Non-motoring > Another dog walker trampled by cows Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Manatee Replies: 21

Another dog walker trampled by cows - Manatee
goo.gl/wEqTY

Sadly, fatal. I don't recall any of these incidents where there wasn't a dog present.
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - Dog
The missus came with me on a walk o'er the moor on Saturday, in an isolated area, we entered an enclosure where there were moorland cattle, but I know from experience to be on-guard!

I kept Mutley on the lead and walked well away from the cattle, keeping near the fence, in case we had to do a runner after letting Mutley orf the lead to distract the cows, if need be.
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - Cliff Pope
>> letting Mutley orf the
>> lead to distract the cows, if need be.
>>
>>

That is said to be the common factor in these cases - dog on a lead, which appears to enrage the cows.

Is the argument for letting it go that they trample the dog instead and you can escape, or that they all charge off after the dog which easily outruns them?
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - Zero
the key here is dog on the lead

The cows are going for the dog, if the dog were free it could run away faster than the cows can chase it. If you don't have your dog on the lead, everyone is able to do whats required to be not trampled by the cows. Tie yourself to the dog and you are a dead 'un.
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - Runfer D'Hills
Is it particular types of cows which dislike dogs? Only ask because there's a route I often take with our dog which involves crossing a field which sometimes has cows in it. I always ( seemingly naively ) put his lead on when we do so he doesn't run about and bother them. They just ignore us.

However, my dog does look a bit like a sheep so maybe that's it !
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - CGNorwich
"Is it particular types of cows which dislike dogs? "

Ones with calves.

As a general rule milking breeds are more aggressive than beef cattle. Jersey cattle are notoriously aggressive. Never enter a field with a Jersey bull! The big Highland cattle with the long horns on the other hand are docile beasts.
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - BiggerBadderDave
"everyone is able to do whats required to be not trampled by the cows"

Stay well back when my MIL charges from her sitting chair to the fridge.
We lived on Bodmin Moor from when Milo was 8 weeks old until he was 6 years old, he used to come walking with me in some very isolated high moorland areas, he has chased sheep, cows, and moorland ponies, the ponies used to try and kick him , but he was too cute for them.

Sure, I shouldn't have let him do that, but then I shouldn't have done a lot of things in my life, no arm done though.
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - madf
The field next to our house has young heifers fattened up for market every year from May to September. They are frisky to put it mildly.

Elderly gent was gored picking mushrooms about 15 years ago - despite being warned. Ambulance in our yard - we had to partially dismantle barbed wire fence to allow injured man to be carried out on a stretcher.. broken leg iirc.

They may look docile but 20 heifers running weigh a LOT - at least 15 tonnes - so arguing with them is foolish.

No-one walks through the field with dogs: the heifers chase them...

On the other hand they are very curious and happily lick my hands over the fence. Nice sweet smelling breath.
Last edited by: madf on Tue 14 May 13 at 16:56
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - Pat
>>On the other hand they are very curious and happily lick my hands over the fence. Nice sweet smelling breath. <<

Happy memories...and don't they love it when first let out on grass after the winter!

Pat
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - madf
>> >>On the other hand they are very curious and happily lick my hands over the
>> fence. Nice sweet smelling breath. <<
>>
>> Happy memories...and don't they love it when first let out on grass after the winter!
>>
>> Pat
>>

Yes: like little kids going to play..
>>Sure, I shouldn't have let him do that, but then I shouldn't have done a lot of things in my life, no arm done though.

I'm sure you know farmers mostly take a very dim view of dogs worrying livestock on agricultural land, and are well aware that they can legally shoot any dog that does.

>>he has chased sheep, cows, and moorland ponies

Did any of them look worried?
>>I'm sure you know farmers mostly take a very dim view of dogs worrying livestock on agricultural land, and are well aware that they can legally shoot any dog that does

He was within a whisker of being shot in Gorran Haven 8 year ago, but I used my cockney charm on the farmer.

Did any of them look worried?

I wouldn't have let him harm any animal, and anyway, they only end up being slaughtered, and eaten by you lot.

:}
Last edited by: Dog on Tue 14 May 13 at 17:11
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - Roger.
Proof - dogs are dangerous ;-)
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - Dave
Letting the cows out in spring is a big thing here (Sweden). The local farms advertise it in the local rag, and lay on a bit of a spread. A reported 2000 visitors turned up at one of them.

The kids get to pet the calves and have a look around the farm, all refreshingly free from health and safety rules, it seems.
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - Bromptonaut
I suspect two different issues. One is cow + calf equals defence reaction. The other is excitable heifers or bullocks out in the field, particularly at this time of year.

Was watching some while out on the bike on Saturday - just running round a field.

A couple of summers ago we were on a walk with some friends and crossed a very large field with about 40 bullocks in it. Two of us were a bit behind the others, and when we got into the middle of the field the bullocks, who had so far ignored us all, started to walk from the far corner towards us. The they started trotting, then galloping in a scene from Rawhide after the blackhats have started a stampede, really shifting.

It was too far to run for the stile, so we just turned to look at them at waited, ready to jump. I took my waterproof off to do a bit of matadoring with if necessary. Quite scared to be honest.

They just thundered up, then braked violently to a halt about ten feet away and looked at us. We told them they were very nice chaps, then turned and steadily walked on. I think they followed us for a while then went back to whatever they were doing.
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - bathtub tom
I've always found that walking towards cattle, waving your arms and shouting moves them away.

Farmer friend suggested a young springer I had was released into a small field with some ewes and lambs in it. The ewes promptly chased it out. Ever been butted by a sheep, they've got damn, hard heads?
Pal of mine had a ram that would knock you over if you turned your back on it. That had a couple of goes at his dog too, when it (the dog) was a bit old and feeble.
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - Runfer D'Hills
I've been butted by a ram. That hurt more than I'd have imagined. I've been kicked by a horse many times and that hurts about as much as you'd expect. Actually possibly a bit more.

When I was a child our garden backed onto a farm and a friend lived in the farmhouse so the shortcut to his house was across one of his dad's fields in which there were often cattle. My dog was always trotting along with me and we never had any bother. The thing about standing like a scarecrow facing them is what I was always told. Seems to work.
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - legacylad
There is a circular walk I regularly take up on to Malham Moor with my dog. Unfortunately, one large field often has cattle in it and there is no way round.I always pick up my Lakeland and carry him. He squiirms like heck but it is so much safer than letting him run loose. If I had a large dog that particular walking route would be off limits for us.
Sheep don't bother him. Actually, in a strange way, they do. He has a ball fixation and so long as he has a tennis ball in his mouth, or is chasing one, never gives them a second glance. Last week, this is true and I have never seen it before, two lambs ran up to him and he froze whilst they sniffed him. Mother ewe then followed, put her nose on him for 15 seconds, then all three sauntered off.He's a funny little ginger dog is my Benji!
 Another dog walker trampled by cows - Armel Coussine
What a nice dog legacy. Although quite fierce animals can become gentler in contact with the young of any species. Quite stern cats for example will take abuse from babies that they wouldn't tolerate from an older child.

Looking at this thread, I've been imagining the reactions of farmers I have known over the years. I can't help feeling that some of their trigger fingers are itching at the thought of all these grockles carryin foot and mouth onto their land and flappin their arms at the pregnant heifers instead of takin the proper paaaath round by the cemetery and through that there Greek's vegetable gaaarden...

And with dogs tooo!
Last edited by: VxFan on Thu 6 Jun 13 at 01:14
Latest Forum Posts