Non-motoring > Liverpool - Battle of Atlantic 70th Celebrations Miscellaneous
Thread Author: rtj70 Replies: 13

Liverpool - Battle of Atlantic 70th Celebrations - rtj70
Just a note to those without anything to do and near enough, but Liverpool have a celebration of the 70th anniversary of the Battle of the Atlantic on. We were planning on going to Liverpool today anyway but then found out this was on. Very enjoyable.

Even saw two Spitfires fly over us - not expected. Glad we went overall. And lots of people were there. Weather not likely to be as good on Monday.
I now think one of the 'Spitfires' was a Hurricane. They look similar to me - but I know the Spitfire was the more advanced plane and the Hurricane probably made more of a difference overall.

I wonder if these will appear again tomorrow?
 Liverpool - Battle of Atlantic 70th Celebrations - sooty123
You could find out where they came from, spotters forum will no doubt know. If it's bbmf ring and ask them.
 Liverpool - Battle of Atlantic 70th Celebrations - Londoner
From the BBC website.

"Winston Churchill once wrote that, '... the only thing that ever really frightened me during the war was the U-boat peril'."

www.bbc.co.uk/history/worldwars/wwtwo/battle_atlantic_01.shtml
Something I believed was a big game changer was cracking the Enigma code. And no doubt it was. But RADAR on planes might have played a part?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22544255

It was only just over a year ago that a post on here got me to read a book on the second world war (Churchill's Wizards?). And when Paul Allen (ex Microsoft) bought a V2 rocket... you had another tale of the UK passing tales of overshooting London for the V2's.
 Liverpool - Battle of Atlantic 70th Celebrations - Alastairw
It was a better show in 1993. There was a proper air display/flypast on the Sunday as I recall, though I had watched the Friday rehearsals from my riverfront office. Wouldn't be possible today though - the view has been blocked by new development.
>> had watched the Friday rehearsals from my riverfront office

What, on the Mersey as it goes through Stockport :-) You've got good eyesight ;-)
Twenty years ago I worked in Liverpool.
 Liverpool - Battle of Atlantic 70th Celebrations - Zero
20 years ago, no-one worked in Liverpool.
 Liverpool - Battle of Atlantic 70th Celebrations - BiggerBadderDave
"20 years ago, no-one worked in Liverpool."

20 years ago I met one and married it.
It certainly felt like I was the only one working sometimes. I suspect I was also the only person paying Poll Tax. Happy days :(
>> It certainly felt like I was the only one working sometimes. I suspect I was
>> also the only person paying Poll Tax. Happy days :(
>>
[scouse] calm down! calm down! [/scouse]
 Liverpool - Battle of Atlantic 70th Celebrations - Zero
>> Something I believed was a big game changer was cracking the Enigma code. And no
>> doubt it was. But RADAR on planes might have played a part?
>>
>> www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-22544255
>>
>> It was only just over a year ago that a post on here got me
>> to read a book on the second world war (Churchill's Wizards?). And when Paul Allen
>> (ex Microsoft) bought a V2 rocket... you had another tale of the UK passing tales
>> of overshooting London for the V2's.

That would be V1's.
>> That would be V1's.
>>
Yes. A summary of these deception operations is here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/V-1_flying_bomb#Deception

Different tactics were used for the V2 menace.
"The destruction of central London was so severe that the government took the decision to use false information to get the Germans to change their target. German intelligence was fed the information that to escape the V2 attacks, the government had moved its headquarters to Dulwich in south-east London. This was not true but it had the desired effect. The Germans changed the direction of their V2 attacks to this area of London and central London received far fewer hits. "

www.historylearningsite.co.uk/v2.htm

Pity they chose Dulwich. Slough would have been a "win-win".
Latest Forum Posts