Non-motoring > Thermometers. Digital or Mercury? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 4

Thermometers. Digital or Mercury? - Bigtee
Must say since fitting my multi fuel stove a few months back im paranoid of the room temperature the other half goes by the digital temp gauge i go on feel of the room.

Sadly we have 4x of these things in the house so i put all 4x in the living room the digital ones were all out with one some 2c lower and others about 1-1.3c out, im more tempted to go by the old fashioned liquid thing had for years with the mercury in, what do you use these digital things came off e bay no more than £4.00 each maybe thats why there not so accurate?

The stove packs out some heat when it was chilly and the digital one got to 26c.
 Thermometers. Digital or Mercury? - madf
I have 3 (three!) digital thermometers in my greenhouse. All reading at different height levels..

The thermostat for electric heating - switches off sub 9.5C -is set at shelf level. And I have one at floor level and one in the eaves.

When they were all at the same level - and in the shade - and in the same location - they agreed to +/-1C.

One was Aldi £3.50 and one was part of a rather more expensive like £15.

Surprisingly accurate.

Range on a hot day but cold overnight was 10C floor to 40C in roof whilst shelf was sitting around 25C.

When the weather warms up (?if) the soil levels warm up.
Last edited by: madf on Sun 2 Jun 13 at 13:27
 Thermometers. Digital or Mercury? - L'escargot
>> ........... im more tempted to go by the old fashioned liquid
>> thing had for years with the mercury in, .............

With mercury being so poisonous, I'm surprised that mercury-in-glass thermometers are still available ~ but it appears that they are. uk.rs-online.com/web/p/liquid-in-glass-thermometers/2086438/
 Thermometers. Digital or Mercury? - Bigtee
Thanks for the replys, i checked them last night all were different and sitting next to each other on the shelf!!

Dustbin for the lot but not just yet i'm going to try the old style next and see what that does.

Thermometers. Digital or Mercury? - Slidingpillar
My good one has got graduations to 0.2 of a degree centigrade. Probably accurate and very expensive knowing where I got it.
Latest Forum Posts