Non-motoring > Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 44

Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - VxFan

Further discussion on the horse/beef saga.

Volume 2

Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 25 Feb 13 at 19:46
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - madf
Ikea meatballs do a runner...

www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/9892276/Horse-meat-found-in-Ikea-meatballs.html
Last edited by: VxFan on Mon 25 Feb 13 at 19:47
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - Manatee
Oh dear. One of my vices and occasional forays into the world of processed food (except for bacon and sausages of course) is the odd packet of "pork meatballs" from Ocado, cooked processed things which used to be labelled as a Waitrose product - they have been unbranded for a while.

goo.gl/gPgfD

Even 'unbranded' products usually have some sort of made up name on them, but these don't. The details say they are produced in Germany for Winterbotham Derby in Redhill, there the trail ends.

I'll migrate to the raw, free range Waitrose ones next order and cook them myself. Won't stop me eating the packet in the fridge though.
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - Dog
Ole woman bought some Linda McCartney veggie pies, so I cooks em last night with chips (healthy eating, see)

So I looks on the carton and I can assure you that a beef pie con-taining orse would be a much healthier option.

Wood knot buy THOSE again!
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - zookeeper
I bought some lovely looking beef tomatoes sunday afternoon to do a salad for tea, im sure they were contaminated with horse-radish?
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - Cliff Pope
>> The details say they are produced in Germany for Winterbotham Derby in Redhill,
>>

Not Shirgar then - that was Epsom.
 And now, pork in elk - smokie
Whatever next?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-22051117
 And now, pork in elk - madf
Further tests were carried out, and Ikea confirmed that one batch of the lasagne made by the suppliers Familjen Dafgard, with an expiry date in January 2014, contained 1.4% pork.

A total of 17,600 lasagnes have been removed from the shelves.

Swedish newspaper the Local quoted the meat suppliers as saying the contamination was due to its facilities not being cleaned properly between the handling of different animals and that it was taking steps to improve its practice

Pull the other one.. 246 lasagnes equivalent contained all pork (1.4% of 17,600).

If the average lasagne weighed 400gms and 25% of it's meat is weight .. that's 24.6kgs of pork.. (indicative only of course).

If they did seriously mean the packing line was not cleaned of 24.6kgs of pork.. then the cleaning was rubbish. That's NOT poor cleaning... (or if it was, someone should be facing disciplinary charges at best)
 And now, pork in elk - Roger.
Pork mince , 50/50 with cow mince improves the bol. sauce base considerably.
Last edited by: Roger on Sat 6 Apr 13 at 14:53
 And now, pork in elk - rtj70
Doesn't a proper Bolognese ragu have both pork and beef mince?
 No horsemeat bonanza from Grand National - Armel Coussine
A bloodless National as far as I could tell, so no horsemeat glut this year. So my each-way mug punt on a favourite and an outsider - the wrong one unfortunately - has just cost me 20 quid, down the drain, damn. My outsider featured early on but faded. The favourite never got anywhere.

Anyone here win a dinner for two at the Ivy?
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Sat 6 Apr 13 at 17:21
 No horsemeat bonanza from Grand National - Cliff Pope
>>
>>
>> Anyone here win a dinner for two at the Ivy?
>>

No. Out checking my daughter's horse was safe and hadn't been half-inched for processing, got back just too late to watch the race. It's hard to keep track of everything.
Further traces of Horse found in Tesco ;)

www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/05/woman-horse-supermarket-neknomination-challenge
youtu.be/3O_y0VvCoF0
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 5 Feb 14 at 13:26
Tesco are now starting to deliver live mice

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-31787966

;)
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - Dutchie
We used to eat horsemeat when we where kids.Bit stringy but it taste ok.Proberly British racing horses or maybe Gypsy depended on the butcher.
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - Haywain
How utterly, utterly awful - I doubt they will ever recover from the anguish. Have they sent in specially trained counsellors to help them get over it ......... and can any compensation ever be sufficient to take away the pain of seeing a ...... a ......... mouse?
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - Bromptonaut
>> How utterly, utterly awful - I doubt they will ever recover from the anguish. Have
>> they sent in specially trained counsellors to help them get over it ......... and can
>> any compensation ever be sufficient to take away the pain of seeing a ...... a
>> ......... mouse?

Agree with Haywain. I had a rat in my garden last year, surely that worth even more counselling than a mouse?

If they'd found it dead in their salad or sliced in a loaf then I might be more understanding but this looks like a case for which the letters FFS were invented.

Mice are always going to be a problem where food is stored and occasionally spilled. I'm sure Tesco make a significant effort to control them and prevent them form becoming an infestation.

But there will always be the odd one.
"I had a rat in my garden last year, surely that worth even more counselling than a mouse?"

Seven or eight years ago, a rat actually moved into the house with us. We could hear the gnawing and the scratching coming from between the floors of the house and from the loft, but we didn't actually see the critter. It was only when we found its rugby-ball sized droppings (OK, slight exaggeration) that we knew for definite that it was a rat and not a mouse.

We set every sort of trap that we could get hold of - cages, rat-sized self-set traps with spikes, poison baits, sonic vermin deterrents; we put them in the loft, in the garage and behind the bath panels. We were starting to get a bit paranoid about the wretched beast having heard about the damage that can be done when vermin chew through electrical cables etc - and the scuttling and scratching would keep us awake at night.

Then one day we found him dead on the garage floor having exsanguinated from a wound on his head. He lay beside a self-set trap, but not actually in it. The kids and their mates came round to look at him and go " uuuurgh!" I picked him up by the tail and took him out to the bin; he was actually quite weighty and landed in the bottom of the bin with a thud. [As the council hadn't specified which colour bin we should use for dead rats, I chose the black one]. Not that they had ever seen one, but the kids reckoned he was 'as big as a beaver'.

We theorised that he had been struck by the self-set trap as it went off and that he had bled to death as a result of anti-coagulants contained in the poison that he had eaten.

Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - Bromptonaut
Ours never got beyond the garden but it frolicked around on terrace and would have been in house in a blink if (as in summer) back and/or patio doors were open. We set traps to no avail except, to out mortal shame, injuring a fledgling Blackbird.

Turned out it was living under next door's shed but had runs/tunnels under fence to our garden where it presumably found food - mostly scatterings from bird feeders. Fortunately next door's lad played footy with the Council pest control chappy's son. Rat man came round and laid copious bait - twice. In a short period we found three dead between our garden and next doors. At least one adult and two probably juveniles.

Nothing since but first anniversary is still around the corner - I guess they spread out an start to breed out of doors when weather warms up.
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - henry k
The last time I found rats they were in my plastic compost bin.
The bin was pretty full but they had tunneled up to reach the raw vegetable cuttings at the top of the pile. Some youngsters did not survive my attack but the adults escaped !!!

I have read lots of articles about rats and problems with plastic bins but the solution to stop an attack from the base is simple but I have never seen it published.
I bought one of those 3 x 3 feet of stiff galvanised mesh and the bin sits on that. Simples.
Not seen any rats in the years since, I just hope the do not chew through the side of the bin.
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - madf
>> How utterly, utterly awful - I doubt they will ever recover from the anguish. Have
>> they sent in specially trained counsellors to help them get over it ......... and can
>> any compensation ever be sufficient to take away the pain of seeing a ...... a
>> ......... mouse?
>>

"Under the plans to be debated by members (of teh Green Pary) , Article Five of the UN Declaration of Human Rights – stating “no one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment” – would be extended to “all sentient life forms”.

tinyurl.com/nsaq9xm Daily Telegraph

Mice have feelings too. That treatment would mean the householder would be jailed for cruelty... to mice...

As for beekeepers..:-)
Last edited by: madf on Mon 9 Mar 15 at 15:48
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - Armel Coussine
The rats hang out with the chickens, a couple of hundred yards away across a field. But they do turn up here sometimes, rootling in the compost heap.

You can shoot them if you have a gun or rifle handy and can get a clear shot. But they're busy little so-and-sos and don't stay in one place for long, unlike silly rabbits which think they're invisible if they don't move.

The mole man came yesterday or so and killed three. I was amazed to be told he charges 50 quid a corpse. He ought to save the skins and make trousers out of them for that sort of money.
"The mole man came yesterday or so and killed three."

Does he give you the corpses? ........... or does he hang on to them and produce them for his next client?

;-)
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - Armel Coussine
>> Does he give you the corpses? ........... or does he hang on to them and produce them for his next client?

I have sometimes wondered. But I don't deal with the mole man myself. I still miss his predecessor who had the wonderful molecatcher's name Mr Voak.

If you go out at the right time of day you can spot the hills forming and blast the mole underground with a 12 bore. Cousin across the lawn does it.

They're a bit of a pest here. There seem to be a lot at the moment.
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - Pat
Mine has reappeared with two enormous mole hills in the lawn.

Moles breed from February to July so will be active at the moment.

Pat
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - Crankcase
Funnily enough, saw a brown rat in our garden only yesterday, never having seen one before. It was perched in the tree helping itself to the bird food.

Not entirely sure how to proceed, my first port of call was the council website, where it said "ooh, nasty, end of the world, children for miles around will spontaneously die, and by the way we don't do pest control any more, goodness me, what ever do you think you pay £165 a month council tax for, suggest you ring a commercial pest control service."

Which as yet, I haven't. Not really sure whether to bring in the bird food for a week or two and hope it all goes away and was a one off, or to make the call to Rentokil immediately, for undoubtedly many hundreds of your Earth pounds, to be honest.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 9 Mar 15 at 19:59
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - Zero

>> Which as yet, I haven't. Not really sure whether to bring in the bird food
>> for a week or two and hope it all goes away and was a one
>> off, or to make the call to Rentokil immediately,

Well space creature, it is like this. You can never exterminate the population of rats completely, so they will always be back. They have always been there, close at hand, but you have only just noticed them, probably because you supply food. Stop the food and someone else can see them and you can go back to blissful ignorance with a fatter earth wallet than you would have had.
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - R.P.
We had mice in the garage.... A short, one sided but b***** campaign resulted where I netted seven of them in some rather trick Rentokil traps from Amazon. All beautifully marked little field mice. The dogs were no good, despite one of them involved in a mexican stand-off one evening...he stared us out....made me feel bad about the mounting body count. Traps have remained unsprung all week......time will tell...
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - bathtub tom
Not real dogs then.

Recall a farmer's wife friend of ours taking my young children with her to feed the chickens. Opened barn door and there was a mouse sitting on top of the chicken feed. Springer downed it one!
It was the Springer. Usually he's up for something like that - but not that night. Maybe it was the mouse's cam'd up face and the cross bandoliers that spooked him
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - smokie
Had a rat in the loft a few ears back, I set traps (sonic and large mousetraps) and put a sonic thing in the power. He eventually disappeared, not sure if he's up there dead or couldn't stand the noise any more. He did trash some of my daughters schoolbooks though.

Last year next door said they'd seen a rat in their garden, and it had come into ours. I've now got a baitbox and put those blue tablets into it when I remember. Something is rather partial to them but I've not seen and bodies.

Shortly after my cat brought one in from the garden, it could have been the same one. It was lying on it's side looking dead but I couldn't see any injuries. So I went and got a gardening glove to pick it up (by the tail) and sure enough it was still alive. Rather cruelly I put it in a screw top jar in the garage and left it for dead.

Oh, and after the above I cleared out one of my sheds, and there was evidence of rat in there. Again, could be the same one - but I suspect there is a small army of them out there.

I do have a composter, maybe I will take the tip about galvanised mesh above.
>>Had a rat in the loft a few ears back, I set traps (sonic and large mousetraps) and put a sonic thing in the power.

D'you reckon those ultrasonic jobbies work smokey? I be thinking about getting the 30 sov ones on Amazon - for the flies!

I've caught quite a few rats over this winter. GINORMOUS things they were. I use a trap like a mouse trap but mucho bigger with peanut but in it innit.

They get in my kitchen through a hole in the plasterboard. I can see the hole under the kitchen units, but I can't get to it without removing said unit.

I tried some Neosorexa poison bait = waste of money!
 Horse Meat Scandal - Volume 3 - smokie
Can't tell if they work or not Dog. It was not long after I put it in that the rat disappeared. Peanut butter in the big trap wasn't appealing to him. Not heard any more since then either, but that was the first I'd ever heard in over 20 years here.

I just had a squint at Amazon, there is a huge range - in style and price. I think mine was around £30.
>>Can't tell if they work or not Dog

Okey dokey. You must be using the wrong peanut butter, it has to be Whole Earth, and organic too, or they wont touch it :}

This is the jobbie I was con-sidering on Amazon: preview.tinyurl.com/n8d29wv

"D'you reckon those ultrasonic jobbies work smokey?"

At the time that we entertained the rat in our loft, I asked a colleague about the effectiveness of the sonic devices; he worked for a company that marketed the fairly inexpensive type that just 'plug in' - i.e. about £20 for 3 or 4.

He said that they won't get rid of an established infestation, but they will help deter fresh visitors. He put it like this:

"Imagine you are looking to move into a new house and, on checking the prospective dwelling you find a noisy party going on and then, when you look again later, the party is still going on - then you'd look for a more pleasant neighbourhood. If you are already established in a place, and noisy neighbours move in next door, it's going to take some time before you decide to give up and look for somewhere more peaceful."

We've got a couple of 'repellers' in the loft space and one in the garage - and we've had no vermin trouble since. However, I've no scientific proof that the devices have prevented the re-infestation or, indeed, if they are still working at all .............. I can't hear them!
Although I have mice AND rats in the loft, inc. behind the plasterboard in the kitchen (it's an old cottage) I'm more bothered about the flies. I murdered 100's of the critters last summer. Having a dead rat in the loft that I couldn't get to didn't help of course :(

I'm thinking (stupidly of course) that having an ultrasonic thingamajig by the front door will stop them coming in :)
Ultrasonic, Dog? Surely you need this?

www.spellsofmagic.com/spells/spiritual_spells/banishing_spells/19118/page.html

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ;-)
>> Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ;-)

Bah, we did Crowley last week when you were Not Here. You've reminded me I ought to go back to Hastings though. The Smuggler Experience is not one to be missed.

>>we did Crowley last week when you were Not Here

Well, I was here actually but, more of a lurcher really, until catwoman rattled my kennel :)

I'm 'on the case' by the way Cc:

www.botanical.com/botanical/mgmh/d/dragon20.html
Just make sure that it's not endangered first, there's a good chap.
Think the goldie would have a crack at it, down by the canal she chased one down its hole and tried to dig it out. Looks very squizzer like to her I guess, and she has a global mission to kill them all.

Birds we like to chase, and ducks, but thats only because they flee in an amusing manner, no real intent to catch them.
Same here...he must run miles after birds and the resident rabbits at the bottom of the garden who dare, occasionally, to wind him up.
the goldie is currently intent on building a stick pile outside the conservatory. Every morning we go out and rummage around for tree branches, twigs and bits of wood and adding them to the pile.

I hope to god she doesn't find a box of matches.
>> The mole man came yesterday

You just brought back memories of Jasper Carrot and his mole.

youtu.be/fePU5CIHpas
Latest Forum Posts