Non-motoring > New fridge required Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 28

New fridge required - MD
Quick one guys and Pat!

Fridge went kaput last night. Does anyone have a reco' for any make and model etc.

We need tall larder type. Must be fan driven, i.e. fan assisted when the door is shut. Can't have the Vin Blanc getting tepid.

Best...........Martin.
 New fridge required - Pat
Oh Martin, I feel very inadequate now:)

Aske me what size spanner to use to wind trailer brakes off or what seeds to sow, and when, then I can help you!
Fridge........it stands there and does it's job, when it stops working it gets replaced with nearest and cheapest usually! They always last at least 8 years for around £120 so I'm not complaining.

I'm going to whisper this..........I like my Vin Rouge chilled:)

Pat
Last edited by: pda on Thu 20 May 10 at 08:25
 New fridge required - Zero
>> I'm going to whisper this..........I like my Vin Rouge chilled:)

Ah the uncouth peasants from the swamp, what to do with them, I dont know.
 New fridge required - Armel Coussine
>> Ah the uncouth peasants from the swamp,

In Ndjamena, Chad, in 1982 or 83, somewhat battered after months of urban fighting, a new Sudanese restaurant was discovered by a French doctor. He said they had a nice dish made from chopped meat. I went there with a bunch of French medics to get a change from the very monotonous hotel food. We sat at a long table on the verandah. The restaurant was Muslim but willing to send a boy to the bar down the street for wine. My Frog companions called for a couple of bottles of red. It came in whisky bottles, straight from the fridge.

Glasses were poured and sipped. There was a very long silence. Eventually the senior French surgeon said in a strangled voice: 'Well, it's wine.' No one thought they would be able to drink much of it. As it warmed up, however, it revealed itself as some sort of very robust North African stuff, quite strong too, and more bottles were quickly ordered so that they would have time to reach, er, room temperature. By the end of dinner everyone was in quite a good mood.

Honestly, Pat, doesn't it taste a bit better when it's been in the glass for half an hour? Even Beaujolais seems better warm to me. But tastes do differ...
 New fridge required - R.P.
Vin Rouge chilled

WHAT ?!
 New fridge required - teabelly
Not particularly but miele always make high quality long lasting appliances. But saying that my parents hotpoint larder fridge is donkeys and still works fine. No fan but I don't think there is an issue with wine not being chilled!

I've an ordinary hotpoint and milk is well cold even in the door area. Unless you are one of those households that stand in front of the fridge with the door open continually wondering then I don't think you'd have a problem with any fridge :-)
 New fridge required - Bigtee
Zanussi got 1x sepperate freezer and 1x under counter fridge both over 12 years old and still at it.
 New fridge required - NortonES2
Zanussi fridge and freezer here also: both getting on. 27 years old! Freezer relegated/unused now. It consumed 25% of the house electrical usage. Can manage without freezer, so will not bother until replacing the fridge.
 New fridge required - WillDeBeest
John Lewis has an own-brand range that is solid and good value. We're pleased with the frost-free tall freezer we've had for three years and we're planning to order the tall larder fridge from the same range for the kitchen in our new house. Not sure if it matches your exact technical spec but it ought to be worth a look.

And yes, Pat - certain vins rouges go down very nicely a little below room temp.
 New fridge required - Clk Sec
>>certain vins rouges go down very nicely a little below room temp.

Chateau Hedgerow 2009 being one of them :)
Don't know about the fan bit, but our Bosch fridge freezer has given excellent service over many years.

Keeps the wine cool, as well.
 New fridge required - Bromptonaut
>> Don't know about the fan bit, but our Bosch fridge freezer has given excellent service
>> over many years.
>>
>> Keeps the wine cool, as well.

Another vote for Bosch (albeit with no idea about fans). We've had to replace a handle and the seals are going after 13years but parts are easily obtainable.

The 'beer fridge' in the garage is a 1987 Zanussi - still going strong though with some rust on the casing.
>>We've had to replace a handle

I had to replace both handles on ours about 3 years ago, but, as you say, parts are easily obtainable.
 New fridge required - RichardW
I very nearly bought a Miele fridge freezer - the action on the door handle was sublime. Then I saw the price.... Bought a Bosch instead that was half the price and has been fine over 8 years.
 New fridge required - Dog
I'd gofer The Appliance of Science as well, like.
I have a bosch fridge, its three years old, and the plastic is cracking.
 New fridge required - VxFan
>> Fridge went kaput last night.

I take it you've checked the fuse and tried it in a different mains socket? That is of course if the light isn't coming on when you open the door.

Like a cars aircon system, it might just need a top up of refrigerant gas. Might be cheaper than shelling out for a new fridge.
if its lost gas, it has a leak.
 New fridge required - -
Our tall larder fridge is a Leibherr, i'd certainly recommend it and Bosch/Seimens though no doubt the other good quality makes eg Miele are equally robust and reliable.

The big difference between better makes and others is in the quality of the fittings etc nothing breaks or falls off, i've bought cheaper makes years ago and the interiors just fell apart their overall life span making them more expensive overall and disappointing.
 New fridge required - Iffy
Another vote for chilled red wine, particularly if it's light and cheap.

I'd go room temp for a decent quality red wine with a full flavour.

My mother has her wine topped up with about half as much water.

If that's how you like it, why not?

As regards fridges, the current appliance at Ifithelps Towers is a Philips which was left by the last owner.

It is a fridge freezer, and like an earlier poster, I've decided to turn off the freezer - it has separate compressors which many modern ones do not.

When it needs replacing, I expect I will buy whatever is not quite the cheapest at the local white goods shed.

The only advice I would offer is try to get one that doesn't use too much juice, and don't get one that's too big, they run more efficiently when there's plenty of food in them.

I'm not convinced the likes of Miele are worth the enormous price premium.

If money were literally no object, I might buy one.
> Another vote for chilled red wine, particularly if it's light and cheap

You mean thin nasty red wine, where room temperature would bring out the vinegar.

On the red wine front, we have gone off the overoaked overdone Australian reds. Her indoors has got a taste for Bardolino.
 New fridge required - Mapmaker
Or, Pinot Noir generally tastes better cooler - though not chilled. I bought a case of some really quite expensive Burgundy that was deeply disappointing. One very hot summer evening, fancying something red, but also chilled, I stuffed one of these miserable bottles into the fridge. Lo and behold, it bloomed into something spectacular!
 New fridge required - Dog
>>Her indoors has got a taste for Bardolino.<<

May I be so bold as to suggest a 1986 Castello Metanano ~ best to enjoyed in Winter!
 New fridge required - Armel Coussine
My old motoring buddy has a taste for something rough and Sicilian, called Primitivo I think, don't know if that's the name or the description...
 New fridge required - rtj70
>> Bardolino

Thread drift I know but I'd put this in the wine I'd want slightly chilled. Very drinkable but obviously not the full bodied variety I prefer.

If anyone recommends a good freezer along the way too, that would be useful although I might plump for a JLP own branded or Bosch. Our new house will have a under counter fridge in the kitchen next Thursday but we'll have a freezer in the cellar.

Next Monday will be sad.... there's goes the dream car fund when I transfer money to the solicitor :-) Not really sad of course. Champagne already in the fridge here.
 New fridge required - John H

>>
>> We need tall larder type. Must be fan driven, i.e. fan assisted when the door
>> is shut. Can't have the Vin Blanc getting tepid.
>>

fan assisted meaning frost-free?
 New fridge required - tyro
We needed a new tall larder fridge a couple of years ago. We opted for a Miele one in the end.

Believe it or not, it's been the most unreliable fridge I've ever encountered.

However Miele have a good warranty and service department!
 New fridge required - Arctophile
Have you tried turning the fridge upside down for ten minutes... or is that just one of those internet myths?

Otherwise another vote for John Lewis own brand, I think ours are Zanussi in disguise.
 New fridge required - Tooslow
Well we bought a Miele two (if I say two it must be three. Or maybe four) years ago after our AEG packed in. It's a frost free thingy, though I think they all are these days. A or A+ rated. I note that you can't use one of the energy saving plugs on it which makes me think that the function is already built in. www.nigelsecostore.com/acatalog/savaplug.html It's built like a tank (that's a compliment) and I don't recall that it was hideously expensive (at JL). Though if it were I would have blanked that out by now. Critical thing was the dimensions, inside, were about what we wanted and the split between freezer and fridge about right. A great many seem to have a huge freezer and a dinky fridge.

Very happy with it.

JH
Latest Forum Posts