Non-motoring > Fence preserver Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 14

Fence preserver - legacylad
I promised my old Mum that I would treat her fence & shed this Spring as I have not touched them for 5 years. Last time it took me 2 full days...both sides of the fence and a substantial length.
I shall require about 20 litres minimum.
Preferably oil based, and a preservative. Blackfriars seems the best option @ £18.80/5l from a nearby DIY store. Any recommendations please?
 Fence preserver - Dog
Weave bin there before m8y ISTR.
 Fence preserver - Old Navy
>> Weave bin there before m8y ISTR.
>>

Its a seasonal one, technology moves on! :-)
 Fence preserver - Clk Sec
>>Its a seasonal one,

Quite right. It'll soon be time for another weedkiller thread.

Glad you're feeling better, ON.
 Fence preserver - Old Navy
Thanks to all for their support, I was only walking wounded, there are plenty worse off than me.

I see that Aircon has appeared, soon it will be bug shifters, car polish, summer tyres, etc before we are back to mud flaps, screenwash, different tyres, and "my heater is not working". :-)

Last edited by: Old Navy on Fri 26 Apr 13 at 09:08
 Fence preserver - Dog
What happened about the ironing board thread then? (I liked your contribution O/N)

Ironing boards must be a lot fun I should imagine - going by the time my missus spends playing with one.

^_^
>> I see that Aircon has appeared, soon it will be bug shifters, car polish, summer
>> tyres, etc before we are back to mud flaps, screenwash, different tyres, and "my heater
>> is not working". :-)

Breadmakers haven't been discussed for a good while now. And ours is still on the blink...

And getting back to the OP. I was thinking of posting something similar myself as Mrs CS wants a change from the creosote that I've always used in the past.
 Fence preserver - CGNorwich
Discussion to include:

Why can't you buy creosote any more - it never did me any harm

I buy creosote in France

What is creocote.

I use old sump oil - in fact I use old sump oil for everything

Water based treatment are rubbish

There is no point treating fences as it is the posts that rot.

Why not plant a hedge?
 Fence preserver - L'escargot
>> Water based treatment are rubbish

I agree.
 Fence preserver - Duncan
>> Discussion to include:

>>
>> There is no point treating fences as it is the posts that rot.

Just had one fence renewed up at The Towers.

The advice from the v. experienced fence chap was to go for concrete posts and gravel boards. He said the permitted preservatives nowadays allow posts to rot in about 3 to 5 years.

The concrete posts will last for a very long time.
 Fence preserver - L'escargot
>> The advice from the v. experienced fence chap was to go for concrete posts and
>> gravel boards.

I agree.
Yes, wooden posts are a waste of time but gravel boards can be unsightly. Better to fix the panels an inch or so above ground level.

Works well if you have a tidy neighbour.
 Fence preserver - WillDeBeest
Water based treatment are rubbish.

Wasn't you I had the pleasure of listening to in town yesterday, was it, l'Es? I was unlocking my bike and having an extended fiddle with my helmet straps, so I got the full benefit - several times over - of his opinion on water-based paint, EU regulations, his client's personality and his own superior knowledge and expertise. The poor woman he was talking to - at - barely got a word in.
 Fence preserver - madf
Old engine oil kills everything...
 Fence preserver - Slidingpillar
including engines...
:o)
Latest Forum Posts