Non-motoring > Home Bread Making.
Thread Author: Clk Sec Replies: 38

Home Bread Making. - Clk Sec
Appeared in my whinge about the job market - too much useful information to be left in there and it deserves a thread of its own - PU

>>I even make my own un-sliced organic 100% wholemeal jobbie.

So does my wife. She's on her second breadmaker, now. Bless her!
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 20 May 10 at 16:46
 Home Bread Making. - Dog
>>So does my wife. She's on her second breadmaker, now.<<

When we bought our Panasonic 5 years ago, ppl said "oh, another 5 minute wonder"
but we use it all the time (well, I do) I add some 'Spelt' flour + some wheatgerm,
I use olive oyl for the 'fat', 1gm of Vit C (yes, 1000mg) as a flour improver,
And I don't use any sugar at all believe it or not but it rises ok.
Which reminds me - its time for a 'healthy' bacon sand witch :)
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 20 May 10 at 17:30
Dog

Just spoken to Mrs CS, and she uses - 600gm wholemeal flour topped up with a sprinkling white, 1 tbs sunflower oil, 500mg Vit C, 1 tbs raw cane sugar, 2 tbs skimmed milk powder, 2 tsp yeast, and no salt.

She is going to try your no sugar + bigger dose of Vit C option on her next loaf.

Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 20 May 10 at 17:31
 Home Bread Making. - Dog
Nice bacon sandwich - M & S dry cured organic (of course!)
Ah! ... I forgot to mention the skmd mlk pwdr - I use 1 tbsp btw.
I only use 1.5 tsp of Hovis dried yeast and prefer fresh yeast (when I can get it)
Sunflower oil is not ideal really (omega 6) omega 9 is better = E. Virgin O.O.
I've orften wondered if the yeast feeds on the sugar in the olive oil,
but I suppose there are sugars in sunflower oil as well.
My present loaf really is the 'the staff of life' but it's all down to trial and error.
Why no salt Clk Sec? if I forget to add salt, it greatly affects the outcome.
The reason she bought a breadmaker in the first place was to reduce our salt intake, as there's quite a lot in supermarket baked bread. As you say it's down to trial and error, but she hasn't found the lack of salt affects the quality in any way. However, her current Kenwood seems to produce an even better loaf than the previous Morphy-Richards.
 Home Bread Making. - Dog
The salt scare is like all the other scares - without salt we'd die but ...
ya gotta use 'the right stuff' ~ www.celticseasalt.com/
Table salt is like white sugar ~ devoid of nutrients.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 20 May 10 at 17:32
 Home Bread Making. - Armel Coussine
Free running table salt for me, every time.

What is it about the average British whippersnapper that induces them to buy salt in uncrushable chunks or coarse flakes? The so-called grinders you get for salt don't work and wear out immediately. So if you go to a meal with such people, and there isn't enough salt in the food to make it marginally edible - increasingly common these days, and not unknown even in foodie, hypochondriac France twenty or thirty years ago - you have simply had it. You don't know how much or how little to use and the stuff stays in those stupid chunks, so you get uneatable saltless food with an occasional mouthful of salt.

God how I despise the faffing, moronic, fashion-victim modern world.
 Home Bread Making. - Dog
I must agree with you there Arthfael and I've tried all 'sorts' of salt grinders,
I now use a mortar & pestle on the coarse stuff.
 Home Bread Making. - Zero
>> Free running table salt for me, every time.

you miserable tight bum twicher.

We use sea salt with a grinder. I use this both for cooking (my food is always seasoned) and for putting on the table. I have never had a proper grinder wear out. Nothing fashion victim or moronic about it.
 Home Bread Making. - Armel Coussine
I wouldn't call you a moron Z. Not so sure about the fashion victim though.

:o}
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 20 May 10 at 17:33
Not victim, more of a leader.
I'm not that keen on salt and don't add any to my food - pepper is my weakness. Mrs CS has a tub of Sainsbury's coarse sea salt in the cupboard for her own use, but I'll bring your link to her attention as soon as she's finished the gardening.

Ta very much.

Home Bread Making. - R.P.
So that's settled I'll get a job as baker.
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 20 May 10 at 17:34
 Home Bread Making. - Dog
>>So that's settled I'll get a job as baker.<<

Or there's always a butcher or a candlestick maker :)
 Home Bread Making. - Iffy
...I'm not that keen on salt and don't add any to my food...

You shouldn't need to if the food is correctly seasoned.

Seasoning with salt - and pepper - is crucial to cooking in drawing out the flavour of the food.

It's a bit like garlic in many dishes, it's there, doing it's job, but you can't taste it.

Home Bread Making. - FotheringtonTomas
>> Table salt is like white sugar ~ devoid of nutrients.

Go & dig some salt out from one of those roadside bins. Much better than all this modern evaporated stuff.
 Home Bread Making. - Mapmaker
I think bread machine bread needs at least as much salt as the recipe states otherwise it tastes revolting.

And I don't cook with much salt.
>>I think bread machine bread needs at least as much salt as the recipe states otherwise it tastes revolting.

No it doesn't. It just tastes like bread without the added salt.
 Home Bread Making. - CGNorwich
Salt, beside obviously affecting the taste has a vital role in bread making. It reacts with the gluten to make a firmer loaf and a thicker browner crust.

The essential ingredients for bread are flour water salt and yeast. You don't need fat,
Flour, water, yeast. A little sugar will help the yeast get going quicker. A small amount of salt only. Most bread has far too much salt in it. Some delicious bread has no added salt.
>>Some delicious bread has no added salt.

That's true, FT.
 Home Mead Braking. - FotheringtonTomas
Wow. Someone's been doing some thread title editing. Slow day? Well done, anyway.
 Home Mead Braking. - R.P.
Nah - just another day in paradise. In HJ's room I would have left all but the first post in a "move like this" the trouble now is that any new post appears with the old title in the preview pane on the right - so it was tidier to change the lot. It's always a slow day here now as there is so little that needs changing....;-)
Last edited by: Pugugly on Thu 20 May 10 at 17:42
 Home Mead Braking. - Fursty Ferret
What does shop-made bread have in it that stops it going off so quickly? I tried making my own bread for a bit but it went stale within 24 hours.
 Home Bread Making. - John H
>> Appeared in my whinge about the job market - too much useful information to be
>> left in there and it deserves a thread of its own - PU

You may just as well separate out the house renting/letting whinge in that thread. And while you are at it, how about separating out the vin-rouge whine from the fridge thread. :-)
 Home Bread Making. - R.P.
Dave, Smokie ??
 Home Bread Making. - teabelly
I've not got a bread maker so have to do it the hard way! Easiest recipe is on the Dove's farm yeast. Works every time. Pure wholemeal is a bit 'heavy' and the rising times are fantasy unless you are prepared to heat the flour, heat the tin and leave it to rise on top of a hot radiator (which I do in winter)

Have made my own pitas but they're literally a PITA! Naan breads are easier though. Will be attempting pizza at some point....

Also tried out spelt bread as you just mix and bung in a tin. Not sure I liked it. Certainly not with pure 100% wholemeal. Think it needs some white spelt flour and longer cooking times as it felt a bit soggy in the middle.

My bread usually lasts a couple of days but I tend to divide it into sections and freeze what I'm not going to use within 48 hours.

Home Bread Making. - Dog
>> heat the tin and leave it to rise on top of a hot radiator<<

You need a Rayburn comrade teabelly ~ £3k for a recon, lemme know how many you want.
 Home Bread Making. - teabelly
Radiator is rather cheaper.. and they're the perfect temperature for melting chocolate too when I fancy chocolate covered flapjack :-)
 Home Bread Making. - Bellboy
bread is uneatable without salt added
our homemade bread last 2 days normally
sometimes we end up with cake rather than bread though or thats how it tastes in my opinion
 Home Bread Making. - WillDeBeest
I think the weakness in breadmaker bread is the quick-start yeast in the little sachets. Curiously, it seems to work fine for pizza dough but it adds a distinctive flavour to white bread that's not always pleasant. Wholemeal is generally happier with it, possibly just because it has more flavour of its own.

A few weeks ago I made a sourdough starter out of rye flour and water: mixed roughly 1:2 and left in the open for a couple of hours to catch some flying yeastibeests and off it went. Took about ten days to get properly frothy but it's well established now. It lives in a 1-litre ice cream tub in the fridge and the results, even in the machine, have been very pleasing - although the first few loaves were too solid until I recalculated the amount of water in the mix.
By mixing it with more rye and some wholemeal I even made something like a German Pumpernickel loaf that would have gone perfectly with those rollmops we were discussing elsewhere.

Sounds as if it ought to be complicated, but it's been fantastically easy to make a start - and it's free! Just for fun I think I'll make another starter post-move and see how the 'Thames' starter compares with my 'Avon' one.
 Home Bread Making. - Manatee
>>I think the weakness in breadmaker bread is the quick-start yeast in the little sachets.

I think it's the quantity of yeast, which is more than you need to use in traditional baking. The convenience offsets the slightly compromised qualities for us though. Usually use half and half wholemeal and strong white, or malted/white. Only annoying factor is the chuffing great hole in the middle from the paddle.

Flavour aside, salt does tend to inhibit the yeast working - when we forget the salt, it usually rises more in the tin.
 Home Bread Making. - Dog
>>A few weeks ago I made a sourdough starter out of rye flour and water<<

Well done that Beestyman! I've orften thought about making some 'real' bread,
Yeast can exasperate a lorra problems actually - esp. wimins problems like Candida,
or even toenail fungus in men or women.
The other bread I'd like to make is soda bread using sodium bicarb & Buddha milk.
I first started making bread whilst living in Tenerife in the 90's,
A German elf food shoppe geezer used to grind the flour from organic wheat while I waited,
The resulting flour was like nothing I've ever come across since & made a purrfect loaf.
I'll have to check out one of these Cornish millers to knock me up some coarse stuff one of these days.
>> >> heat the tin and leave it to rise on top of a hot radiator<<
>> You need a Rayburn comrade teabelly

They're very good, but you can use a "hay box"[1] and a bottle of hot water.

>> ~ £3k for a recon, lemme know how many you want.

Cough, splutter, about £2,700 less will buy one to do the job.

[1] One of the new polystyrene boxes that cold stuff comes in.
Think I'll take the dog for a nice 15 minute stroll to the bakers and get some fresh bread for 90p a loaf. Get a nice frothy coffee there as well and bask in the sunshine and watch the world go by,
Ah. Small loaf, 1.8% salt.
Watch the BP!
BP. Black pudding. Lovely!
:O
Latest Forum Posts