Non-motoring > Maths leads to money? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 10

Maths leads to money? - Crankcase
Ah, now, don't say I don't share. You'd clearly be well advised to back this horse in the National on Saturday. A local "maths genius" has predicted the winner, and although I did struggle a bit with the extraordinarily complex theory explained in the article, I think I've grasped it now.

Anyway, if the theory is too hard, you could just go on blind faith.

www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Cambridge-University-maths-whizz-predicts-Grand-National-winner-20130403104304.htm
 Maths leads to money? - Zero
Yeah, well my money says Imperial Commander, it has experience and form with the conditions. (unless it chucks it down between now and race day, imperial commander does not do well in heavy going)

Seabass has a good chance to, but thats sod all to do with the letters in its name, whats the average number of letter per horses name?
 Maths leads to money? - AnotherJohnH
How do the horses go through snow?
 Maths leads to money? - Robin O'Reliant
My own betting system is gloriously uncomplicated. I look at the paper in the morning, pick the horse listed as third favourite and go for that. It's no more reliable or unreliable than any other method, but it nearly always gives you a run for your money. My last Yankee returned £161 for a £5.50 stake.

Mostly I get nothing back other than an entertaining few hours shouting at the telly, but that's the joy of racing.
 Maths leads to money? - No FM2R
I only ever bet when on a course, and apply absolutely no science whatsoever.

I don;t win either, but I usually have a good time.

Having said that, I thought this was interesting....

www.raceadvisor.co.uk/top-horse-racing-gambling-systems-%E2%80%93-winning-favourites/
 Maths leads to money? - Alanovich
Aye, RR. I usually go for a 16 or 20-1 shot in the National. It's my only bet of the year. So far the system has produced 1 winner in 25 years (so it's not exactly brilliant), and I also benefited from beginner's luck with Lucius in 1978. Stuck a pin in the newspaper to select that one, aged 8.
 Maths leads to money? - CGNorwich
Many pages of detailed calculations involving quantum mechanics, chaos theory and most of all Heisenbergs' Uncertainty Principle allow me to tell you that the winner will be "On His Own (probably).

Ah Heisenberg. I always enjoyed the tale of the time he was stopped for speeding.

The policeman asked, "Excuse me sir, but do you know how fast you were going?"

And he replied "No, Officer, but I do know exactly where I am".

Maths leads to money? - Fursty Ferret
I have, for the last few years, managed to pick the winner of next year's National. Which is not all that helpful, since I invariably forget who I backed the first time around or change my find.
Eeep. Just been inveigled into works sweepstake, which I've never done before.

I drew - Imperial Commander.
 Maths leads to money? - helicopter
My old man used to love betting on the nags in the 50s & 60's- usually only a few shillings and he used to take a few bets as well.

I remember his excitement and his hat going into the air when watching the 1961 Grand National as Nicolaus Silver passed the post to win.

My mother asked him why the excitement and he said that he had bet on the winner at odds of 33 to 1. He was then asked how much he had bet and when he said £5 mum went ballistic even when realising that his winnings in 1961 bought her a complete new Ercol dining room suite - Where did you get a fiver to put a bet on she asked with a scowl ???

A fiver then was equivalent to £100 now and he won getting on for the equivalent of three grand...
Latest Forum Posts