Non-motoring > Con or what - is your Sky box working? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Tooslow Replies: 25

Con or what - is your Sky box working? - Tooslow
I've had three phone calls in the last couple of months, one of them addressing me by name, all asking if my Sky box is ok. I haven't got one (yes, it's me that they put the ads on tv for). All showing as "International" on call identifier, all with Indian accents, very apologetic when I say I haven't got one.

I can understand a mis dial but, as I say, I've been addressed by name. Surely they know who they're billing?
JH
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - Pat
I keep getting the same thing, addressed by name and an Indian accent, telling me they have rang to help me solve my computer problem??

Pat
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - Dave_
I haven't got one either. I think I might string them along for a bit if they ring me though ;-)
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - teabelly
The computer problem one is a scam. I think the skybox one is also a scam to sell you worthless insurance.

Best way to deal with them is to either stay silent or tell them you don't have a telephone....
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - borasport

>> Best way to deal with them is to either stay silent or tell them you
>> don't have a telephone....
>>

If find saying 'I'm very sorry, but I don't speak english' often confuses them sufficiently that they put the phone down on me - a technique I first honed on those blokes in service station car parks who had 'just been to and exhibition' and had watches/jackets whatever that they didn't want to take back to somewhere or other
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - teabelly
I'll have to remember the not speaking english one :-)
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - John H

tinyurl.com/2vpgbe5
tinyurl.com/25au4h4

Con or what - is your Sky box working? - mikeyb
The sky one is to sell you breakdown insurance - but if your system breaks down anyway just call SKY and tell them that you cant afford a repair so can you cancel your subscription - they put you through to their customer retention department who will then offer you a free repair as a good will gesture.

Its cheaper to keep existing customers than to get new ones.
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - Stuartli
There has been plenty of publicity over the past few years about two companies who are/were trading from similar outlets in Kirkby and Southport (Nationwide DSS LTD and Digital Satellite Warranty Cover Ltd on 01515475259 or 01704 884777; numbers may not apply now). They sought to offer satellite box cover through cold calls or mail shots, but should most definitely not be used.

Much respected Domestic and General is the warranty company recommended, I understand, by Sky.

The "computer" cold calling is most definitely a scam.
Last edited by: Stuartli on Tue 18 May 10 at 19:00
That's a whizzy toy!

No-one has tried to sell me anything. They're apologetic and then the phone goes down. By now though it's going down quicker at my end. Maybe the script doesn't allow for "I haven't got one".

JH
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - R.P.
There's a vid on YouTube - someone who just answers "Yes" to questions asked by telesales....funny.

Edit:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh4EPcOpSy8&feature=related
Last edited by: Pugugly on Tue 18 May 10 at 19:06
My sister strung a conservatory salesman along, telling him she was interested but repeatedly asking if the price included the bricks for the base. Yes, certainly, she was told time and again. So he finally thinks he has all but made a sale and wants to make an appointment, so she agrees a date/time and asks once again if the bricks are included in the price. "I only ask because I'd really like a conservatory but I'm on the 12th floor" she says. She lives in a semi but he wasn't to know. And she's not heard from them again. Wonder why?

JH
Last edited by: Tooslow on Tue 18 May 10 at 18:57
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - Stuu
The funny thing about your SKY box failing is that if you phone up and say its not working and your thinking of cancelling, suddenly the big price they stick on a new one is now free and they charge £15 to bring it over and plug it it.
Makes insurance for one of any kind a rather silly idea when you can get a new one free if you pretend you will be cancelling their £440 a year they get from you.
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - Harleyman
I tend to find that there is one two-word Anglo-Saxon phrase which cold callers the world over understand perfectly well!
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - R.P.
Yes Please ?
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - Runfer D'Hills
When these people ask for me by name I always say "I'll just go and get him, he's out in the garden, hold on a minute will you ?"

Then I go and do something else for a while........
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - Zero
The poor cold calling person is only doing a job. I always ask for the supervisor. Then I let rip
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - Pezzer
Can they smell it in India ? :-)
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - smokie
Isn't the supervisor also "only doing a job"?
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - Zero
yes but giving the poor operator a hard time as well, so its good they get something back. Besides, they are "management" and paid to take it.
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - Manatee
Quite right Z. I give thanks regularly that I'm not employed in a call centre, it's a carp job.
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - CGNorwich

If you get a lot of unwanted calls its a good idea to register with the Telephone Preference service
www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/

This will stop cold calls from legitimate companies, charities etc.

If you get repeated calls form the same number use "Last Caller Barring" service and/or "Anonymous Caller Reject" service. I think most companies have these - "TalkTalk" does.
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - VxFan
>> If you get repeated calls form the same number

Report them to your phone provider if you're registered with the TPS.

I reported a couple of numbers to BT a little while ago and, touch wood, no calls from the cold callers since.

You have to pay for "Last Caller Barring" service and/or "Anonymous Caller Reject" - well you do with BT anyway. Why should you have to pay to stop cold callers when a free call to BT does the same job.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 19 May 10 at 10:15
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - Iffy
Anyone get cold calls on their mobiles?

I had one the other day, from a landline, according to the little screen on my Nokia phone.

He tried two or three time before I answered - my mobile is often out of earshot.

He said he was with 3G - I'm with Virgin - but the call went no further as I politely, but very firmly, cut it short.

Con or what - is your Sky box working? - CGNorwich

Thats OK if you know the number but most of these outfits withhold their numbers. That's where the anonymous caller reject is useful. Personally don't have a problem but these calls can be a worry for the elderly and it can be worth the small charge phone companies charge for this service to avoid a lot of stress to elderly relatives.
 Con or what - is your Sky box working? - hjd
An increasing number of these "junk calls" now come from abroad, and thus outside the jurisdiction of the TPS.
I had one yesterday, from a man with a very strong Indian accent, who told me he was from an organisation (mumble mumble the name) which wanted to help me stop unwanted telephone calls.... The number on caller display was something like 364508.
I told him his call was a nuisance one, and put the phone down, resisting the temptation to blow a whistle very loudly down the line.
Latest Forum Posts