Non-motoring > Delicate Catholics offended by crisps Miscellaneous
Thread Author: No FM2R Replies: 24

Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - No FM2R
This sort of stuff really annoys me;

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21306006

Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - Manatee
Truth is, the reaction was predictable and understandable. As was the response.

A clever bit of PR?

Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - CGNorwich
>> Truth is, the reaction was predictable and understandable. As was the response.
>>
Possibly

I remember hedgehog flavoured crisps and the subsequent hullaballoo from animal lovers.
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - No FM2R
But if they think its valid and acceptable to protest about a Virgin Mary, then what will they do about a bloody Mary?

The Freudian aspects are frightening!
Last edited by: Webmaster on Tue 12 Feb 13 at 12:21
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - PhilW
And these are the Catholics who believed that the Virgin Mary went to her husband and said "I'm a Virgin but I'm pregnant and it was the Holy Ghost who done it"
And Joseph said "Oh, that's OK then"

I was raised a Catholic!!
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - Armel Coussine
As a child of 10 I was one of only three Catholics in an otherwise Anglican boarding school. We had to get up early on Sundays to go to Mass at the convent on the other side of the racecourse in Nuwara Eliya, a mountain town in what is now Sri Lanka. But we then had a nice breakfast from the nuns, with brown sugar on our porridge, and after that had the run of the school while everyone else did the Anglican thing.

A boy called Charlesworth, a tough character who didn't mind a bit of agro, sometimes used to say to me in a significant voice: 'Bloody Mary!'. It didn't bother me at all because there was no connection with the BVM and I didn't know the Queen Mary in question had been a Catholic - indeed had never heard of her. So it just used to puzzle me, but as Charlesworth was incredibly thick - though formidable - I hardly gave it a thought.

Just thought that might interest you FMR.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Tue 12 Feb 13 at 12:21
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - Meldrew
Bound to be religious people who were offended, there aren't enough virgins around to care, one way or the other
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - R.P.
The thing is they would never dare to use the Prophet's image would they ? So pick on the religion that won't kick up a violent fuss - which seems to be trending in this enlightened age. Not that it bothers me who they portray or not. Cracking PR stunt, whether deliberate or not or just some sort of drug fugged thinking from some advertising type.

On the other hand moaning about this from an institution whose employees are notorious child abusers and find safe havens for the guilty seems a little rich.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 3 Feb 13 at 09:08
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - Zero
>> On the other hand moaning about this from an institution whose employees are notorious child
>> abusers and find safe havens for the guilty seems a little rich.

Why do you think the CC is so anti birth control, - ready supply of victims? And to keep its followers in abject poverty and ignorance of course.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 3 Feb 13 at 09:14
Watching series one of Mrs Brown's Boys last night there were some delicious swipes at the church - any religion that can't afford to take a little dig is beyond redemption. I doubt whether that overpriced sandwich shop had connected the name of their potato shavings with the church in first place.
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - Cliff Pope
The only religion it is impossible to offend is the good old C of E, because it doesn't really believe in anything very much.
Well, God, a little, but it's not a major stumbling block to membership.
You can offend a lot of them by talking about women Bishops or gay marriage very easily.
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - Bromptonaut
>> I doubt whether that overpriced sandwich shop had connected the name of their potato
>> shavings with the church in first place.

That looks right to me.

Virgin Mary is a well known term for tomato juice + worcester sauce but sans alcool.
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - Slidingpillar
Daft thing is, both the bloody mary and virgin mary are recognised names for cocktails and have been so for years.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Tue 12 Feb 13 at 12:20
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - Zero
>> Daft thing is, both the bloody mary and virgin mary are recognised names for cocktails

I would have been tempted by a packet of "slow comfortable screw against the wall" crisps, but I guess the name didn't fit on the packet.
Last edited by: Webmaster on Tue 12 Feb 13 at 12:20
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - Westpig
>> I would have been tempted by a packet of "slow comfortable screw against the wall"
>> crisps, but I guess the name didn't fit on the packet.
>>

Have you been on Screwfix Direct again?
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - Ambo
The fact that certain small cakes in France are called nun's farts does not seem to upset Catholics, but then this is the country that calls a certain type of cheese dog turds.
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - TeeCee
Smoked Mo-ham-med and mustard flavour?
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - zookeeper
cheese and onion crisps contain rennet, a product of a cows stomach.... so if you are hindu, vegetarian or both dont by crisps that appear harmless
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - Dog
I'm a pescatarian - I avoid smoky bacon flavoured crisps but don't mind the odd prawn cracker.

:}
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - Bromptonaut
>> cheese and onion crisps contain rennet, a product of a cows stomach.... so if you
>> are hindu, vegetarian or both dont by crisps that appear harmless

Several brands of mint imperials (pan drops in Scotland) contain pork fat. Wouldn't have thought about that before offering one to a Jewish or Muslim colleague.
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - Crankcase
They didn't think about tallow greased rifle cartridges in 1857 either , and look what happened.

Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - BobbyG
I think most of the outrage is directed towards the "they wouldn't do this to Sikhs / Muslims etc."

If it doesn't pass the " we wouldn't take the mickey put of Muslim / insert any other religion, then they shouldn't do it to Catholics / Christians.
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - Cliff Pope
>> cheese and onion crisps contain rennet, a product of a cows stomach.
>>

It is popularly believed that cheese and onion crisps are the only ones not suitable for vegetarians because they contain rennet, but that all the meat-flavoured ones are because they don't contain real meat.
 Delicate Catholics offended by crisps - neiltoo
I was told many years ago that the reason Walls moved into ice cream was that they had lots of pork fat to get rid of.

Allegedly

Hopefully not now true.

8o)
Last edited by: neiltoo on Mon 4 Feb 13 at 13:47
Latest Forum Posts