Non-motoring > Pressure Washers Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Runfer D'Hills Replies: 47

Pressure Washers - Runfer D'Hills
Pressure washer. Sort of toying with getting one. Never had or even used one before. However, I feel I might if I did.

My car does a lot of miles and is usually filthy so I might clean it more if I had a quicker easier method. Her's does fewer miles but again it spends it's life mostly on country roads so it's often muddy. Then there are the mountain bikes which get mucky every weekend. Also, we have a fair old amount of slabbed and paved areas around our house which get grubby.

Soooo, any thoughts, recommendations, caveats, advice or warnings ?

Thanks !

Pressure Washers - Zero
Had one, it broke, dont miss it.

Its liable to strip all the lubrication out of your bikes as well as the mud. Which is no bad thing I guess as long as you know it has and re-lubricate it. Great for cleaning chains.
Last edited by: Zero on Sun 12 May 13 at 10:09
 Pressure Washers - -
They are good, but can be a faff to set up each time.

Would be best if you can set it up semi permanently near the entrance of your garage for example, that way its just a a case of turning the water and electric on uncoil the pie and away you go....keep in mind that it will need covering when not in use to protect from frost so don't chuck away any old quilts coats or blankets that would suffice.

Several things...make sure the electric lead is long enough, but most importantly you want a long enough water pipe that it does all your regular car washing in situ (easy enough for Lady H to use..;) ), nothing worse than keep having to move the blinking thing to reach round the car whilst tripping over the electric cable too, so get one with a long enough pipe or one that you can get a reasonably priced extension for to double the length.

Some of these extensions are silly prices, and i did wonder if low pressure air line, thick criss cross nylon reinforced clear plastic pipe usually cheap to buy from hydraulic suppliers, would cope with the pressures involved here but i haven't checked if possible.

In practice i haven't used the detergent dispenser, uses too much anyway, better off to use one of those hand held pressure sprayers to apply TFR imo, if you spot one those Auto Smart lorries about he'll gladly sell you good quality car wash chemicals for a afir price.

I'm toying with investing in something a bit more industrial in this line meself, proper hot water washer, but costs escalate quickly.
 Pressure Washers - Dog
I've had a mid-range Karcher for about 8 years now, I originally bought it to pressure wash my patio area, on which it does a first class job.

I have used it to wash the jamjar now and again, but I find it easier to just use a hose TBH.

I dug out my old Karcher last week to clean the patio here + all the cast iron/hard wood furniture + all the (lots of) various lumps of granite that define the pathway/patio etc.

What an excellent job it did!, and although the Karcher hasn't been used for over 1 year, AND it's 8 years old, I would recommend em to anyone.

I've got a lot of white painted (Weathershield) retaining walls here, covered in algea, and I shall nuke those in due course too.
 Pressure Washers - Robin O'Reliant
I've got one but I rarely use it. I find one of those garden hose attachments that shoot the water out in a jet is nearly as good for the cars and much less of a faff to set up and use. As GB said most of them don't have a long enough electric cable and you're always tripping over the thing.
 Pressure Washers - Kevin
>I've had a mid-range Karcher for about 8 years now,

You're doing well Dog, I've had two Karchers and they've both failed just outside the warranty period with broken inlet manifolds. Googling showed that I wasn't the only one.

I bought a Nilfisk that's now 3yo without any problems.

I wouldn't buy a pressure washer just to wash cars and bikes Humph, but they're definitely worth it if you have large paved areas. Our patio is about 60 sq M and gets really grubby over winter. About three hours with the blaster has it looking like new, minus a bit of mortar.
 Pressure Washers - Dog
Yes, I've read about the Karchers going nipples up before their time Kevin, although my one has had little use, but then 8 years is still 8 years.

The other thing that no one has mentioned is that pressure washers use less water when washing a car, than just using a hosepipe.

This is for Humph to watch when there's nothing on the box worth watching, he goes on a bit though, and I don't think he's wearing the correct shoes for the job either.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh_8uYFQ_B4
 Pressure Washers - Dog
If I was a'gonna replace my trusty Karcher - this is the one I would gofer:

www.amazon.co.uk/Nilfisk-X-Tra-Pressure-Washer-Cleaner/dp/B00AZKE2HC/ref=dp_ob_title_hi
 Pressure Washers - CGNorwich
I used to have one (a Bosch) but to be quite honest I found it to be one of those things I hardly ever used and junked it. A hose and a brush is just as good on the car and I found that for cleaning the patio etc, whilst effective, it created so much mess spraying dirt and water everywhere. I now just use a hose and a long handled scrubbing brush an a drop of detergent.
 Pressure Washers - smokie
I come in from pressure washing the front paving and find this thread...

Not sure how I'd keep the paving clean without it, I have one of the patio attachments which is quite good. But that's pretty much all the thing gets used for, twice a year usually (droughts permitting). As per above, a hose a sponge is good enough for the cars.
 Pressure Washers - Cliff Pope
Great if the car is really caked in mud, as in off-road motoring. You can slice the mud off in sheets like using a lazer cutter.
They need great care not to do damage. The pressure will rip trim away, and a full head-on concentrated jet will mark paintwork or tyres.

It's quite easy to think you have done a good job, and then when it dries realise you have merely etched squiggly writing all over the car by blasting away selective layers of polish, laquer or even paint.

I have made my own modified attachment consisting of a lance with a hook on the end like a hockey stick, for doing under sills and inside the wheel arch lip. But apart from that it's a tool I could do without.
 Pressure Washers - crocks
I've got a powerful (and quite expensive) Karcher with a large patio-cleaner attachment. It is ideal for paved ares but only gets used about once a year.

I did use it once on the car but was nervous of using the full power and decided a normal hose did the job just as well. I have a lot of pressure on the water mains but if I didn't I would try the Karcher with the wick turned down.

On a really muddy mountain bike I would use it but take great care to avoid directing the jet at any of the bearings. And lubricate the bearings and cables straight afterwards.

How about getting the cheapest,smallest Karcher you can find and see how you get on with it?

www.amazon.co.uk/K%C3%A4rcher-Compact-Air-Cooled-Pressure-Washer/dp/B009QX8AOA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_diy_4

The patio-cleaner on that won't be much good but the rest will allow you to experiment.
Mixed reviews then? Sounds like it might be better to spend the money on paying my son to wash the cars / bikes and buying my wife a stiff broom to scrub the patio ?

I have managed in the past to convince him that £2.50 an hour is similar to that which is earned by those who enjoy the very best incomes and that I aspire myself to £1.50 so at his age £1.00 an hour is more than generous...

:-)
 Pressure Washers - mikeyb
I bought a cheapish karcher at least 8 years old. Only use it on the car if its got really muddy, and it does a good job in the wheel arches.

Main use for us is on the paving and decking where it does a pretty good job.

I let the kids clean mrs b's car, but they are banned from mine after I saw the sponge being dropped on the floor various times......
 Pressure Washers - Roger.
I have a Nilfisk pressure washer, bought for little money from Amazon last year, which I will soon be using to clean the drive & patio - a job it does very well. My neighbour borrowed it to clean his decking, again a job it does well.
I've washed the car with it a couple of times, using a separately purchased car cleaning nozzle, which produces a much more gentle splay.
To tell the truth it's less faff to use a bucket, sponge and hose to clean our little motor and nothing beats a hand job!
I had, of course, a hot washer when I had the garage and that type of machine is in a different league to a domestic machine.
I would think the moderate investment needed for a domestic pressure washer is worth it if you have a concrete or slabbed drive or patio to clean; otherwise it's difficult to justify for normal car cleaning.
 Pressure Washers - No FM2R
They're only really useful on a vehicle if you're trying to get off tons of mud or similar, They actually don't do a very good job of cleaning normal dirt from a car. Hose, or sponge and bucket are both better.

They are brilliant for anywhere you have moss or other green stuff especially on patios. They're also good for cleaning decks and removing slippery, slimey stuff.

They're not good on anything delicate - older brickwork, mortar, gaps between slabs etc. etc.

Clearly though, as a man, you should own a chain saw and a pressure washer. This is not related to need or usefulness, its is related to being a boy.
 Pressure Washers - Zero

>> Clearly though, as a man, you should own a chain saw and a pressure washer.
>> This is not related to need or usefulness, its is related to being a boy.

They day they make noisy smokey petrol powered pressure washers I agree with you. Till then its just the chain saw.
www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/search/filter/petrol-diesel-driven-power-washers/type/any/module/shopcategory/page/1

Stick with me, Grasshopper.
 Pressure Washers - Zero
Well there you are Humph, your OP answered, how can you turn one of those down?
Indeed ! However, I have a confession for which I humbly beg forgiveness...

I've been meaning to admit to this for some time but it's hard you know, phew, but anyway, here goes...

I, er, um, have an electric lawn mower. There, I've said it.

It's not my fault honestly, I had a petrol one of course but it broke and I, well, I bought an electric one.

I think, on reflection, I'd better get that part of my life sorted first.

Please forgive me, I know I've done wrong...
An electric lawnmower.......

really......

Then may I suggest that a few of these may suit both you and your garden very well.

www.gardensite.co.uk/Fairies_and_Garden_Gnomes_Ornaments/
 Pressure Washers - Dog
I should imagine this is more up Humphreys street: hoffmania.blogspot.co.uk/x-gnomes.jpg
Nah, not really, don't do little fat ugly birds.
 Pressure Washers - legacylad
I've had a Stihl, model RE 126K, for several years. Fantastic piece of kit. When I used to be 'in trade' I would clean my van with the fan spray 3 or 4 times a week. It was used as a mobile warehouse and I thought that a clean, sign written van reflected well on one's business.
I use it on the BM and, to date, no bits of trim have fallen off, and water ingress through the soft top is miniscule.
I also use it twice yearly on my Indian flagged patios, which, being in wet Ribblesdale soon lose their lovely colours. I also use it on several friends patios, drives, and even help a demolition friend out on occasion for small commercial work. The only downside is the thermal cut out after some 4 hours continuous use, but I can work around the 30 mins it needs to cool down! A doddle to set up. Less than 3 mins to connect to the hose reel, turn on the water, connect to a 30m extension cable (if required), snap on the Hozelock water supply to the pressure washer, screw in the 8.3 metre hose (with ptfe tape to elininate any leaks) to the lance and off you go. The nozzle attachment for patio cleaning is the real business. Not cheap, but worth every penny. Im even thinking of getting a larger model because now I only work 3/4 days a week more & more folks want me to clean their patios & drives via word of mouth. Gotta take care with pointing between stone flags though!
Last year in the States I had a large job to do at my friends. The local All Star rentals in Placerville had never heard of an electrical powered pressure washer. The petrol jobby was a beast.
Highly recommended.
Good stuff LL ! I quite like the idea of being a full time drive / patio cleaner and if you had a petrol pressure washer you'd really look like you were serious. It might even be better than my lumberjack aspirations. You'd even be able to claim the tax back on your wellies too so what's not to like?

:-)
 Pressure Washers - MD
I won one a few months ago from one of our local suppliers. good make, but as I sit here eating my porridge the name escapes me. £50.00 should do it Sir + the carrier charge. It needs to go as I already have one.
Thanks Martin, but I think this lot have put me off the idea now !
 Pressure Washers - MD
>> Thanks Martin, but I think this lot have put me off the idea now !
>>
Swines. OK. £48.50.
 Pressure Washers - Zero
Martin, he means he is not man enough to handle it. And he fancied himself as a Lumberjack, he must be 'avin a Giraffe.
 Pressure Washers - MD
He's a Lumberjack and he's OK
Bucket and Sponge is the only way!
>>don't do little fat ugly birds

There's three adjectives there; which ones trouble you?
Items 2 and 3 in particular but to be picky, big doesn't cut it for me either.
I quite like 1), don't do 2) and think there are very few 3) in the world anyway. ("very few" does not equal "none")

Fortunately I've managed to find various female partners in my life who are a great deal less discerning than I am.
South America is a hellish place to be as a young single bloke on a European salary eh? Almost nothing to do really as I recall...

Its a struggle Hump, really a struggle. But as you know, someone has got to do it.

Trouble is, I started out doing it as a young single bloke, but these days I'm just a bloke.
 Pressure Washers - Robbie34
I have a Nifisk recommended on here a few years ago. It's brilliant for cleaning the car using Snow Foam with their lance. No need to sponge the car. Spray the dry car with Snow Foam and leave for a few minutes. Rinse off and the car is sparkling. I then use a wax wash using the Snow Foam lance and rinse again. Leather off and the car is brilliant.
 Pressure Washers - legacylad
One of our customers where I work part-time trains lumberjacks. And a colleague is an ex LDNP forestry worker.
Would you like a menage a trois?

Patio cleaning aint all its cracked up to be. Thank goodness its only one day a week during peak season. R4/R2 is a godsend.
 Pressure Washers - BobbyG
I still use my K'Archer lookalike pressure washer that I got from Aldi or Lidl a few years back.
Use the patio attachment as well but talking of that - anyone any idea where to buy more of the wee spray nozzles that are on the patio cleaners?
 Pressure Washers - crocks
Karcher spares here, but not cheap!

www.espares.co.uk/part/pressure-washers/karcher/p/1315/877/0/0/659766/t-racer-grey-nozzle-kit.html
 Pressure Washers - Ted

Why on earth would you want to spray wee, Bobby ?

Ted
 Pressure Washers - henry k
>>worth it if you have a concrete or slabbed drive or patio to clean;
>>
>> They are brilliant for anywhere you have moss or other green stuff especially on patios.
>>
>> They're not good on anything delicate - older brickwork, mortar, gaps between slabs etc. etc.
>>
My patio is mostly North facing or shaded. In previous years it was a long handled scrubber brush and a lot of effort.
Then I got a Karcher. Mutch less effort but it has removed the top surface of some of the riven type slabs (from a well know maker) so just beware of this. As well as the green sludge I get a fine sand washed from the slabs not the mortar
 Pressure Washers - Cliff Pope

>>
>> Clearly though, as a man, you should own a chain saw and a pressure washer.
>> This is not related to need or usefulness, its is related to being a boy.
>>

And an angle grinder.
 Pressure Washers - Fullchat
And a 9" one at that.
 Pressure Washers - Dog
Esme Path: flic.kr/p/eiLuz2

Yule can see the patio area to the left which was so green in places due to all the blimmin rain last year,
the overhanging green things that I should really cut back, don't elp.

The lumphs of granite were laid down about 9 years ago and were covered in Stirling Moss in places,
some peeps like that, I don't, so I nuked it.

The nice fing about granite is it comes in all different colours, my favourite is pink granite, s'quite rare though.

Pressure washers rule OK!
This thread created a stir in the 'man toy' department as my Karcher 695 circa 1991 has been showing signs of distress in that it keeps going when releasing the trigger and also has some leaks. It is one of the early ones, quite heavy, that sits on the ground with a carry handle on the top. Has to be dragged out of the garage and connected to water and mains.
Have always been attracted to the self contained jobbies on wheels with the attachments on board.
Then someone mentioned Stihl and the man maths kicked into action.
Having calmed down I remember all those Karcher attachments I have which would need replacing.
Yesterday I set too and pulled the thing apart. Replaced a load of o rings and applied some grease. The lance was having none of it and a replacement was obtained. Trouble with Karcher is that their bits are on the dear side to say the least. Sourced a foam maker as well to assist with the car washing.
All now working as it should with no leaks. So for the time being I'm stuck with it :(

PS. If anyone has one of these kicking about and destined for the tip I'm looking for the pressure adjusting valve as mine is not quite right. Google is not helping due to the age of the machine.
Last edited by: Fullchat on Tue 21 May 13 at 19:38
 Pressure Washers - MD
Do you refer to your own Pressure Adjusting valve FC or to the one on the Machine?
Mine has long since blown a gasket. Its the on the machine. Did you get the 'Man Bag' sorted? :)
 Pressure Washers - Stuartli
I have a Challenge upright type bought from Argos some years ago for £50 - the price also included one of the firm's small portable vacuum cleaners.

I use it virtually on a continuous basis for several hours when it's brought out to clean a large front of the house flagged area, plus the side entry and the rear garden flagstones. It has never missed a beat, despite being what I thought at the time was a "cheapo" buy.

This is probably today's equivalent:

www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/7420274.htm

although not currently in stock.
Latest Forum Posts