Non-motoring > direct debit warning Tax / Insurance / Warranties
Thread Author: Bellboy Replies: 8

direct debit warning - Bellboy
now that we own half the banks and the service is still pathetic wife decided to change from one to another
unfortunately in the process our direct debit for our house insurance has gone missing
they sent a letter dated 18th and it came today to say if we dont ring them by yesterday we are uninsured
nice
ive now gone round turning everything off that might burn the house down till i can contact them in the morning
wouldnt mine but they are £150 dearer than any one else but i wasnt allowed to cancel the blood suckers last year
 direct debit warning - bathtub tom
I've just renewed mine and made it clear I didn't want any unsolicited calls or junk mail - they assured me I wouldn't receive any.

Half-an-hour later I receive a 'welcoming' call, wanting to know why I didn't include the home breakdown cover and aggressively asking what I'd do if a pipe burst in the middle of the night!

Now the paperwork's arrived, I see I've 'agreed' to have automatic renewal. 'sfunny they didn't mention it at the time. I feel another telephone rant coming on.
 direct debit warning - RattleandSmoke
Its amazing with my car insurance how many times I have been warned to take out break down cover. Even telling them I am in both the RAC (took it out last June) and the AA (came free with the car) didn't shut them up.

Everytime I phone any insurance or finance company for about a customer service issue I always get tried to sell something (erm poor english).

Bellboy just make sure you're Vectra is parked a mile away from your house and you will be fine :).
 direct debit warning - Bigtee
Im sick and tired of answering the home phone with some walley trying to sell me loans, insurance, breakdown cover,holiday insurance, pet cover, it's almost every day i have caller display and getting to know some regular numbers so stop answering.

The home insurance i have is with Sheilas wheels was £200.00 cheaper than the Halifax! pays to shop around and will do this year when due.
 direct debit warning - Tigger
Beware shopping around!

We're with the telephone preference service and didn't previously get many sales calls. Since we used one of the comparison web sites, we're now getting 4-6 a day. I challenge each caller as to where they got the number. The answer (when I get one) is the comparison sites, even though I explicitly marked the box 'no callers' - I'm told that at least one of the camparison sites simply ignores it.

next time I'll use a fake number, I reckon.
 direct debit warning - Ian (Cape Town)
what does the law say?
Surely they HAVE to tell you where they go the number, under data protection act?
THEN get hold of the 'seller' of the number, and give them hell!
A friend of mine did this - bit of detective work, and got thr home and mobile number of the company's owner. rang him at all times of the day and night complaining that his personal info had been bandied about - and how did HE like it?
 direct debit warning - L'escargot
I've been paying all regular bills by direct debit for yonks and never had any problems whatsoever.
 direct debit warning - Bromptonaut
We had no problem with them until, like the OP, we had to change accounts. In our case it was just a new number with same bank, Santander, following unauthorised access to our savings.

Santander did all the legwork but a number of DD's, mostly annual subscriptions, failed to register the change. A year later I'm still picking up the odd recurrent debit card payment.
 direct debit warning - Bellboy
yes the bank does now reside in spain
took the day off today and went into the big town to sort this
went into our preferred broker and they failed miserably to get us a good deal
went home spent nearly 2 hours on the internet and have now joined the o yes dog and saved £190
went to pickering to go on a steam train to spend my new found wealth and they had a weasel running so came home :-(
Latest Forum Posts