Non-motoring > What does 'rap' mean? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 36

What does 'rap' mean? - Armel Coussine
Having to wait 20 minutes for a grandnipper to come out of ballet class nearby this afternoon, I purchased the 72-page soaraway Sun comic to while away the minutes. It is some time since I last consulted this organ of record.

No fewer than four of its many headlines contained the word 'rap' whose meaning, to me anyway, verged on the obscure. Criticism? Punishment? General disapproval? Not, in any case, a clever rhythmic chant by a black chap.

On my return home I was scolded at enormous length by my middle daughter for embarrassing her. Cheeky little beast. She is afraid I think that the mothers of the children coming to the same grandnipper's birthday party here, which has now begun, will never speak to her again if they catch sight of the incriminating document. I think I will go in now and wave it about.

Pray for me. 'Pensioner brandishes load of crap rap'.
 What does 'rap' mean? - Meldrew
Defined as "A style of popular music, developed by disc jockeys and urban blacks in the late 1970s, in which an insistent, recurring beat pattern provides the background and counterpoint for rapid, slangy, and often boastful rhyming patter glibly intoned by a vocalist or vocalists."

I'd query the words music and popular, it certainly isn't used at the tea-dances I go to!
Come on Mellers, it's certainly music and it is popular. I like it usually.

But it doesn't mean that in Sun headlines.
 What does 'rap' mean? - SteelSpark
>> Come on Mellers, it's certainly music and it is popular. I like it usually.
>>
>> But it doesn't mean that in Sun headlines.

All derivatives of "rap across the knuckles" aren't they?

As you suggested earlier, to take, or dish out, the punishment/consequences.

What does 'rap' mean? - bathtub tom
There are three types of music:

A: Classical

B: Pop, or popular

C rap
 What does 'rap' mean? - Roger.
Rap is not music. Put a "C" in front of it and you are there.
>> Rap is not music. Put a "C" in front of it and you are there.

Yes it is. You can dance to it if it's any good. And how many more people are going to make the crap joke?

I'm surprised at you Roger, you a Rastaman and all...
 What does 'rap' mean? - Harleyman

>>
>> Yes it is. You can dance to it if it's any good. And how many
>> more people are going to make the crap joke?
>>

Me. Because it is. So there.
>> Because it is. So there.

None so deaf as those who will not hear, Hogman... But you have a right to prefer big choirs wearing witches' hats chanting in some sort of foreign language with misleading tenderness...

:o}

>> None so deaf as those who will not hear, Hogman... But you have a right
>> to prefer big choirs wearing witches' hats chanting in some sort of foreign language with
>> misleading tenderness...
>>
>> :o}
>>

I've heard rap. It's one of the few forms of music, apart from serious* opera and , which make me wish I WAS deaf.

* The sort which the aspiring middle classes and intelligentsia patronise in order to be seen rather than for any of its artistic virtues.
>> I've heard rap.

One can hardly avoid hearing it sooner or later. A matter of taste finally of course. No one is obliged to like it.

I agree with you about opera, can't stand it (although Wagner can give one the odd frisson, wrote some good tunes and arrangements). I wouldn't willingly sit through a whole one. But I'm afraid we are both philistines.
 What does 'rap' mean? - Bromptonaut

>> All derivatives of "rap across the knuckles" aren't they?
>>
>> As you suggested earlier, to take, or dish out, the punishment/consequences.
>>

That's my understanding too.
 What does 'rap' mean? - Ambo
<
Of Caribbean origin?
I'd go with musical, as in rhythmic, but music is a stretch. Can one buy the sheet music and sing/play it at home? Fox News notes that "The turning point is hard to pinpoint. But after 30 years of growing popularity, rap music is now struggling with an alarming sales decline and growing criticism from within about the culture's negative effect on society."

I do hope you are suffering no negative effects AC?
>> I do hope you are suffering no negative effects AC?

Certainly not. I used to open fire on bus queues with a stolen 9mm automatic when I thought I was being disrespected long before rap music was invented. I am a hard man to influence.
 What does 'rap' mean? - CGNorwich
Rap is one of those peculiar words thats exists only in the tabloids and is vaguely synonymous with reprimand or rebuke.

In much the same way no one ever disagrees , they clash. They don't argue , they feud. The police swoop and quiz suspects. Nobody resigns but they quit. Mysteries are riddles and people don't fall off a cliff they have a death plunge. There is never a possibility of a strike there is a threat and politicians constantly issue pledges until they are axed.

Goodness CGN, you're really good at this carp. Did you ever work as a hack?
 What does 'rap' mean? - PhilW
That's a pretty robust staement CG - but then everything is robust these days. ;-)
 What does 'rap' mean? - Cliff Pope
>> Rap is one of those peculiar words thats exists only in the tabloids and is
>> vaguely synonymous with reprimand or rebuke.
>>
>>

OED gives an example from 1677, meaning to take punishment as in a rap on the knuckles.
 What does 'rap' mean? - Manatee
>> Rap is one of those peculiar words thats exists only in the tabloids and is
>> vaguely synonymous with reprimand or rebuke.
>>
>> In much the same way no one ever disagrees , they clash. They don't argue
>> , they feud. The police swoop and quiz suspects. Nobody resigns but they quit. Mysteries
>> are riddles and people don't fall off a cliff they have a death plunge. There
>> is never a possibility of a strike there is a threat and politicians constantly issue
>> pledges until they are axed.

You missed my bete noire. Out of control vehicles always 'plough' into whatever they hit, and if they happen to plough into pedestrians or a bus queue then they might well mow them down.

The plough is just about mandatory - check it out. I feel like moaning about it very time such an event is linked here, but somebody has usually died and it seems disrespectfully picky at the time.
Last edited by: Manatee on Sat 16 Mar 13 at 18:16
 What does 'rap' mean? - Bromptonaut
Cyclists always collide with other vehicles - even when the rider is squashed under a skip lorry.
"XXXX came into contact with" is the usual understatement, surely?
 What does 'rap' mean? - ....
Isn't your new organ of choice responsible for the drumming of American words into the English vocabulary. Police usually referred to as cops, possibly using rap when referring to a persons history.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 16 Mar 13 at 16:45
>> Isn't your new organ of choice responsible for the drumming of American words into the English vocabulary.

They all do it. The Terrorflag does it more and more. The sub-editor has almost vanished as a species. The copy is contracted out to agencies staffed by illiterate Aussie teenagers. Most people don't seem to notice or mind, but I do.

What does 'rap' mean? - ....
Agree with you there, the last time I read the Telegraph I thought I had stumbled onto the LA Times website by accident.
Last edited by: gmac on Sat 16 Mar 13 at 16:55
I gave up the DT as I prefer a tabloid format and it was getting more and more like Hello but with longer sentences. CGN - don't forget "Ferguson slams Mancini" type usage too
 What does 'rap' mean? - CGNorwich
AC slams Terrorflag in language outrage and demands probe.
 What does 'rap' mean? - Manatee
The Telegraph will be red-faced when they see that.
"Rap" in musical terms is a corruption.... the "c" is silent.
 What does 'rap' mean? - Runfer D'Hills
I think it's an acronym.

Rugby Almost Perfect...
 What does 'rap' mean? - Duncan
>> I think it's an acronym.
>>
>> Rugby Almost Perfect...
>>

What Scotland against France, you mean?

Tee hee.
After the England/Wales match,my only consolation would have been France not winning a single game in the series.
Alas, alack, the Jocks let me down.
 What does 'rap' mean? - MD
Nice try Humph.
 What does 'rap' mean? - R.P.
Nice try Humph

....and well converted....!
.........and a judge-led enquiry.
 What does 'rap' mean? - Crankcase
I was unsurprised to discover the local paper covering the delay of a scientific conference in town by a traffic jam with the absolutely inevitable headline "Boffins in road chaos misery".

Crankcase - you post calls to mind a competition David Frost had on Not the 9 o'clock News, for the longest headline without a verb it. The winner was "Middle Aged Hoodlum Junkie Priest in Death Dash Bid Failure Drama" Very contrived but judged to be the winner!
Latest Forum Posts