Non-motoring > Any experience of using Fotosense for cameras? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 19

Any experience of using Fotosense for cameras? - rtj70
I might treat myself to a new camera. My dSLR is producing excellent shots but want something a little smaller and lighter for overseas holidays*. But I don't want a compact and prefer it had interchangeable lenses and HD video capability.

So I might buy a Panasonic Lumix G2 with the standard kit lens. Fotosense of Bolton have a good price (£130 less than SRP and with 3 year warranty and £30 cash back too).

So anyone used Fotosense? And anyone used say a Panasonic G1 or GH1 and hated it? They look a good compromise to me. I'd get a GH1 with the 14-140mm lens optimised for video but it will be no lighter than my dSLR!

*We got everything to Greece okay... coming back the lighter cases were 5kg over the limit so emptied them out to hand luggage. Same plane carried the luggage ;-)

Any experience of using Fotosense for cameras? - Tooslow
r
I've used them. I bought a camera bag from them. No complaints.

JH
 Any experience of using Fotosense for cameras? - teabelly
I vaguely remember ordering something from them. Can't remember whether they were the ones that were advertising things they didn't have in stock. Would have to check....

Don't use pixmania. They're awful.

I have the panasonic fz bridge camera. Brilliant. They might do an HD version now..... it has macro and roughly 35-420mm 35mm zoom range with the standard not changeable lens. Only about £300 and I use it all the time. Not too heavy either. My old dynax 7 35mm is like carrying an elephant. Worth a look if you like panasonic cameras.

Any experience of using Fotosense for cameras? - teabelly
FZ38

www.parkcameras.com/12636/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-FZ38-Black.html?referrer=Froogle&utm_source=google&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=pid12636
 Any experience of using Fotosense for cameras? - Alastairw
Be careful if you try phoning Park Cameras with an order. If you miss-dial (and many have) you get through to my desk, and find a grumpy accountant, who won't be able to sell you a camera, however much you insist you dialed the right digits.
I should have added I might get from these as I will collect. I will try not to dial AlastairW tomorrow. Honest.
 Any experience of using Fotosense for cameras? - Zero
have you thought about getting a load of cameras at trade price and starting a wee business?
 Any experience of using Fotosense for cameras? - Manatee
My colleague has a G1 (replaced a Canon EOS 400DDSLR) and is very happy with it. Image quality looks very good to me, and he prefers it to the Canon in terms of results.

G1 has no video IIRC though.

I acquired an LX3 last year. No good when you need a telephoto, but brilliant wide angle and very portable, if barely pocketable. If only I could find one camera to do everything.
>> G1 has no video IIRC though

The G1 is available for about £360 I think but no video. I also want video. I have a camcorder but don't use it enough, partly because I carry the dSLR more when on holiday etc. If the G1 had video I'd buy one tomorrow.

If it were not for price and no view finder I might consider a GF1. And the new Lumix G10 but that does not do AVCHD Lite and the viewfinder is inferior.

I think the touch screen on the G2 will be gimick but the shutter preview looks pretty cool. You can preview what you will take including motion blur.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Thu 20 May 10 at 22:02
 Any experience of using Fotosense for cameras? - lancara
www.reviewcentre.com/reviews159805.html

www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/www.fotosense.co.uk

Seems to be the usual mixture of good and bad reviews
Very useful that. I'd only order if I can collect on the same day. Otherwise I'd order elsewhere. They claim to have stock on Monday for the camera I want.
 Any experience of using Fotosense for cameras? - Hard Cheese
Google:

Sony NEX-5

It and the NEX-3 are launched in July and look superb in spec terms and have been well reviewed, not too expensive either.
Already looked at the NEX-5 and NEX-3 (essentially both identical) but with an APS-C sensor the lenses are big and heavy. There's also going to be a NEX-7.

www.dpreview.com/news/1005/10051102sonynex.asp

I also want a viewfinder. The NEX does not have a view finder.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 21 May 10 at 10:41
 Any experience of using Fotosense for cameras? - borasport
Can I hijack this thread for a recommendation ?

I have a Olympus mju (as suggested by a certain Mark(RLBS) a few years ago in another place) and I don't use it any more - the screen is too small for my eyesight these days.

So I'm looking for a reasonable quality compact with a large, bright screen. SWMBO currently has a Lumix with which we are well impressed, so something of that order is currently favourite
I suppose the priorities are
1 - screen size/menu readability
2 - zoom range
3 - degree of control/useability (though i'm too lazy to want any old fashioned manual control these days)
4 - oh, yea, price. As someone somewhere used to say, I don't want the cheapest, I want the best I can get for my money

p.s. -anybody want a mark II Olympus mju - metal body, leather case......
Borasport, you might spend some useful time on dpreview.com, goo.gl/2A03

There is no 'do everything' camera that is anywhere near compact - do you want a DSLR? Must it be compact? Or something in between like the G2?

What do you most use it for? I have a DSLR that I use for all sorts, but when I'm walking I want a good but portable landscape camera - different animal, no zoom to speak of. A compact with a long zoom will be compromised in low light and depth of field.

Could be a good discussion, but needs it's own thread ;-)
 Any experience of using Fotosense for cameras? - Hard Cheese
>> Already looked at the NEX-5 and NEX-3 (essentially both identical)
>>

The 5 has a metal body and captures full HD video.

>>but with an APS-C sensor the lenses are big and heavy. >>

Quality! Yes with a lens they are larger than a compact, on the otherhand they are much more compact that a d-SLR that they can compete with head on in quality terms.

I too like a view finder, there is a accessory finder though this is an area where I might compromise based on the other features.

I had been thinking of buying the new Sony HX5V (superb new compact, take a look if you have not done so) though I might wait for the NEX.

I am so far impressed with the Panasonic Lumix G2. Okay the sensor is smaller than a dSLR but the images look good and it does capture HD in AVCHD Lite. I will look at the HX5V though.
The G2 looks superb, but isn't cheap bearing in mind you'll be forking out for lenses - at least the IS has moved to the camera body though.

What I really like about the format is the low pixel density - 5MP/cm2, pretty much SLR density, compared with over 40 for many compact cameras. I've used a G1 and would say it compares favourably with budget DSLRs; the G2 promises to be better and of course has video, a factor that seemed to put people off the G1.

I have a DSLR which I like using but it's no good for pick up and go. I've a Panasonic LX3 for out-and-about photography which is just about pocketable, has lots of control, a hot shoe, fantastic wide angle and picture quality for a compact but lacks zoom; I'm thinking of pairing it with a compact superzoom like a Panasonic TZ7 as a general purpose camera which has come down in price a lot now - it would certainly do for holiday use in good light and has HD AVCHD video .

I wouldn't mind a G2 and a couple of extra lenses though...
>> at least the IS has moved to the camera body though.

IS is in the lens still but the switch for controlling it was dropped from the new 14-42mm lens. Not cheap though but looks good.
I stand corrected ;-)
Latest Forum Posts