Non-motoring > Alert systems for older people. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Badwolf Replies: 21

Alert systems for older people. - Badwolf
Hello all,

My dad made a surprising, and heart-rending, confession today. He told me that, if he won the lottery, he would buy himself a flat in a warden controlled development so that if he collapses, he would be able to summon help quickly and easily. He's not really what I would class as old (68) but he has several health issues including diabetes, severe spinal arthritis and diverticulitis. He lives alone, a mile or so from me. My brother is a good twenty minute drive away.

Do any of you have any experience of the many, many systems that are available? I have to say that it would probably give me as much peace of mind as it would give my dad.

Cheers in advance.

Alert systems for older people. - T junction
Hi

Do you have an organisation like this www.ecalarms.com your way. They seem well regarded round here and a local charity often will help out with the annual monitoring fees.
 Alert systems for older people. - CGNorwich
Help the aged have just the thing.

www.ageuk.org.uk/buy/help-at-home/age-uk-personal-alarms/
 Alert systems for older people. - Badwolf
Looks good, thanks for that.

I've been looking at this, which seems to be good value and what I'm looking for:

www.callalert.co.uk/
 Alert systems for older people. - Dog
The ole woman is in the process of setting this up for her 87 year old owse bound dad.

£2 pw for the alarm and £3 pw for the response (Total of £3 pw if y'all receive housing benefit)

This is from Brentwood Council (Essex) so avva word with your local council, like.
 Alert systems for older people. - Slidingpillar
One of these:
tinyurl.com/cdjr42e

Takes 3 phone numbers, calls number 1 on the list, if acknowledged stops, but if not, calls number 2 etc.

No subscriptions, just need folk to call and take action if needed.
 Alert systems for older people. - Dog
That system would probably be ideal for Wolfies dad Slidiing p, but my 87 year old FiL doesn't really have anyone local who could respond mucho pronto.

He still sets light to rolled up tubes of dried leaves and inhales the fumes (I've told him it'll shorten his life)
The weekly cost of the alarm + responce at £5pw is less-than one packet of fags :)
 Alert systems for older people. - bathtub tom
I rented a system from the local housing association for MIL. A single button worn as a pendant, wirelessly called the loudspeaking main unit in the house. Answered 24/7 by a human, who had a list of contacts, or called the emergency services, depending on the response.

MIL lived in her privately owned bungalow.
 Alert systems for older people. - Bigtee
Build a ground floor extension on your home let him move in with you and you keep an eye on him. :-)
 Alert systems for older people. - Armel Coussine
I was hoping to find a link to a budget-priced system that would make me more alert. I am very disappointed.
 Alert systems for older people. - madf
>> I was hoping to find a link to a budget-priced system that would make me
>> more alert. I am very disappointed.
>>

Try a hair shirt.. You will never sleep..
 Alert systems for older people. - Armel Coussine
>> a hair shirt.. You will never sleep..

Good idea madf, and I was tempted for a moment having a saintly Catholic deeply buried in my psyche. Then I realised that the alertness obtained by inability to sleep would become something else after about 24 hours and recede still further with time. Red eyed and bad tempered are not really the same as alert. I know this from experience.
The use of corporal mortification devices is, I submit, something worthwhile that should not be treated as a curiosity. The Catholic Encycloplædia describes corporal mortification as "one of the methods which Christian ascesticism employs in training the soul to virtuous and holy living." According to Catholic teaching, mortification is efficacious in two ways: first, the act itself (the physical pain) helps one to lose the desire of sin (cf. for example, I find maintaining custody of the eyes is easier on an empty stomach) and secondly, because the good will in disciplining one's self merits extra graces from God.

rencesvals.blogspot.co.uk/2009/11/corporal-mortification-devices.html
If you really want one madf you can buy one for $49 plus shipping

www.cilice.co.uk/hairshirts.php
I married an alert system many years ago...
 Alert systems for older people. - Roger.
Be alert - your country needs lerts.
In comparison with some of theses weird religious beliefs, even David Icke seems sane.
>In comparison with some of theses weird religious beliefs

On about UKIP again ;-)
One could say the same about the other three main parties - the Conservatives, Labour or Liberal Democrats!
Of course your implication is that all political beliefs are weird!
Well, perhaps they are, but it's what makes a democracy - beliefs honestly held and freedom to state them.
(By the way, I went, as an observer, to the formation of a new UKIP branch in Newark this evening and I can report that all attendees were thoroughly normal!)
Last edited by: Roger on Wed 20 Feb 13 at 00:36
 Alert systems for older people. - Duncan
>> (By the way, I went, as an observer, to the formation of a new UKIP branch in Newark this evening and I can report that all attendees were thoroughly normal!)
>>

By whose standards, pray?
Well, none of us had horns and a tail and carried a trident, if that's what you mean!
I would say a cross section of society, age range from about 30 upwards.
We were certainly the oldest there by a good margin, which is why, when our own area branch is formed next month, we will eschew prominent office, although the secretary or treasurer's jobs may be on (and have a lower public profile). No need to reinforce false stereotypes!
OTH we are happy to take a back seat and let the youngsters (relative to our creaky selves) have at it.
 Alert systems for older people. - Runfer D'Hills
I can't see how I'll ever be able to afford not to work so I'll rely on the smell to alert others to a pressing issue...
Latest Forum Posts