Non-motoring > Website maker/s Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 10

Website maker/s - MD
Good day all. Does anyone have any experience of using a free Website builder and what should one look out for. Never tried before (obviously).

Thanks.
 Website maker/s - Old Navy
Mrs ON uses WordPress for a website that she runs.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Mon 29 Apr 13 at 13:16
 Website maker/s - Dave
I use a (purchased) product called Serif WebPlus. Seems pretty straight forward to operate. At least I managed to make a passable website for my products with it.
Last edited by: Dave on Mon 29 Apr 13 at 14:44
 Website maker/s - MD
May I have a look at it?
 Website maker/s - Dave
>> May I have a look at it?
>>

The website? hundgubbe.se - but it's in swedish!
 Website maker/s - MD
It looks good Dave.
 Website maker/s - Dave
When I started the business 4 years ago, I had a look at the free stuff. Even though I only wanted a simple site, most of it was pretty basic, and due to my then slow connection, it was impossible to use. So I bought the Serif stuff and spent a little time playing around.

TBH it didn't take a great deal of time to figure out the basics, and then play around with the slightly more complicated stuff. But I'm only selling poxy dog boxes, so all that's really needed is pictures and prices.

Last year I approached someone that has done a few other sites, for a price to re-do mine. Basically I wanted some new stuff on there, and was feeling lazy. They came in with a price of ca. £600 for the basic layout and template, and then £40 an hour for everything else. And I was to supply the words and pictures, and tell them where to put them. So it looked like it would be an open ended deal, with me still doing some of the work. I had this feeling inside that it would be an expensive and frustrating arrangement, with me spending more time and energy explaining what I wanted and where, why I maybe wasn't happy with the result, getting it changed etc. and all while the (money) clock was ticking. So I sat down with the book, and did the changes myself.
 Website maker/s - Slidingpillar
Agreed, commercial websites cost a fortune. I drew up and look after a simple website for my brother's shop and if I was invoicing, probably would have hit £1000 by now as I've been doing the job for about 2 years.

A handy hint layout wise is both Firefox and IE (not checked Chrome) display a page correctly that has a margin in pixels, ie your left hand navigation and the rest defined as 100% to force the full usage of whatever screen resolution the viewer is using. With this trick, a site can look nice on old computers with small screen, and something with a large screen. Not currently using this trick, so not bothered to see what Chrome does.

Do though make sure what you do looks ok with IE, Firefox and Chrome as there is some variation in how commands are interpreted.
 Website maker/s - MD
Thanks to all.
 Website maker/s - Stuartli
Microsoft does some website creation software such as:

office.microsoft.com/en-001/business/office-365-create-a-website-for-your-business-FX102997524.aspx

Website maker/s - MD
Thanks Stu. Clicking on the link has them wanting to install the latest IE. I don't want to be owned. There's always a catch eh?
Latest Forum Posts