Non-motoring > April 1st 2013 Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Old Navy Replies: 27

April 1st 2013 - Old Navy
Can we put all the April 1st stuff Like Virgin introducing glass bottomed planes on their new domestic routes here, so that simpletons like me don't get too embarrassed. :-)
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 1 Apr 13 at 08:59
 April 1st 2013 - Slidingpillar
Most of them bore me silly. BMW did a 'fool' presumably on the grounds it was not possible in mid 80s. The 'fool' device they claimed to have invented was actually available in 1944 on the DUKW. Claiming to have invented something on the motoring front is often doomed to failure as quite often, you'd be surprised by just how early it first appeared. Twin cam engine? I've seen one made before the First World War. Flush glazing, before the Second World War, and front wheel drive - which Audi claimed to have invented in the mid 30s, was around in the 1890s - you could buy a two wheeled engine pack to replace the front axle and horses of your horse and cart!

Decent hoaxes are a rarity, perhaps the Spaghetti Harvest and the Sans Seriffe Islands are about the best.

Spaghetti Harvest
news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/1/newsid_2819000/2819261.stm

Sans Seriffe
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Serriffe
 April 1st 2013 - Meldrew
BMW usually make an effort. A few years ago they were offering a limited edition ceramic model of a 5 series by the distinguished Finnish sculptor Lirf Loopa. Nothing in my broadsheet daily today, from them. Budget cuts perhaps?
 April 1st 2013 - Zero
www.bmw.co.uk/en/publicPools/campaign-pages/bmw-pram/bmw-pram-maam.html
 April 1st 2013 - bathtub tom
I enjoyed the piece on BBC R4 Today program. Just before 9:00.
 April 1st 2013 - Crankcase
Hop over to a Google page and you'll see that Google Nose is in beta release today.
 April 1st 2013 - Meldrew
Well spotted indeed Zero! On the corporate website by the look of it. Usual good effort!
 April 1st 2013 - -
Very good BMW spoof, it would sell well if they cared to make it.
 April 1st 2013 - zookeeper
glass bottom planes ...yeah i saw through that one, surely the only view would be the cargo hold ?
 April 1st 2013 - Meldrew
tinyurl.com/blu8jzc This has been posted by both the the Times and the Independent and, unless they have both picked on the same spoof, it may actually be true. Maybe a double bluff.
glass cockpit is a real concept though... all your instruments are on a screen

www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rwfOcFSxgo
www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21991622

deffo a wind up this one
 April 1st 2013 - Zero
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21991622
>>
>>
>> deffo a wind up this one

TING

Wrong - score none for the zookeeper

www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21993582
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 1 Apr 13 at 15:51
 April 1st 2013 - Pat
It's my birthday today........

Pat
yeah its my birthday too
 April 1st 2013 - R.P.

Click here to get more Candle Greetings from MasterGreetings.com
Get More Candle Greetings

April 1st 2013 - Pat
Thanks RP, I didn't expect anyone to believe me!

Zookeeper, are you hot headed, fiery and loyal to the end too:)

Pat
 April 1st 2013 - swiss tony
happy birthday Pat, hope you had a great day

April 1st 2013 - Armel Coussine
>> hope you had a great day

So do I if you're not having us on Pat.

Either way, the night is still young.
hey just checking my blind side...true through zero one eighty
 April 1st 2013 - Zero
>> It's my birthday today........
>>
>> Pat

Attention Seeker.
 April 1st 2013 - CGNorwich
a virtual present

tinyurl.com/c35dtg9
 April 1st 2013 - Pat
What a rubbish pressie, they don't work!

Pat
 April 1st 2013 - Zero
>> What a rubbish pressie, they don't work!
>>
>> Pat
but dipped in batter and deep fried they are gorgeous.
 April 1st 2013 - Bromptonaut
A personal one.

We spent the Easter weekend at Center Parcs is Sherwood Forest. Mrs B and I together with our two adult offspring, Miss B's boyfriend (who's the son of Mrs B's oldest friend) and my sister, her husband and their three under 14s. My mother's treat for her grandchildren.

The boyfriend left at 10:30 this morning as he needed to be back at Uni in Southampton for an assignment. We went for a bike ride and then lunch before stetting off home.

Arrived around 16:00 to find post etc on kitchen table. Not that unusual as neighbour often pops in if we're away.

Then we realise several other things not as we left them. A chair moved. Lad's guitar not where he left it. 'Welshcakes' added to the shopping list. Three candles on the dining table (albeit unlit) Miss B's bed made, not the mess she left it in. After a minute or two she finds a Creme Egg and a card worded 'April Fool' under her pillow.

The b/f has keys to our house........

April 1st 2013 - BobbyG
Brompton, how was CP?

I was first there about 20 years ago and last there 4 years ago and it didn't look as if they had spent much in between times?
 April 1st 2013 - henry k
One for Zero.
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21993455

A summary for all
www.thepoke.co.uk/2013/04/01/april-fools-round-up-2013/
 April 1st 2013 - Zero
>> One for Zero.
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21993455

Dont need it, my mobile phone now lists all the traffic (inc goods) live through a particular spot on the railway. Where its been, where its going, and all the technical details about it.
Latest Forum Posts