Non-motoring > An Accident of Birth? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Duncan Replies: 10

An Accident of Birth? - Duncan
Zara Phillips was 'furious' when she was prevented from leaving the parade ring at Cheltenham.

Link to Mail (Sorry).

tinyurl.com/ckc3z33

I don't understand why an accident of birth should give someone an advantage. Would someone like to explain it to me, please?
 An Accident of Birth? - Armel Coussine
>> Would someone like to explain it to me, please?

No. You wouldn't understand.

:o}
 An Accident of Birth? - madf

>>
>> I don't understand why an accident of birth should give someone an advantage. Would someone
>> like to explain it to me, please?
>>

Simple.

You are a pleb.
 An Accident of Birth? - Fenlander
Bit of a non-story really. Cheltenham festival is packed with both wealth and celebrity for the week and in recent decades safety has become more of an issue... in the old days you could easily mix it shoulder to shoulder with top horses.

So whoever you are security will hold you back while the crowd behind piles on the pressure. I've seen it done to the Queen Mum.

Zara is a bad one to pick on as she does not carry a royal title and her driven nature is more to do with her personality and competitive nature rather than a need to rely on claims of birthright.

I bet she never mentioned who she was but probably just indicated the reason why she needed to be elsewhere quickly.
 An Accident of Birth? - Robin O'Reliant
I wouldn't complain too much about accidents of birth. Just think yourself lucky you haven't been born as one of the 50% or so of the world's population who face a daily struggle just to survive. We always look up and envy the better off, now and again we really ought to look down and realise how lucky we actually are.
 An Accident of Birth? - Mapmaker

>> I don't understand why an accident of birth should give someone an advantage. Would someone
>> like to explain it to me, please?

No, I cannot explain why you are so well off.

1.bp.blogspot.com/-cVcjeJUhuTQ/UDOEotQfCnI/AAAAAAAAAFs/q3ZXJtyW3r4/s1600/children-starving-ethiopia.jpg
 An Accident of Birth? - Cliff Pope
I can't think of a better way of allocating advantage than by accident of birth.

By lottery? Money? Looks? Glibness of tongue? Personal prejudice? Religion?

There's always merit and ability I suppose - horsemanship might be good measure in some circumstances.
 An Accident of Birth? - Stuu
>>I don't understand why an accident of birth should give someone an advantage. Would someone like to explain it to me, please <<

That depends if you are the materialistic sort who thinks the only good things in life come with money.

Would you explain why you get to eat well each day while millions starve? Surely that makes your birth somewhat more advantageous over those millions than hers is over you.

Who exactly would want to be constantly under public scrutiny for life anyway? Doesnt sound like something most people want.
 An Accident of Birth? - madf
Some people just get all the luck and are born poor .

tinyurl.com/bmasjol

"The current head of Brazilian oil giant Petrobras spent her childhood in Morro do Adeus, an extremely poor neighborhood that became a shantytown. Her mother worked constantly and her father was an alcoholic. She collected cans and paper to make extra money. "

and so on...
 An Accident of Birth? - Duncan
Well, one theme has been repeated a number of times:-

"Just count your lucky stars".
 An Accident of Birth? - Haywain
They are such an ugly pair,
I'd recognise them anywhere.
Latest Forum Posts