Non-motoring > 4 Day breaks! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: midlifecrisis Replies: 23

4 Day breaks! - midlifecrisis
For many reasons, we've decided not to have a 'big' holiday this year, but I still like to take the kids and 'er indoors for a short break n the UK. A 4 day midweek would be ideal, but a net searches only brings up prices that are more expensive than going abroad.

Any suggestions welcomed (and links to actual offers would be very helpful)
 4 Day breaks! - RattleandSmoke
Lots of holiday parks will rent out a carravan for around £200-£300 A week. Most B&Bs are only around £40 a night per room which could work out very cheap. Or if you dare there is camping, the place we sometimes go to is only £6 a night per tent.

What part of the country are you looking at?
 4 Day breaks! - Runfer D'Hills
I was going to suggest camping too. Or how about a canal boat ? Never done that but it looks relaxing. There's a canal behind our house and there are plenty of astonishingly sane looking people apparently happily floating by on a regular basis. Maybe they are all drunk of course.
 4 Day breaks! - Fenlander
Sadly narrowboats are a lot of money even compared with a nice cottage. 4 nights about £900 on a steel barge (a week £1200) for example when you'd get a very nice cottage in Scotland for £750 for the week.
No wonder they drink !
 4 Day breaks! - Fenlander
Yep an idea of wnere in the UK and what type of holiday would help.

Cousin has a holiday cottage in The Cotswolds and a 3/4 night break is charged at 70%-80% of the full weekly rate so it makes the shorter break poor value. She, in common with many weekly based holiday venues, have to charge like this as to them 4 nights gives them the same costs/workload as 7 nights.

Many hotels will do a deal on 4 nights for a family (2 rooms I guess?) if they have availability nearer the date.
 4 Day breaks! - Bellboy
only way i can see is to book something like travelodge or premier in good time and use it as a base for travels
its not ideal though with children
i also spent all saturday night looking for a good deal in wales this july and failed
all the good stuff (cheap) has gone
cheaper to go abroad again as you say
shame
 4 Day breaks! - CGNorwich

You should be able to find something here

www.lastminute.com/site/deals/goodstuff/uk.html
 4 Day breaks! - bathtub tom
Shearings do self-drive breaks. I've used them as a cheap source of accommodation.
 4 Day breaks! - Bellboy
>> Shearings do self-drive breaks. I've used them as a cheap source of accommodation.
>>
>> good idea
 4 Day breaks! - midlifecrisis
Thanks for the suggestions so far. I looked at river/canal holidays, but they are super expensive! As for camping...'er indoors would recoil in horror!
 4 Day breaks! - RattleandSmoke
With the right tent and the proper blow up beds and sleeping bags camping can be very comfortable. I haven't been for a couple of years though because girls have ended up in the group of lads and its a no no :(. We are working on it though!

A static carravan is still probably the best bet, I know there is a lot of parks that rent them out in North Wales but don't really know for the rest of country.

Travelodges etc can be ok but you often get noisy people waking you up at 3:00am and I wouldn't really trust it with kids.

You may well be able to get a good offer on a real hotel though.

I think you need to narrow down the areas you want to visit and then work from there.
 4 Day breaks! - rtj70
A cottage or lodge in the lake district? Mid week 4 day break is cheap but probably not in the school holiday period.

e.g.

southlakelandparks.msgfocus.com/q/1cU3KL0duS0w/wv
Last edited by: rtj70 on Tue 25 May 10 at 20:48
 4 Day breaks! - Badwolf
I can heartily recommend www.lanefarmcottages.co.uk

Lovely cottages, friendly owners and a great location.
 4 Day breaks! - Stuu
Hoseasons do us proud every year.
www.peebleshydro.co.uk/

Try this MLC. Midweek I don't think it'd be too deadly on price. Beautiful area too.
 4 Day breaks! - Bromptonaut
Youth hostels?
 4 Day breaks! - Dog
How's about hiring a cabin cruiser on the upper reaches of the Thames.
 4 Day breaks! - swiss tony
A friend of mine has a holiday home in Cornwall, Im not sure of the price, but if your interested get one of the mods to pass you my Email, and Ill put you in touch.....
 4 Day breaks! - R.P.
travelzoo.com - cheap mobile homes in West Wales.
 4 Day breaks! - Zero
We take a 1 week break in the UK every year. We take the dog, so we book a cottage, from the various cottage letting web site. This year its to be northumberland. Last year was Suffolk. We have done The Pembroke coast, Devon (twice) the lakes, cornwall, Jersey, Guernsey, North Yorks..

All the cottages have been great, and it works out relatively cheaply as you can do all your own self catering (BBQ mainly).

This year its gonna be tough to get a place. Currency, air strikes, greek riots, and ash problems have decimated the Foreign travel market and people are looking to home.
 4 Day breaks! - CGNorwich
I agree that their is a bigger demand this year for decent self catering accomodation in the UK. For that reason it can be worth taking a look at a cottage in Normandy or Brittany. Despite the devaluation of the pound food is no dearer in France and wine is certainly cheaper. Accomodation is certainly cheaper than say Cornwall or Devon.
 4 Day breaks! - BiggerBadderDave
"We take a 1 week break in the UK every year... This year its gonna be tough to get a place."

How about Bridlington? Don't forget the tartan blanket and the knotted hanky...
 4 Day breaks! - helicopter
Following on from Zeros suggestion of Northumberland I can recommend this place - you can opt for B & B or renting a cottage.

www.cookandbarkerinn.co.uk/tariffsoffers.aspx

I stayed overnight there with SWMBO last week and I can recommend both the food and accommodation.
Latest Forum Posts