Non-motoring > Self containerized living accomodation Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Dog Replies: 15

Self containerized living accomodation - Dog
I think the Chinese effort is a goer, and it wouldn't get too warm in the Summer months.

They could also be sighted in sparsely populated areas, like Wales and Jockland, to house the millions of Romanians and Bulgarians heading through the tunnel next January.

io9.com/the-greatest-homes-made-from-shipping-containers-around-453393451

Self containerized living accomodation - Cliff Pope
Planning permission would be no problem, because it's either been relaxed by government edict, or you can just bribe a planning officer (sorry, I mean employ him as a consultant).
 Self containerized living accomodation - Fenlander
Oh believe me deep in the fens hidden down droves folks have been at this for over ten years. Buy up a plot of remote arable land for peanuts, fence it and chuck on a container and park up an old campervan next to it. Between the container and camper they have their house.

A ghastly blight on the landscape with some less than savoury characters involved... a creeping problem that was a contributory factor in us pulling out of the fen.
 Self containerized living accomodation - mikeyb
We have a local pub to us which opened last year. Its been built on the Marina and as a tribute to the industrial past (it used to be a dock for a power station) they have used a fair few of these shipping containers to build it.

Opinion is split, but I quite like it. The most bothered are the older local residents.

tinyurl.com/cxkt28w
Hardly a spit and sawdust boozer though is it mikey, looks more like a DIY shed to me ;)
 Self containerized living accomodation - ....
It's already been done in Edinburgh

goo.gl/maps/Q3dLZ

and again here:
goo.gl/maps/4P1l4
Last edited by: gmac on Wed 13 Mar 13 at 20:58
 Self containerized living accomodation - Dutchie
Can't say the flats look bad with balcony's and flowers in Edingborough.Better than lots of run down terraced housing no trees in the street and usually expensive to keep warm.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4poWiKfg1MU

:)
There used to be quite a few prefab homes build here after the war.

Some of them nice small gardens front and back .I reckoned they will have been damp inside metal frames I believe.Little boxes most homes are Dog never enough room.I wouldn't mind buying some land to have a small self build bungalow for our old age.Can't make up my mind yet.
I knew some people who lived in 'prefabs' when I was in the car tuning game, they always seemed to be quite happy in them ISTR, and they certainly seemed okay to me internally, better than living in my council flat on the 11th floor :)

We'll have to start a thread on self-build then Dutchie, as it's something that has always interested me too.
Price of land is one of the problems Dog.Planning permission and local authorities..

Builders build houses with minimum standards and maximum profits.You start the new tread Dog you are better educated than me.>;)
>>You start the new tread Dog you are better educated than me.>;)<<

Cor blimey guvnor, strike a light! - I didn't go to a good school like you Dutchie (but at least mine was approved)

:}
Nothing wrong with approved schools Dog.I spend two years at a boarding school with my brother.Look where I am now.>:)
Where are you now Dutchie, Hull is it? miles and miles of quiet sandy beaches, relatively dry area of the UK,
roads don't get snarled up with blimmin tourists every summer, sounds alright to me!
 Self containerized living accomodation - zookeeper
drives a humber too... i would move to hull in a shot..
>>drives a humber too

Must be one of these then: tinyurl.com/bqns5fr
Latest Forum Posts