Non-motoring > Accents Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 13

Accents - Ambo
How can I insert accents on this site please? Some posters use them but I can't find any command to help.
 Accents - Armel Coussine
I can't remember whether it's part of Word, but I have an icon for 'character viewer' and 'keyboard viewer'. With character viewer you can get any sign under the sun, not just accents but everything, mathematical symbols, the lot, hundreds of them.

You click on character viewer, select accented Latin, and there it all is. Sorry not to be more informative but I'm too old to speak computer lingo. Try Help and ask it for special characters.
 Accents - WillDeBeest
Depends what you're typing on. If it's an iThing like this one, yøû çáñ sīmplŷ hœld dòŵn the letter key until the full range of options appears.

A PC is harder. The acute accent can be added by using the AltGr key in conjunction with, say, e to give é. The others can be accessed from charmap, or directly if you know their ASCII codes (I don't), but I tend to type what I want into Word, let that recognize my source language and correct the accents for me, then copy and paste into my browser.
 Accents - TeeCee
Start / Accessories / System Tools / Character Map.

Select and copy. Note the ALT code given on selection for any you use regularly. Holding down ALT while bashing that number out on the numeric keypad will reproduce it.
 Accents - L'escargot
>> Start / Accessories / System Tools / Character Map.

I've got Character Map as an icon on my desktop ~ although for the life of me I can't remember how I got it there.
 Accents - Roger.
>> >> Start / Accessories / System Tools / Character Map.
>>
>> I've got Character Map as an icon on my desktop ~ although for the life
>> of me I can't remember how I got it there.

Right click on it in programs/accessories etc. and choose from the "send to" options: Desktop.
You can then drag & drop it to the task bar.
 Accents - Zero
>> How can I insert accents on this site please? Some posters use them but I
>> can't find any command to help.

What you want, Geordie or Yokel?
 Accents - TheManWithNoName
Just so long as it isn't a Hyundai Accent.
 Accents - crocks
I keep this website bookmarked and then use the Alt key.
tools.oratory.com/altcodes.html

It might not be the most efficient but I don't use it much.
 Accents - Roger.
Thanks for that link!
 Accents - R.P.
Greetings from Ynys Môn - a mere single keystroke on a Mac - press it down without releasing and bingo all possible accent options are displayed !
 Accents - Cliff Pope
If the option isn't on the forum "Reply" page then it's too much faff to bother opening other programs. A bit like using a dictionary when chatting in the pub - tends to slow the flow.
 Accents - TeeCee
How does key repeat work on those things?
 Accents - Zero
you need to hack it.

But who needs key repeat?
Latest Forum Posts