Non-motoring > Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: bathtub tom Replies: 39

Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - bathtub tom
My old Brawn has died. It was getting a bit like Trigger's broom, in that it'd had several new foils and cutters and I'd changed the battery (AA NiMH) at least once.

It would seem the rotary head is highly rated, but I had one years ago and didn't think much of them.
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Crankcase
In the well known spirit of replying without answering the question, I've just recently changed to using, for the first time, a proper double edged safety blade razor. I've never got on with cartridge multi-bladed razors and their high costs and marginal results or electric razors and their so so results.

It's wondrous, much cheaper, much better results, much more entertaining to do and of course, takes forever in comparison.
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - corax
>> In the well known spirit of replying without answering the question, I've just recently changed
>> to using, for the first time, a proper double edged safety blade razor.

I have just acquired an Edwin Jagger safety razor for more accurate trimming of my beard. Modern cartridge types are useless. It turns shaving into an event. And the blades? Scarily sharp.
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Crankcase
Exactly the same one for me, corax. Derby blades at the minute.

As to mention of buying 8 Gillette cartridges for a year, or even each lasting a couple of weeks - well, the best I ever got out of any of those was three shaves, then they start to cut and tug. I must have barbed wire.

>> Exactly the same one for me, corax. Derby blades at the minute.

Snap!!

>> I must have barbed
>> wire.

They never last long for me either. I've put off growing a beard for years, but finally succumbed because I got fed up of the baby face clean shaven look. The thing that put me off was the itchiness, but I found after about two weeks that disappears. After a couple of months of growth, I'm liking the look. The plan was to go back to stubble in the summer, but it's become like an old friend that I'm reluctant to lose, so here it stays, albeit trimmed with my trusty Remington beard trimmer. In fact I don't know why I didn't do it sooner.
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Dog
>>I've put off growing a beard for years, but finally succumbed because I got fed up of the baby face clean shaven look<<

What does the ole woman think of it corax?

My m8 Laurie reckons he used his beard as an aid to lovemaking, Lord knows what he got up to in his, eh, isolated moorland cottage.
>> What does the ole woman think of it corax?

Dunno, I don't have one, so I can do what I want :)

>> My m8 Laurie reckons he used his beard as an aid to lovemaking, Lord knows
>> what he got up to in his, eh, isolated moorland cottage.

That reminds me of this (near the end).

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wf7a2f89iv4

I'm well aware of the hygiene side of beards and moustaches though.

Years ago when I was working at a printers, one of the guy's working in the litho plate department was complaining about a smell. No one else noticed it, but he was insistent about it all day.

It turns out he had been drinking a pint of milk that morning and some of it had got caught in his moustache and gone rancid :(
I've been a weirdy beardy on and orf since the late 70's, shaved it off when we lived in Tenerife then grew it back in Cornwall.

I keep it neatly trimmed though, I shave my neck area with that Braun series 3 petrol then use a Panasonic trimmer to hack off any stragglers.

I have to larf when I look on the floor and see all the grey whiskers though :)
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Manatee
I bought a Philips rotary just over 2 years ago and I'm very pleased with it. Looking it up on Amazon points to this as the latest version -

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004ZWTU8W

It never seems to run down - I charge it when I think about it, usually when I'm going away for a day or two and that seems to have kept if going.

It's not a wet-or-dry job but you can rinse the head under the tap and it has a trimmer.

The Philips models all look much alike but just be aware that some models have a long charge time and shorter running time.

Looks a bit pricey - I think mine was about £50. It was a HQ7390/17 if you want to compare.
Deesa good m8:

www.amazon.co.uk/Braun-Series-320s-4-Electric-Rechargeable/dp/B0050AJ0LU/ref=sr_1_56?ie=UTF8&qid=1361280128&sr=8-56
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Ambo
I can't get on with rotary savers at all. I currently run a Braun for above the jawline but my Panasonic is best for my neck. Neither is brilliant at holding a charge.

Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Dutchie
I've gone back to razors blades bit more work but a decent shave.
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Robin O'Reliant
>> I've gone back to razors blades bit more work but a decent shave.
>>
Same here. A pack of Bic disposables every now and then is less hassle and also free as I add them to Mrs RR's shopping list.
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Zero
I am a philips man, on my second, previous one lasted 13 years. I am currently using the previous version of this one

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4436584.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Fenlander
Agree with the thumbs up for Phillips. My last one was fine for years until nail varnish remover spilt on it raised the plastic surface like tree bark. On a whim I bought a £60 Panasonic and after just 18mths that will only hold a charge for about 3 or 4 full shaves.... and when the charge dies it does so rapidly mid shave. The Phillips was far better in that respect.
Last edited by: Fenlander on Tue 19 Feb 13 at 14:57
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Robin O'Reliant
>> My last one was fine for years until
>> nail varnish remover spilt on it raised the plastic surface like tree bark.
>>

So, you use nail varnish remover then, Fen?
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Fenlander
>>>So, you use nail varnish remover then, Fen?

Only for getting those stubbon marks off the bike.
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Londoner
I got a Philips PT860 about a year ago. Three rotary heads. Holds a charge all week when I take it away. Gives a nice close shave of my old bristles.

Best electric shaver I've ever had - but have only tried Braun & Remington before.
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - CGNorwich
I use the cheapest disposable razors available in the supermarket. Normally buy the packs of 20 They last about 3 shaves each. OK you get a few cuts but a bit of toilet roll stuck on the cut soon stops the bleeding.
Last edited by: CGNorwich on Tue 19 Feb 13 at 15:48
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - madf
I buy Gillette Fusion ProGlide: a lovely smooth shave.

Blades in bulk from Amazon 8 last a year.. £17.

What's to complain about?

What is a "cut" ? :-)
Last edited by: madf on Tue 19 Feb 13 at 15:56
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Londoner
>> What is a "cut" ? :-)
>>
A "cut" is an increase in expenditure by the Lib-Con Coalition which is a smaller increase than the Labour opposition would have made if they had been in power!. ;-)

Last edited by: Londoner on Tue 19 Feb 13 at 16:05
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Roger.
I became unhappy at the cost of Gillette Fusion blades. I never got more than three weeks out of one blade and sometimes less.
I changed to a Philips Aquatouch AT890 Wet and Dry Rechargeable Electric Shaver with Pop Up Trimmer,rotary wet & dry, which last year cost £49, on special offer, from Amazon.
I use it wet, but not in the shower, as the shaving foam washes off too quickly and it gives a decent enough shave.
I think I will save its cost reasonably quickly by not buying Gillette's over priced blades.
"What is a cut"

A way of checking if you are still alive.

One razor blade every 6 weeks - that's mighty economical!
With a electric job I need to shave twice a day.Just had a nice bath and a wet shave face is like a baby's bottum.
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Mapmaker
madf>>Blades in bulk from Amazon 8 last a year.. £17.

No way. They're quite likely to be fakes, just like the ones you buy from the market without cardboard wrappers.
>> I use the cheapest disposable razors available in the supermarket. Normally buy the packs of
>> 20 They last about 3 shaves each. OK you get a few cuts but a
>> bit of toilet roll stuck on the cut soon stops the bleeding.

Ah that's just class CG. You know how to treat yourself :)
As CJ might have said to Reggie "I didn't get where I am today by spending all my money on razor blades".
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Meldrew
IF you decide to go the Brawn route, I bought one a year ago for travel and while it was £250 in Boots it was £86 at Amazon, for a series 5
Last edited by: VxFan on Fri 22 Feb 13 at 10:10
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Rudedog
As someone who's had to shave daily since I was 13 I've always used electric I couldn't bare a sharp blade on my skin so often. I now buy Philips rotary shavers and usaully near the top of the range where possible, these ones are self cleaning if you want to do that, mine will hold a charge that lasts a week away on holiday camping, and AFAIK they are still made in the Netherlands (well mine was).
They are made in Eindhoven.Long way from Breda the horse place.>;)
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - -
I've been using Philishave HG model too, i run two shavers one charged and waiting and the other in use, then if one dies i'm not shaverless...hate having to buy in a panic and get fleeced.

One of them died recently and i bought a new sealed but graded almost identical Remington (Titanium model) three headed washable shaver, not quite as good as the Philly but not bad either plus easily replaceable rechargeable batteries where the Philly's are soldered in.

I do things slightly differently, i only buy washable shavers and wet shave.

Wash clock with normal soap and water and rinse, then lather with a shaving gel (very wet so thin mix, shaving foam no good for this) and wet shave as you would with a razor, works for me.

As a bonus cos the shaving heads are always wet lubricated they never wear out.
I bet you was good at essay's at school Gordon.>:)

My procedure was.Lay in bath washed hair .After washing hair rinsed off soap.Added conditioner to hair.Whilst conditioner working, wet face with bathwater put shaving gel on wet face.Got razer blade and shaved.Dipped racer blade in cup of warm water to clean blade.
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Zero

>> I do things slightly differently, i only buy washable shavers and wet shave.
>>
>> Wash clock with normal soap and water and rinse, then lather with a shaving gel
>> (very wet so thin mix, shaving foam no good for this) and wet shave as
>> you would with a razor, works for me.

I cant see the point in going through all the faff you have to do for a wet shave, and then not getting a blade on your skin and the shave that goes with it.

I only use an electric because I dont want all that faff.

Have to say tho, when working in Holborn in the 70s, I used to treat myself to a wet shave at a old fashioned gentleman's barbers once a week. Badger brush, bowl, real hot foamy soap, the swish of the cutthroat on the strop, the feel of the blade followed by the red hot towel round the head.

Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Alastairw
Never really got on with 'leccy razors - don't feel properly clean.

I now use a King of Shaves Azor, the blades for which seem to last for ages. Of course I may have unusually soft bristles...

I experimented with a beard for while, but it was disconcertingly ginger - though it would probably be grey nowadays.
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Bromptonaut
Currently using a Phillishave 3 head. Keeps charge fine so long as I recognise when its slowing off and stick it on charge.

Light duty though. Had a goatee since 1996 and growth on cheeks is 'sparse'.
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - bathtub tom
The concensus seems to favour Philips over Braun.

I'm going (more or less) for the one Zeddo favours, Philips PT720. I looked into the cost of replacement heads and it would seem that even the much more expensive models use the same. On the theory that's what does the work, I made my choice.

The razor's only a couple of quid more than a set of heads!
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Runfer D'Hills
>>Had a goatee since 1996...

Do you drive in a hat too?

:-)
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - sajid
i use a combination of a wet dry panasonic la93 wet/dry with its own self cleaning charger, its a 4 blade turbo jobbo.

And i use a king of shaves azore to use it where the panasonic misses, used to have a philips rotary, years ago with the panasonic, it cuts better and smoother than the philips, however since i have had it, the shaver has been indicating that the blade, and foils needs changing, and i cant get the thing to reset, so i just ignore it.

my lesson is to buy the midrange model, rather than the top of the range as you still get some features, but you gotta question if that is worth the extra?

Last edited by: sajid on Wed 20 Feb 13 at 17:40
 Re-chargeable shaver recommendations please? - Roger.
>> >>Had a goatee since 1996...
>>
>> Do you drive in a hat too?
>>
>> :-)
>>

Nah - Jesus sandals, I bet. ;-)
Latest Forum Posts