topper" - Old Navy
We have a mattress with a memory foam sleeping surface, an electric blanket is not advised by the manufacturer, or required, it warms up very quickly.
 Memory Foam Mattresses, not a "Topper" - Falkirk Bairn
The only benefit I see is they fit in the car to get them home.........open it up and 24 hrs later they look like a normal mattress
 Memory Foam Mattresses, not a "Topper" - legacylad
I sleep on one of these memory foam mattresses when I visit friends abroad. Their house is very cold. It heats up quickly. No hot water bottles or blankets needed. Especially after several margeritas.
 Memory Foam Mattresses, not a "Topper" - henry k
We have tried a topper and now have a matress.
Common matresses are foam with memory foam for the top two to three inches.
This combination gets a bit too warm in the middle of the summer.

IIRC sprung matresses with a memory foam top layer are available.
 Memory Foam Mattresses, not a "Topper" - Haywain
If you haven't had any experience of a 'memory foam' mattress, I'd advise you to try one before you buy if you have a dodgy back. I have arthritis in my lower spine.

A friend has a foam mattress on the spare bed at their holiday home - the first night was OK, the second night not so good, but after 3 nights, I was ready to go home.

Some years ago, thinking that a very firm mattress would be good for my back, that's what we bought - but after enduring it for years, we decided it was just too hard. A 'mattress topper' didn't help either and, in the end we settled on a fairly firm but good quality mattress. It's the best bet so far, but I've yet to find the perfect solution.
 Memory Foam Mattresses, not a "Topper" - bathtub tom
I suggest you try a 'memory foam' mattress for a while before you buy.

I found they make me sweat and the latest ones have 'wicking technology' to take away the moisture. Seems like they're admitting there's a problem.

I've just bought a traditional mattress to replace my 'ortho-firm' one.

You may find this thread useful: www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=12744&m=294067
 Memory Foam Mattresses, not a "Topper" - smokie
... or this thread www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?t=10433&v=f which I never updated - we got a pocket sprung mattress with memory foam layer. About teh most comfortable bed I've slept in. I've had to travel with work recently and been staying in 4* hotels, and they always remind me how good the home mattress is.

It came rolled, but was normal after an hour or so.

it was a Cloud 9 Memory Zone Pocket 1600
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 1 Feb 13 at 23:36
 Memory Foam Mattresses, not a "Topper" - Meldrew
Many thanks for both the general comments on these mattresses and the confirmation of my suspicion that they are not compatible with electric blankets.
 Memory Foam Mattresses, not a "Topper" - Alastairw
I bought a memory foam mattress this time last year. Possibly the best thing I have ever bought. As other say, it is very warm, to the extent that I have not really needed an extra blanket on topt of the duvet as I have done in previous winters.
 Memory Foam Mattresses, not a "Topper" - Roger.
We have a memory foam mattress, although it is not all memory foam - only the top 5 to 6 cm or so, I think.

We also have just bought a cheap "bounce back" mattress protector from ALDI - £6 or £7 quid IIRC. It adds a layer of softness as well as protecting the mattress. (NO, it's NOT a waterproof cover!)

We use a summer weight duvet all year - even in the cold spells.
Last edited by: Roger on Mon 4 Feb 13 at 00:00
Latest Forum Posts