Non-motoring > The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: busbee Replies: 19

The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - busbee
It's time to get the ant-bait/s down, to kill off the queen/s before they start laying more eggs. Last year's eggs have hatched and those tiny blighters can now be seen to be running around. Put my first bait down in the garden yesterday with a roof tile over it for rain protection.
 The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - Dog
There is enough killing in this world, without killing orf all the queens.
 The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - Manatee
I'm quite happy to leave them alone if they will do the same for me.

Unfortunately, we get them in the house if we don't deploy shock and awe very timeously.
 The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - Ted

I did all the gaps between me paving yesterday with weedkiller. There were quite a few small volcanos of sand thrown up by the ants as I progressed.

The weedkiller will see them off but there'll be more to replace them. I'm happy to leave them as well .....they just happen to be in the way.

Ted
 The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - Fullchat
Last year I had about 3 areas of ant infestation under my block dive which caused some minor subsidence.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 7 May 13 at 00:48
 The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - CGNorwich
It has been estimated that there are up to ten quadrillion (10,000,000,000,000,000) ants in the world and the form up to 20% or the terrestrial animal biomass.

You are on the losing side!
 The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - Armel Coussine
Yeah, you can't beat the ants. And it may be a bad idea to annoy them because there are more of them than us even if we count the immigrants and old pensioners as parts of the human population.

Can't understand what Ted and others have against a bit of moss and grass poking up between the flagstones though. Why the passion for black poisoned earth between the stones? Philistine if you ask me, although this malevolent attitude to innocent vegetation is found in people who are otherwise quite normal and have good taste.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Tue 7 May 13 at 00:46
I had them in the house for a long time before I realised I could not win using just sprays and powders. New places appeared that were mostly only found when the little piles of sand appeared.

Baits work. The garden is also largely free.

The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - madf
Trying to kill ants here is like doing a King Canute.. with less chance of success.

We just leave a trail of honey away from the house.
 The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - bathtub tom
Never had any success with baits, what are you using?

My garden's got lots of red ones. I invariably get a few nests when I cut the grass. The little blighters get annoyed and have a nasty nip.
 The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - DP
>> My garden's got lots of red ones. I invariably get a few nests when I
>> cut the grass. The little blighters get annoyed and have a nasty nip.

I remember getting bitten by red ants as a kid. It smarts.
 The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - madf
Avon Ever So Soft (oil) repels ants and all sorts of mossies..
Is it a repellant?

Cue ant jokes

The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - BiggerBadderDave
Don't tread on an ant he's done nothing to you
There might come a day
When he's treading on you
Don't tread on an ant you'll end up black and blue
You cut off his head
Legs come looking for you

Adam Ant, nutcase. Wibble wibble. Arrested for lobbing a car alternator threw a Camden pub window. (Perhaps that bit should be moved to the Motoring Discussion).
 The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - Zero
I was filming train once and I didn't realise it was near a nest of huge great red wood ants (Formica rufa). Damn things were marching up my legs stinging and biting things in an instant.
 The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - Runfer D'Hills
That is however, a useful way of remembering the difference between stalactites and stalagmites.

Just picture a ballet dancer on an anthill.

The mites go up and the tights come down.

The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - bathtub tom
SWMBO needed to relieve herself. There were some woods nearby.

Right on top of an ants nest - they displayed their anger!
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Thu 9 May 13 at 20:35
 The ants are on the move. Time to get baiting. - Kevin
>Right on top of an ants nest - they displayed their anger!

Good job we don't have fire-ants here (yet).

Nasty little critters that somehow synchronise their bites to inflict maximum instant pain.
What ant bait/s

I have use "Ant Stop" by Home Defense -- not sure if that is an s or a c ----
and Nippon ones.

The ant stop are black 3" circular discs. half inch high, of hard black plastic with a red label and totally sealed until you break off one or more of the four hard-plastic protrusions to reveal a hole. So they have along shelf life. They come as two on a card. They seem more effective that the nippon but can dry out -- if so, dribble some water in to extend life.

The nippon ones are metal of similar shape and size with a tube of clear liquid to put inside the 'tins' when you remove a lid.

I have only black-ish ants.

If you have lots of ants it will take more than one season to get them down to a manageable level.

Did you ever watch "Them"?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSXRXuTM-64
Latest Forum Posts