Non-motoring > Boat Race Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Armel Coussine Replies: 41

Boat Race - Armel Coussine
Did anyone else bother?

Not the closest, but pretty riveting more or less to the end. Very brave effort by the lighter crew.

Oxford cox used some language but they had that tough blonde woman to apologise - apparently her only useful function. She wasn't all that good. Used the insulting American word 'loser' in the hearing of knackered Cambridge rowers after the race. Not cool even if she didn't mean it in the American way.
 Boat Race - Robin O'Reliant
I didn't watch but I'm pleased Oxford got it.

One has to support one's old Alma Mater.
 Boat Race - Mapmaker
I was there. Jolly hard work for all the team.

The idea of listening to the cox; what *do* they think he will be saying? "Could you pull a little harder, please?"
 Boat Race - Roger.
That's what the bishop said to the actress, surely?
 Boat Race - BobbyG
This nonsense game between two teams of hooray henrys should be on pay tv rather than using Beeb money.
>> nonsense game

Can I help BG?

It's what is called a 'race' between two 'boats' adapted for fast 'rowing' on fairly calm 'water'. Both boats start rowing simultaneously and follow the same course. The one that reaches the end of the course first is declared the 'winner'.

It's true that to understand all these complicated details one needs some sort of cognitive ability. Perhaps you have been at the paint thinner again?
 Boat Race - madf
SWMBO watched and enjoyed it.

I did not.

She also watches A Murray. I do not.

Tennis fans = Boat Race fans in my opinion.. (mad as well)
 Boat Race - Alanovich

>> Tennis fans = Boat Race fans in my opinion.. (mad as well)
>>

madf, I used to attend the Boat Race every year, before marriage and family. I often go to the tennis at Wimbledon.

I also support a football club (actually I attend a Premier League club and a local amateur club on occasion), a rugby club, and I attend international football and rugby matches. I’ve been known to go to ice hockey matches, cycling events at velodromeas and on the road (been to see the Tour de France) I go to horse racing, although I don’t gamble much. I could go on. Oh yeah, I watch cricket sometimes.

As which stereotype sport fan do you categorise me? Am I a hooray Henry, a rugger or a football hooligan? Or do I just appreciate sport and watch whatever I like, whenever I like, without having to belong to a specific tribe?

:-)
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 3 Apr 13 at 10:23
 Boat Race - BobbyG
AC so who did the two teams beat to get to this final, this culmination of a long knock out process, maybe a league system or was it sudden death to get there?

Boat Race - CGNorwich

Why does it have to be a final? Its a race and that's that. It's just an event that involves over 170 years of tradition and training by the participants to a level of fitness that most sportsmen don't come anywhere near.

It a little bit of English culture and history and I always watch it on TV if I can. I have supported Oxford since I was about 5. I don't know why I chose them. I never been to any University let alone Oxford or Cambridge.

I just don't understand the need or desire to knock the event just because you have no l interest in it. Many have.
 Boat Race - sooty123
>>
>>
>> Why does it have to be a final? Its a race and that's that. It's
>> just an event that involves over 170 years of tradition and training by the participants
>> to a level of fitness that most sportsmen don't come anywhere near.
>>
>> It a little bit of English culture and history and I always watch it on
>> TV if I can. I have supported Oxford since I was about 5. I don't
>> know why I chose them. I never been to any University let alone Oxford or
>> Cambridge.
>>
>> I just don't understand the need or desire to knock the event just because you
>> have no l interest in it. Many have.
>>

Human nature I suppose, if you don't like something and can't understand why others like it, often follows you knock. I know I've done it, you must have at least once in your life?
>> who did the two teams beat to get to this final

It isn't a 'final' and the boat race isn't a 'game'. It's an annual competition between two university crews. The individual crew members have personal track records rowing in other crews. A lot of oarsmen have been assessed and tried out. Do you imagine that any old rubbish can get into a blue boat just by being a hooray?

Paint thinner, definitely.
 Boat Race - henry k
>> This nonsense game between two teams of hooray henrys should be on pay tv rather
>> than using Beeb money.
>>
I do not think you can be a hooray henry and be a rower at the same time. :-)
>> I do not think you can be a hooray henry and be a rower at the same time. :-)

I think you can actually hk... but don't tell anyone. They will only make a dim clamour.
 Boat Race - Mapmaker
Bobby>> hooray henrys

1) What do you mean by Hooray Henry?

2) What evidence do you have that any member of the Boat Race team fits into this category?

I lived next door to the Captain of the Cambridge crew one year. He was nearly 7 feet tall. He rowed and trained for every hour God gave him that he wasn't studying. He had a drink after the Boat Race. He probably did have another drink in the six months before it, but I wouldn't know when it was.

Bobby, you are really a nasty piece of work. Ignorant and jealous.
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 3 Apr 13 at 00:14
 Boat Race - BobbyG
8< snip

You know why!
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 3 Apr 13 at 01:53
 Boat Race - henry k
>>1) What do you mean by Hooray Henry?

>>2) What evidence do you have that any member of the Boat Race team fits into this category?

One guy I do know a little about who does not appear to fit that category.

www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/9962555/University-Boat-Race-2013-Oxford-stroke-and-Olympic-champion-Malcolm-Howard-remain-calm-before-storm.html

He is married and is studying for a master’s in clinical medicine.

My daughter is a surgeon, studying at the same college and has also taken up rowing ( but at college level) so I am aware of some of the training she undertakes.
 Boat Race - swiss tony
>> >>1) What do you mean by Hooray Henry?

>> My daughter is a surgeon, studying at the same college and has also taken up
>> rowing

Does that make her a 'Hooray Henry's' daughter? ;-)
 Boat Race - henry k
>>Does that make her a 'Hooray Henry's' daughter? ;-)
Frayed knot
I did nuffink about hay levels or ooni or camford but was good on the brush in a factoty :-)
Funny old world.

If you visit the "Oxford Examination Schools" area at final exam time then you will see play time.
www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/9326786/Raucous-Oxford-finalists-injure-University-officials.html
 Boat Race - Mapmaker
She's not doing a DPhil in weighing babies is she, Henry?
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Wed 3 Apr 13 at 12:42
 Boat Race - BobbyG
>>Bobby, you are really a nasty piece of work. Ignorant and jealous.

More proof that you don't have a clue what you are talking about Mappy.
 Boat Race - Mapmaker
>> >>Bobby, you are really a nasty piece of work. Ignorant and jealous.
>>
>> More proof that you don't have a clue what you are talking about Mappy.
>>
>>

There is no longer any proof as your charming comment has been deleted by the mods.

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=13640&m=308643
 Boat Race - BobbyG
Yeah that post only happened because, you, who don't know me, accused me of being nasty piece of work, ignorant and jealous.

Care to qualify any of those remarks Mappy?

Mind you , I still haven't reached your achievement of having a post removed due to so many complaints about it eh??

I must try harder.
 Boat Race - Bromptonaut
>> Bobby, you are really a nasty piece of work. Ignorant and jealous.
>

I say, that's a bit heavy isn't it?

Cambridge on line dictionary defines a Hooray Henry as 'a young man from a high social class who speaks loudly and behaves in a noticeable way in public'

It's not wholly unreasonable, on the evidence of public figures such as our PM, Chancellor and Boris Johnson to conclude that Oxbridge has more than their fair share of such characters.

Bobby's mistake perhaps was to assume that the rowers were selected from the Universities whereas in fact many are selected by the Universities from amongst a cohort of rowers.
 Boat Race - No FM2R
>>the rowers were selected from the Universities whereas in fact many are selected by the Universities from amongst a cohort of rowers

Run that one past me again... Aren't the rowers all students of the particular university?
 Boat Race - Bromptonaut
>> Run that one past me again... Aren't the rowers all students of the particular university?

My understanding is that being an oarsman is a good reason for selection to certain student places.
 Boat Race - crocks
Of the sixteen rowers in the Boat Race only three were doing first degrees - one at Cambridge, two at Oxford. All had been Junior World Champions.

The other thirteen were doing a variety of second degrees, none had gained their first degrees at Oxford or Cambridge. Ten of these rowers gained their first degree overseas.

The average age was 25 and the oldest 30.
 Boat Race - No FM2R
>>My understanding is that being an oarsman is a good reason for selection to certain student places.

Oh, I see.

Well it certainly happens in the US, so I guess I wouldn't be surprised.
Last edited by: No FM2R on Thu 4 Apr 13 at 15:04
Some Oxbridge colleges used to have sort of 'sports scholarships'. Dunno about now, but it may be easier to get in to do a PhD or Master's or some such if you are a hefty bloke who has already rowed successfully for Harvard or Adelaide...

Not surprising really that the average age of blue crews is four or five years older than most undergraduates. People continue to grow and become stronger into their twenties. School crews and rugger teams sometimes included dumb bunnies older than most of the sixth form but stalled at O Level and already sporting moustaches...

I've just remembered something else about rowing at school: the First Eight used to get half a pint of Guinness at dinner every night (but only in the summer term) to everyone else's enormous envy. Some might have envied the claret that the priests running the place got with their dinner, but at least they didn't have to listen to some little boy reading to them in Latin throughout the meal, as the priests did.
 Boat Race - hawkeye
>> Did anyone else bother?
>>
Yes I did and enjoyed it. Always try and watch it; takes me back to schooldays splashing up and down the Wear.
 Boat Race - Londoner
The Boat Race doesn't do any harm, so let everyone involved just get on with it and enjoy it.

Of course, to me "Boat Race" has a different meaning altogether from two university teams rowing on the Thames! ;-)
 Boat Race - Bromptonaut
>> The Boat Race doesn't do any harm, so let everyone involved just get on with
>> it and enjoy it.

Just like cycling.
 Boat Race - Zero
>> >> The Boat Race doesn't do any harm, so let everyone involved just get on
>> with
>> >> it and enjoy it.
>>
>> Just like cycling.

They pay to use the facilities. Unlike cycling
Last edited by: Zero on Tue 2 Apr 13 at 20:44
 Boat Race - zookeeper
next
the derby
grand national
wimbeldon
snooker in sheffield

thats what makes england great
well it makes me grate
 Boat Race - MD
Some of you lot might as well be foreigners. It's tradition, get used to it. Part of life's rich pattern. When it all gone you'll be just another piece of 'don't matter'. More power to them and pah to you moaners.

Old Father Thames keeps rolling along, down to the Mighty Sea>>>>>
 Boat Race - Runfer D'Hills
Don't be too hard on Bobby, he can't quite relate to anything which would involve having to change your shoes...
>> can't quite relate to anything which would involve having to change your shoes...

Oddly enough Humph, rowing when I was at school was the only sport you didn't have to change your shoes for. Lace-up black school shoes were thought to give an oarsman more 'punch' than gym shoes or anything rubber-soled. I don't know what top oarsmen wear but that was the received wisdom at school. Otherwise one wore sort of tennis gear, except for the shorts which usually had a double seat. Even that didn't prevent one from getting the odd blister from the working of the sliding seat and the difference between sitting forward for the longest possible reach and lying back at the other end of the stroke.

There's a bit more to proper rowing than meets the eye. It's an amazing feeling when all eight oars drop into the water and are pulled very hard in perfect synchronisation. A bit like flying, until you get knackered which you do very soon indeed. And the simultaneous extraction of the oars at the end of the stroke is even more important for speed. As is the instant feathering of the oars and the need to keep them clear of the water while coming forward. You can see all this if you watch closely but it passes a lot of people by. And seems boring to them I guess. As it is, in a way, like all sports...

Oarsmen of top class are usually big but they are also long. Musclebound rugger forwards have strength and weight but they can't do the movement. Their muscles get in the way. I was 10 stone at school and it was a small school, but you had to do sport back then and I preferred rowing to cricket. The third eight had two boats it could use: an old twisted shell boat - they were made of thin mahogany then not plastic, beautiful things - that was light but couldn't be rowed for 10 strokes without two or three people at one end or the other burying their oars, and a heavy old clinker-built boat perhaps 50 or 100 years old, but straight. It wasn't as fast but it was far better.
 Boat Race - Dutchie
I've watched it good race you can't beat tradition.I've done some rowing only at sea testing one of the liveboats whilst we where at anker.Not in these lads class do..;)
Seagoing rowing boats, Atlantic whalers and the like, are another matter altogether Dutchie. But they use proper oars, one to a man, not the little sculls that people often think of as oars.

Dunno about class but seamen used to be pretty strong physically. Their lives depended on it indeed. And as people pointed out last time there was a boat race thread, Thames watermen and the like could often row the pants off anyone... and some of their events are also old and traditional. What's that Doggett's thing...
 Boat Race - Dutchie
By class I meant the amount of training these lads put in A.C.

I know different experience rowing at sea >:)
 Boat Race - Cliff Pope
>> >> but you
>> had to do sport back then and I preferred rowing to cricket.
>>
>>

Happy days ! I managed to skive off into the sailing club - a cosy option messing around in antiquated boats. It was originally a summer-only option, but we talked the master in charge round to the idea that we could do maintenance work on the boats in the winter. So we lazed around in the workshop instead of freezing to death on the rugger field.

I knew rowers at Cambridge in the late sixties. They were mostly Hooray Henrys, one of them even called Henry, but I suspect modern rowers are more professional.
 Boat Race - Bromptonaut
I used to work with a guy who rowed. Public schoolboy but no hooray. Got to quite a senior level in the Civil Service Rowing Club and, last time I looked was still on the water as a veteran. I'm reasonably fit but he'd leave me for dead on foot or a bike.

Tried to get me involved as a cox - I have the slight build required - and sent me out with the ladies team.

Afraid I found the hard exercising ladies too distracting.....
Latest Forum Posts