Non-motoring > Shaving - Again Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 53

Shaving - Again - Meldrew
I have had a re-think about shaving. For travel I use a Braun electric and, in brief, the result looks OK but still feels a bit stubbly unless one takes a very long time over it. Gillette blades and a wet shave are very good but at £2.25 per cartridge that is a lot, per shave. Experiment started this morning, by shaving with a Wilkinson disposable and carrying on to see how many acceptable shaves I get out of one unit. My feeling is that disposables, used 2 or three times, may well work out cheaper than the "Venetian Blind" blades and for less money.
 Shaving - Again - Stuartli
If you have a Poundland convenient for you, you'll find that the chain sells Wilkinson's double-edged disposable razors at five for £1 (plus five free).

On average one of these razors lasts me around a week (much longer than other brands) so, about once a year, I buy five or six packs knowing they will last me for around 12 months...:-)
 Shaving - Again - R.P.
Gillette Mach3 - £1.62 a blade in Asda (12 pack) - £1.33 per blade on Amazon c/w a razor an delivery for a pack of 20. Just ordered them. Bargain.
Last edited by: R.P. on Sun 24 Mar 13 at 09:29
 Shaving - Again - Cliff Pope
A thirty-something year old Philishave with original flymo blades does me, but then I'm not Richard Nixon.
 Shaving - Again - madf
My average cost per shave : Gillette Fusion Proglide Power:
8 blades £18: £2.25/blade.

No of shaves 45 (1.5 months)

Cost per shave 5p.
Last edited by: madf on Sun 24 Mar 13 at 09:31
>>Cost per shave 5p.>>

About 1.5p in my case - and it's a smooth one as well...:-)
 Shaving - Again - Crankcase
Now I've got used to using this, it gives splendid results, if you have the time of course.

tinyurl.com/co3otdu

Link is to Amazon.
 Shaving - Again - Runfer D'Hills
Shave on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Blades last longer and you get to look younger three times a week.
 Shaving - Again - R.P.
So do I or before an important meeting or the job interview I had last Wednesday ;-)
>>... and you get to look younger three times a week, >>

Not in my case you don't whether once a day or once a week....:-(
 Shaving - Again - bathtub tom
>>For travel I use a Braun electric

Have you ever replaced the foil and cutter? I found the foil wore through after a couple of years and had to replaced anyway.

I'm now using a philips rotary - curate's egg job.
 Shaving - Again - Zero
Holiday? People shave on Holiday? good lord.
 Shaving - Again - Aretas
If you really want to make your blade last longer - Mach3 in my case will easily last two months and have used one for three months:

Wash face in hot water and leave for a minute or so - have a pee to use the time!
Beard will now be soft. Wash again, soap and shave.

Blade MUST be kept clean - it accumulates dirt after a week or so. Have a look at it with a magnifying glass if you don't believe me. Easy to wipe the upper surfaces. The underneath can be cleaned with a tine tooth flossing brush.

I an not so skint that I can't afford the blades - just like to save the cash

My 250 ml Gilette Foam is now into its 6th month, but may only do one more day.
Thanks BT. It has a warning light, based on hours of use I guess, which tells me when cutters and foil need replacing and it isn't on yet as it isn't my primary shaver.
 Shaving - Again - Dave
I only shave a couple of times a week using my hair clippers, with no comb and on the lowest setting. So always have designer stubble, and only takes a couple of minutes each time.
 Shaving - Again - Dog
I spend more time faffing about keeping my beard neat n' dandy than most peeps take to shave!

:+)
 Shaving - Again - Harleyman
What's a razor?

Shaving - Again - swiss tony
>> What's a razor?
>>
tinyurl.com/3qu2kso

HTH
 Shaving - Again - Ian (Cape Town)
>> What's a razor?
>>
>>

I have one of those Gillette safety razor jobs for tidying up the edges of the beard.

Off-topic: It still amazes me... when street hawkers approach me (I have a beard and glasses) trying to sell me aftershave and 'genuine RayBan' sunglasses.

Shaving - Again - Roger.
I just cannot abide not shaving every day! The feel of scruffy stubble - designer or not - is untenable.
I found that a Gillete Mach3 power thingy only gave me two weeks use per blade, tops and the blades are so expensive that I gave up on them.
I bought a cheap, £50 at the time, Phillips wet 'n dry rotary and think I will save the capital outlay reasonably quickly.
I cannot deny that the Gillette razor gave a rather closer and longer lasting result, but the Phillips is perfectly acceptable in everyday use.
I do use shaving gel with it: an alternative for a smooth shave is talcum powder.

Shaving - Again - Robin O'Reliant
>> I just cannot abide not shaving every day! The feel of scruffy stubble - designer
>> or not - is untenable.

>> I do use shaving gel with it: an alternative for a smooth shave is talcum
>> powder.
>>
>>
>>
Pooftah.
 Shaving - Again - Ted

Some real Willie Woofters on here......Man up, all of you and grow a decent full set like The Dog, Ian and me.

Aftershave ? Schmaftershave !.....Wright's coal tar soap keeps the broads flocking round me wantng to run their fingers down my chest scar !

Ted
 Shaving - Again - Ian (Cape Town)
That's Life, boy...
Having a beard and looking like a badger, awaiting the cull is not a good look. Once your beard is grey it ages you 5 to 10 years. Still - keeps the babes away!
 Shaving - Again - Dog
My beard looks better now it's grey than it did 20 years ago when it was dark brown and my brother used to call me Punjab.

:}
ASDA single blade disposables 10 for 24p. Got to be worth a try at that price! BICs are £1.70 for 20
 Shaving - Again - Armel Coussine
Has anyone else ever tried shaving with an open razor or the mechanized sawn-off version, the Rolls Razor? Well, I have, and I can't really recommend it. Used to cut myself tor ribbons.

The trouble with cheapo Bic or other single blade disposbales is that the handle is flexible an allows the blade to skip or chatter, risking bloodshed. The trouble with all electric shavers is that they grind the hair to dust and rub it hard into your greasy facial pores and old acne scars presenting you with severe cleaning problems. Those Mach3 style things are best, but they are a profiteering rip-off. The whole shaving thing is an utter pain, but not as much of a pain as walking about making people want to bawl 'BEAVER!' at you, like Perro and other shameless types here.

I mean, who wants to be taken for a Muslim fundamentalist or a Rabbi or a tramp or an artsy-fartsy type? Not I. I prefer to pass for an old slob with poor personal hygiene.
 Shaving - Again - -
I've given up telling you Luddites and street winos (designer stubble my foot) how to get a good safe comfortable economical and super clean shave, looking like a tramp doesn't keep a good woman close either, thats probably why some of them drown themselves in that poison stuff or other foul smelling muck and clear off up the bingo.

My father had a Rolls razor and I have got two in the back of one of my bedroom drawers, which I bought as curiosities at antique fairs many years ago. I have never tried them and I do not like the look of them.
>> ASDA single blade disposables 10 for 24p. Got to be worth a try at that >> price! BICs are £1.70 for 20 >>

Bics have always, in my experience, been a complete waste of time. Used to use Wilkinson Sword Edge but sometimes looked as though I'd been in a serious fight...:-) Can't beat the Wilkinson double-edged disposables I mentioned earlier and the price is remarkable at Poundland for 10 of them.
 Shaving - Again - R.P.
Let me guess - a quid ?
>> Let me guess - a quid ? >>

For five (plus five free!!). By the way, not absolutely everything is a pound at Poundland...:-)
 Shaving - Again - R.P.
Only ever been to Home Bargains (well reasonably regularly actually) - the one in Rhyl I actually witnessed a cat-fight.
 Shaving - Again - corax
>> Can't beat the Wilkinson double-edged disposables I mentioned earlier and the price is >> >> remarkable at Poundland
>> for 10 of them.

When I used WS disposables I found they shaved very close, too close for my liking and prone to cuts. Gillette Mach 3's are better in that respect.

And to all those beard scoffers, some of us can grow a decent beard, some can't. Genetics, see?

Like Dog says though it takes longer to keep the line right than it does to shave the whole visage.
When I first started shaving my dad got me something like this. It was ok actually.

www.bagfulofnotions.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/safetyrazor.jpg
>> When I used WS disposables I found they shaved very close, too close for my >> liking and prone to cuts. >>

Don't press so hard...:-) Very, very rarely get a nick even when going for the closest possible shave.
>> some of us can grow a decent beard, some can't.

No doubt some of us could aspire to being chaste prostitutes or kind-hearted random axe killers. Even they would certainly be appalled by the sight, or even the thought, of a 'decent beard'. If ever there was a contradiction in terms, that is it.
I've sometimes wondered, well, very rarely to be honest, but maybe it was when there wasn't much to wonder about but anyway...

Why do men shave? I do, because, well, you just do, but most societies have a long term culture of shaving. Wonder why?
Last edited by: Humph D'Bout on Sun 24 Mar 13 at 19:07
 Shaving - Again - Robin O'Reliant
Ronnie Drew knew how to grow a beard -

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JhVWsc5Xgg&feature=related

No Nancy-Boy pooftah safety razors and after shave for him.
>> Why do men shave?

Because beards are full of decomposing food spillages and crab lice and look utterly disgusting I suppose. Something along those lines anyway.
Yeah but, for example, my dog has a naturally hairy face and he'd look really stupid with it shaved right? Men have naturally hairy faces but most cultures prefer them shaved. As indeed do I by and large but why I wonder? Just one of my "why do people in hi-rise flats have net curtains and what's the point of a 316?" type dilemmas...

:-)
I would imagine the better brought up sort of woman - they must have had them even in the stone age - began a sort of perfecting agenda quite early Humph, capisce?

'You wanna stay down by the entrance eating raw meat, go ahead. You wanna come in where it's warm and get some porridge (and maybe later some oats but I'm not promising anything) then scrape that awful filthy disgusting scratchy unhygienic scheiss off your mug with this handy flint thing I chipped this morning...'

Something like that don't you think Humph? Sheesh, as they say...
My childhood cultural influence Desperate Dan had good stubble. He sometimes used a huge circular saw to trim it but his handy electric razor equivalent was a fierce leopard which he smilingly encouraged to gnaw his face. To no avail alas.

DD was a real Richard Nixon or Chris Hooner, but much nicer. I am feeling peckish as I write for one of his fierce Aunt Mattie's cow pies with horns sticking up through the pastry... yum yum.
 Shaving - Again - corax
>> If ever there was a contradiction in terms, that is it.

So you wouldn't aspire to this then AC?

tinyurl.com/cv3z6d4

:)
 Shaving - Again - Mapmaker
They may be 10 for a pound, but they give me a shave that looks like it. I use King of Shaves razors. British made for British people! And much cheaper than a Mach 3 - or 4, and they last much longer.

Yah, electric razors are for the worst sort of cad.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Sun 24 Mar 13 at 21:15
 Shaving - Again - Zero
I had you down as a strop and cutthroat man.
 Shaving - Again - Mapmaker
Progress, dear boy, progress!
 Shaving - Again - WillDeBeest
I think Aretas has it right: cartridges last ages if you keep them clean. My regular shave is with a WS Quattro Titanium in the shower, which will give 40-60 uses between changes, but I've done just as well with whatever Gillette's five-blader is called. That was an emergency purchase on a trip when I realized I'd forgotten to pack one so I now keep it in my travel kit. Despite all the travelling I've done lately I'm still using the two cartridges that came with the handle.

I'm no Desperate Dan either but I'd be surprised if even the thickest hair is tough enough to blunt a blade as quickly as some report. Nails are tougher than hair but they're made of keratin too, and think how easily they yield to the clippers once they're wet. Ever had a pair of nail clippers go blunt on you? Thought not.

King of Shaves Alphagel is good stuff too: no froth to clog up the blades and a mild antiseptic action to prevent razor rash. Progress indeed.
 Shaving - Again - Roger.
While on a hairy subject tinyurl.com/cawn3of The sting is in the last paragraph!
 Shaving - Again - madf
I have a very tough beard. If I don't shave for 1 day - let alone 2 - my beard cannot be cut quickly even with a new blade. It requires fresh angles of attack, repeated passes over the same bit etc.

The worst bit is round and under the chin. Multiple passes at different angles.

Consequently I shave every day - it's far less hassle.

(Yes, I wash first in hot water, lather etc.. makes little difference)
 Shaving - Again - DeeW
Madf, husband swore by Razorantium from Lush cosmetics. He had to shave twice a day when working.
 Shaving - Again - madf
>> Madf, husband swore by Razorantium from Lush cosmetics. He had to shave twice a day
>> when working.
>>

Dee Thanks
Will look at.

I don't have to shave twice a day: no evening shadow but my hair is so hard you could use it in a wire brush :-)
>> They may be 10 for a pound, but they give me a shave that looks like it.>>

That really does surprise me. I shave at least five days a week and, although I do have shaving gel/lotion to hand, find that ordinary soap is perfectly sufficient for a satisfactory shave.
 Shaving - Again - TeeCee
>> Shaving - Again

When was the last time..........?
Latest Forum Posts