Non-motoring > Telegraph Online Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 25

Telegraph Online - Robin O'Reliant
Anyone subscribed now they've started charging?

I've bit the bullet at two quid a month, reckless fool that I am.
 Telegraph Online - Zero
Nope. Not while there are still free news sites.
 Telegraph Online - Manatee
Seems to work OK for me - does it conk out after a while?

We get the paper version on subscription so maybe that will also cover the online one. You get the iPad version, shame I haven't an iPad.
 Telegraph Online - Roger.
It seems to work by depositing a counting type cookie in your PC.
The easy way out, is to clear out the D.T. lodged cookies when you reach their limit of 20 articles.
Try Ccleaner - free versio. In the options tab down the LH side, find cookies to keep & delete. Make sure you choose all the DT ones to be deleted, while keeping cookies you want for log-ins on your visited sites
Make sure that your preferred browser is included in the list of apps to be cleaned.
Then when the DT says "no more" - just run Ccleaner and you should be good for the next 20.
 Telegraph Online - Fursty Ferret
If you subscribe on the iPad the Telegraph site access is included. I prefer the Times but their iPad app is terrible.
 Telegraph Online - Dog
I was wondering why I could read the Terrorflag okay, but then I clean my cookers out every night on IE & Chrome.
 Telegraph Online - CGNorwich
I guess the era of free news, at least anything much more than the headlines, is drawing to a close. Realistically web advertising is never going to support costly journalism and some sort of payment is inevitable if newspapers are to have a future albeit online.

So far my subscriptions have been limited to Kindle versions of newspapers, either the Times or the Guardian when I am on holiday abroad as I still prefer a paper paper when I can get one.

Telegraph Online - Roger.
I prefer a dead tree paper but I cannot afford one. I used to do the Telegraph crossword and that was a major draw way back when.
 Telegraph Online - Cliff Pope
The Telegraph's a good quality paper for lighting the stove each morning.
It doesn't need to be folded into the traditional fire jacks, just scrunching it up will do.
The sports section is annoying because of the staples, but the business section is useful as the lighted quill to plunge in before slamming the door shut.
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Thu 11 Apr 13 at 08:58
 Telegraph Online - Crankcase
What's wrong with staples in a stove? We get all sorts of bits of wood with odd nails and things in, never mind staples - it just burns away, nails drop into ashpan, done.
>> What's wrong with staples in a stove?
>>

Nothing - but it makes it harder to separate the pages when crumpling up for firelighting.
Also the grain of the paper runs in tabloid not broadsheet, so it doesn't tear so nicely.
Ah, I've had an entire day when I can only assume I put on my special "I've spectacularly missed the point" tee shirt this morning, and yours was just the first. Sorry.
>> Ah, I've had an entire day when I can only assume I put on my
>> special "I've spectacularly missed the point" tee shirt this morning, and yours was just the
>> first. Sorry.
>>

It's OK. Firelighting is my special subject. My mission is to sufficiently train the rest of the family so that they can achieve a good hot fire in a short time without filling the room with smoke, and complaining that the chimney must need sweeping.
I'm just so pleased to have come across a fellow aficionado. :)
Firelighting?

Mother in law makes a little heap with various sizes of kindling, artfully arranged. According to the weather/day/runes, the heap comprises various types of wood taken from various stores around the house and garden. The size of the heap has an entirely unfathomable to me but I am assured arithmethic relationship with the hand chosen pieces of fuel that are again placed with precision, sometimes involving tweezers, and quite possibly a microscope.

Her fires go whooshing away like great galumphing things in moments.

I however, bung a wrapped Zip firelighter in and idly wave a languorous match at it.

My fires go whooshing away like great galumphing things in moments.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 11 Apr 13 at 15:44
 Telegraph Online - Dog
MiL sounds exactly like me Cc, she's not a Virgo by any chance is she??
She is actually, Dog.
 Telegraph Online - Dog
:-D
 Telegraph Online - Zero

>> Her fires go whooshing away like great galumphing things in moments.
>>
>> I however, bung a wrapped Zip firelighter in and idly wave a languorous match at
>> it.
>>
>> My fires go whooshing away like great galumphing things in moments.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K-VEXz9qSk
Try the i - Surely you can run to 20p
 Telegraph Online - Zero
We get the i, quite like it as a format, First two pages are brief summaries of the news, expanded later through the paper. Not much in the way of in depth political commentary, poor sports coverage tho.

Its a good value 20p
Yes, I buy one most days. Just right for reading over lunch. At 20p you can't complain.

Apart from the fact that I prefer reading physical newspapers to online I'm not sure how we would manage without old newspaper and their myriad uses from cleaning paintbrushes to putting under the cat's food bowl*. If they ever disappear I suppose we will have to buy the blank paper!

*Cat has become less right wing and more tolerant of the Persian cats next door since I stopped buying the Telegraph and switched to the i. :-)

Telegraph Online - madf
>> I prefer a dead tree paper but I cannot afford one. I used to do
>> the Telegraph crossword and that was a major draw way back when.
>>

I subscribe at £4.50 per week 6 months in advance.
 Telegraph Online - AnotherJohnH
I get the Telegraph on my Kindle, £9.99 per month.

Appears in the early hours via home WiFi, and when away the Kindle can be tethered to my 'droid and downloaded in a minute or three.

However, the paper is not quite complete, compared to the print edition: missing games, xwords and other odd content including the weekend offers.

Just about worth it, but I suspect the walk to get a physical paper would be better for me.
 Telegraph Online - madf

>>
>> Just about worth it, but I suspect the walk to get a physical paper would
>> be better for me.
>>

18 miles a week worth for me.
 Telegraph Online - Ambo
There is still good foreign (i.e. including the UK) news coverage free online in The Irish Times.
 Telegraph Online - AnotherJohnH
regarding missing content -

the grammar test featured in another thread here was not in the Kindle edition.
Latest Forum Posts