Non-motoring > Seaside visits in Cumbria Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Stuu Replies: 10

Seaside visits in Cumbria - Stuu
Anyone have any tips for nice places to visit in Cumbria by the sea? We will be there in sept and we havent any clue where to go. Touristy is fine. Any other suggestions for places to visit welcomed too, we will be based in the southern lakes near Newby Bridge.
 Seaside visits in Cumbria - borasport
Depends on your interests, but Muncaster Castle (historic building and owl sanctuary) is one of our favourites, as is Ravenglass (Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway).

If the weather is decent, depending on age and inclination, either the sculpture trail, Go Ape or mountain bike hire in Grizedale forest would also come highly recommended
 Seaside visits in Cumbria - Iffy
...nice places to visit in Cumbria by the sea?...

Depends on your definition of sea.

At Newby you are nearest to Morecambe Bay, which is more of a tidal estuary.

Plenty of walking opportunities around Grange-over-Sands, but do your research first, unless you want to end up in Davy Jones' Locker with a load of Chinese winkle pickers.

Small motoring museum attached to nearby Holker Hall - nice spot for a light lunch.

Whitehaven and Workington are further up the coast and there's some seaside arcade/crazy golf action in the smaller town of Maryport.

Sellafield is near the coast, south of Whitehaven, and is well-developed for visitors, although I've never been.

Travelling further afield than any of the places mentioned above would mean spending all day in the car.

A final thought, if it's proper kiss me quick seaside you want, then Blackpool is only an hour or so from Newby.

Last edited by: ifithelps on Fri 21 May 10 at 17:52
 Seaside visits in Cumbria - Hard Cheese
>> Sellafield is near the coast, south of Whitehaven, and is well-developed for visitors, although I've never been.
>>

Tis very interesting.
 Seaside visits in Cumbria - Manatee
What do you like to do?

The obvious "seaside" places are Grange over Sands, or Morecambe. Grange might be the better choice for a run on the beach.

Morecambe may be a disappointment now - it was OK 50 years ago when we had family holidays there, but the last time I looked in, in the 80s, it was very run down indeed. The beach consists mainly of large pebbles IIRC!

We spent a week at Ravenglass last August and will go again. We like walking but not mountaineering. There's a small Wainwright book of 'Walks from Ratty' (the R&E Railway mentioned above) and we bought weekly tickets and did several of those. The hills are up to 1000' and removed enough from habitation to give you a sense of having to find your way and stretch your legs, but can be short enough to do before a pub lunch leaving the afternoon for another walk or something different. We spent an afternoon at the Lakeside Theatre in Keswick watching A Midsummer Night's Dream on a day when there must have been about 2" of rain!

There are a couple of reasonable pub options in Ravenglass itself, and up the Esk valley, but it's not what you'd call the fleshpots - definitely a village.

The drive over Hard Knott and Wrynose passes is a must of course.

We've been going to the Lake District for decades, and we now prefer to base ourselves in the less over-visited bits; September shouldn't be too bad though.

I was going to suggest a visit to Holker Hall and Gardens to visit the Lakeland Motor Museum, only 7 miles from Newby Bridge; but when I looked up the link for you I found it's moving to Backbarrow, only 2 miles from Newby Bridge - worth a visit IMO, but I like old stuff.

goo.gl/ut33

Last edited by: Manatee on Fri 21 May 10 at 18:08
>>What do you like to do?<<

Well we like an ice cream by the sea, has to be done.

Generally we do like visiting castles, my wife spent hours in Restormel Castle, she found it fancinating. We like drives out to scenic places, somewhere to take a picnic.

Aquariums and museums always good too.
 Seaside visits in Cumbria - Zero
make sure the carina is in fine fettle before you tackle the wrynose or hardknot passes.

there is a roman fort on hardknot
 Seaside visits in Cumbria - AnotherJohnH
Beware disc zone car parking - applies in Whitehaven and other places

www.allerdale.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/parking/on-street-parking/disc-parking.aspx

If you're going up passes, consider:

www.honister-slate-mine.co.uk/visitor_information.asp

For seaside and good icecream (and very little else) St. Bees is nice.
Thx for the tip on parking.

Interesting suggestions so far thanks folks.
 Seaside visits in Cumbria - Alastairw
If you want a quiet old fashioned seaside place, try Silloth on the Solway firth. Just along the coast, wide quiet beaches at Allonby. Lovely clean sand, dunes for digging, sea for paddling - the tide goes a long way out mind you.

Some of my best childhood hols were spent on this coast.
 Seaside visits in Cumbria - devonite
Dont forget Millom and Haverigg right at the southernmost tip of cumbria! very nice places ! (i can vouch for both!) - R.A.F museums at both places, >>Lovely clean sand, dunes for digging, sea for paddling - the tide goes a long way out mind you. << and can come in very fast!! check tide times!, Haverigg has the "Beach Cafe" virtually on the shore, and further up the "Dunes" there is a Naturist Area! ;-). Millom is more unique, twas an old Iron mining town, and is steeped in mining history, for more info, gaze here!

www.millom.org.uk/millom_home.asp

p.s

The nearest McDonalds is 25 miles away, although there are Chinese, Thai, Italian, English and now Indian eateries!
Latest Forum Posts