Non-motoring > Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Meldrew Replies: 23

Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! - Meldrew
There are some good matches and Nadal v Dokovich was a cracker but why does it take 11 officials plus 6 ball persons to run the show! That and grunting/screaming noises and why do they have to wipe their faces between points? Footballers of all persuasions seem to manage 40+ minutes each way without the need to towel off so much!
 Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! - R.P.
All that grunting crap gets on my wick - guess its some sort of tactic. Mind you not fair to compare them to footballers, these are intelligent athletes and some of the games are actually played for hours in very hot conditions. Not my favourite pastime - only when there's a Brit playing.
 Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! - Runfer D'Hills
I never got the hang of tennis. To my regret actually. It does look like it might be a pleasing way to spend an hour or two in the sunshine. I did try to learn but I suspect that because, by the time I tried it, I was already playing squash regularly and I was prone to hitting the tennis ball in completely the wrong way. Or of course it might be that I was always going to be rubbish. I'll console myself with the first version anyway.

There were tennis courts at school, but for some reason I never seemed to get around to it then. There were also cricket pitches but I must admit to having avoided them rather more deliberately.
 Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! - Robin O'Reliant
I started to play tennis at school, but some joker kept putting a net across the middle of the pitch and the ball kept getting tangled in it.
 Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! - helicopter
One of the labourers is a friend and umpire .....and managed to get SWMBO and I tickets to middle Saturday at Wimbledon this year....

I have never been there before but have watched it on TV since the 60's ,,,,,anyone remember Maria Bueno, Vijay Amritraj and Manuel Santana.....
Last edited by: helicopter on Sat 15 Jun 13 at 17:51
Never mind the men - what about Gorgeous Gussie Moran? www.bostonglobe.com/rf/image_r/Boston/2011-2020/2013/01/19/BostonGlobe.com/Obits/Images/tennisobit.r.jpg
Apologies - Maria Bueno was very much a woman!
Last edited by: Meldrew on Sat 15 Jun 13 at 18:37
Now watching the Queen's Club Final. Why do players who are going to throw the ball in the air and hit it with their racquet need to bounce it on the ground several times before they serve? Some sort of ritual I suppose?
 Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! - Runfer D'Hills
Could testing the amount of bounce or hardness in the ball? Or trying to get some temperature into it. I know nothing about tennis but with a squash ball you want it warm so it bounces predictably. Or it could indeed just be an idiosyncrasy. Widne ken !
 Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! - Armel Coussine
>> Gorgeous Gussie Moran

Not that gorgeous in herself I always thought, but the lace-edged knickers got the hacks very worked up.
 Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! - Old Navy
And a bit expensive. This years TV tennis coverage has cost me a new TV. Our 40" tube lit LCD TV was six years old and the fluorescent tubes were showing signs of wear. We now have a 46" (the same overall case size) LED backlit TV. The improvement is impressive.
Last edited by: Old Navy on Sun 16 Jun 13 at 17:01
 Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! - WillDeBeest
... some joker kept putting a net across the middle of the pitch...

I tried it once at school. Had no trouble with the net in the middle being too high; my problem was that the nets around the outside weren't high enough. Bit silly when the court is next to the school pool. We went on till we ran out of balls and never tried again.
 Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! - FocalPoint
"...not fair to compare them to footballers, these are intelligent athletes..."

Footballers intelligent compared with tennis-players?

You must be joking.

Oh... I may have misunderstood.
Last edited by: FocalPoint on Sun 16 Jun 13 at 17:57

>> Footballers intelligent compared with tennis-players?

>> You must be joking.

Why should there be any discernible difference in 'intelligence' between tennis and football players? I'd be very surprised if there was one, unless the measurement of 'intelligence' favoured people of middle-class background.
"...unless the measurement of 'intelligence' favoured people of middle-class background."

Well, there's a can of worms, AC. All clear-thinking liberals would deny any such link.
 Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! - Dutchie
I enjoyed the match watching Andy Murray today.We have been watching tennis for more than fourty years.Wimbledon the best event.

I think Andy has a good change this year at Wimbledon,he is stronger and more determent at only twenty six starting to reach his peak.

Nadal my other favourite on form this year.
 Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! - Manatee
>> "...unless the measurement of 'intelligence' favoured people of middle-class background."
>>
>> Well, there's a can of worms, AC. All clear-thinking liberals would deny any such link.
>>

The important word there is measurement, ie method of, which probably does favour the better educated.

>> The important word there is measurement, ie method of

Thank you Manatee... is it possible that FP suspected me of unclear, illiberal class prejudice? Surely not... but I sometimes misunderstand posts so I suppose anyone can.
"... is it possible that FP suspected me of unclear, illiberal class prejudice?"

I was being mischievous.

However, despite having mostly liberal views, I am not at all convinced that actual or potential intelligence, being an inherited trait, is equally distributed across all social groups, if we assume there is some correlation between intelligence and type of job. As a retired teacher, though, I am very keen on the idea that children's potential should be developed as far as possible and I support the idea of social mobility.
I'm tremendously bigoted and supercilious about professional ball players as a category actually. They usually seem a bit dumb to me. But their brains are in their hands and feet. Mine are in my head.
 Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! - Roger.
Rugby Union players are getting more chavvish, more's the pity.
Lots of horrid tattoos and weird hairstyles. Example of this below"
tinyurl.com/kr4d7m3
All the he man stubble and tattoos and then a sweet little girlie plait to round it off! Mixed messages!
 Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! - helicopter
Well SWMBO and I went to Wimbledon on Saturday and what a brilliant day out we had....

We arrived just as the gates opened at 10 30 am and wandered round to take in the atmosphere until play started at 11 30 on outside courts and watched Montana ( 22 seed ) against de Scheppe on court 12 .......

During the day we managed to ...

Drink Pimms and sample the great friendly atmosphere on Murray Mound ( Henman Hill ) £7.50 a glass meant only one each !!

Had afternoon tea in the officials buttery as guests of my friend including obligatory strawberries and cream (delicious and a fair portion) .....

......and see some great tennis including both world number ones, Djokovich and Serena Williams , who both won fairly easily in straight sets . We stayed until the end of play ( under the closed roof at around 9 30 pm).....

We also had great fun with binoculars trying to spot who the celebs were in the Royal Box

Fabulous atmosphere in there .. Mexican waves , friendly people , exceptionally well organised ... just a great day out.

....and got back home at 1130 pm exhausted but elated.

Last edited by: helicopter on Mon 1 Jul 13 at 11:34
 Tennis - a Bit Labour Intensive! - Cliff Pope
>>and I support the idea of social mobility.
>>

But if as you say intelligence is an inherited trait, then upward social mobility will be limited by a person's inheritance from the pool of the class he originated from.

So everyone's potential upward mobility is necessarily limited, and the Peter Principle will ensure that all jobs are performed by people who are nearly incapable of doing them.
The way to get talented people to perform less-than-top-level jobs is therefore to restrict social mobility.

:)
Last edited by: Cliff Pope on Mon 1 Jul 13 at 13:09
Latest Forum Posts