Non-motoring > Model trainset - assistance required Miscellaneous
Thread Author: BobbyG Replies: 12

Model trainset - assistance required - BobbyG
s264.beta.photobucket.com/user/Glasgow_Hospice/library/Train%20Set

We have had this donated to sell to raise funds - man who donated it said he had built it up over a number of years, spent hundreds of pounds on it.

It is mounted on a 6' x 4' board.

I have taken photos that hopefully will show enough that the geniuses on here will be able to advise on info for an ebay listing, likely prices etc etc.

Any help will be appreciated!

Model trainset - assistance required - Robin O'Reliant
A quick ebay trawl sows this at a Buy it Now price of £175 -

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Scenic-Model-Railway-Layout-New-Track-and-Points-/380551914107?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item589aa9627b

If I were selling yours I'd auction it with a reserve of £150. You need a full description of locos and rolling stock to interest the enthusiasts.
 Model trainset - assistance required - rtj70
£175 just for the track? Sounds expensive. My brothers were into trainsets when we were younger and we had a much larger set than that. Wonder what it would be worth now?
 Model trainset - assistance required - Slidingpillar
Photo 3, of the BR tank engine looks like mine - probably in my brothers loft!

If it is, it's a smoke effect loco with incredibly high power consumption. I eventually removed the smoke effect bits to make the engine more usable and cease stopping at the slightest sign of a high resistance bit of track.

I dare say were it complete it might be worth a bit as I bet loads of other owners did the same as me and ripped the smoke bits out.
 Model trainset - assistance required - Falkirk Bairn
Put it in for auction.

BTW is that BobbyG legless in the pictures of the track - top left!
 Model trainset - assistance required - DP
I have that 'Smokey Joe' engine in the 2nd pic.

Model trainset - assistance required - spamcan61
In general complete model railway layouts are difficult to sell, like 'customized' Corsas and the like, the return is seldom anything like the investment. I've seen 'premier league' well know layouts fetch relatively small sums (hundreds of quid) on eBay.

Having said that, the layout you have there looks well put together, and it's a practical size to sell i.e. it would actually fit in a normal size room, so that's a plus. Looks like it's one of the standard Hornby trackplans, at a rough guess there's at least a couple of hundred quid's worth of bits there (cost price I mean). I'll see if I can find any meaningful selling price comparisons over the weekend.

edit:worth keeping an eye on that one RR posted.
Last edited by: spamcan61 on Fri 8 Feb 13 at 17:12
whoops didn't notice the HM2000 controller, they're about 70 quid new IIRC.

>> I have that 'Smokey Joe' engine in the 2nd pic.
>>
Hornby have produced loads of variations on this engine over the years, Spamette Junior has one which runs really well.
>> Photo 3, of the BR tank engine looks like mine - probably in my brothers
>> loft!
>>
Hornby have had a model of a 'Jinty' in their range for about the last 50 years, this one looks like early 70s vintage at a guess; there certainly were versions with the smoke unit.
 Model trainset - assistance required - Dutchie
That looks a nice train set brings back memories.You should get a decent price either auction or E bay.Maybe auction if the money is for a good cause.Or set a minimum price on E bay not less than 150 pouds.
 Model trainset - assistance required - Cockle
Have you thought of contacting a local Model Railway Club. When I got rid of my old one, a few years back admittedly, my local club, and their members, were only too happy to take mine off me, at a fair price. They gave me a fair price for the lot and then some of their members bought various locos and the layout was used to enhance their club layout. Saved me having to dispose of it piecemeal and being left with the difficult to shift bits.

For clubs in your area have a look at this link:-

tinyurl.com/9wm5hd9
 Model trainset - assistance required - Bromptonaut
I too had a (tri-ang) Hornby Jinty with synchro smoke from around 1968.
Latest Forum Posts