Non-motoring > Amazon cloudplayer Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Crankcase Replies: 11

Amazon cloudplayer - Crankcase
Not used the cloudplayer before, but as of today their "autorip" service is available in the UK.

What does it mean? If you log into your Amazon account and you've ever bought a CD or vinyl from them, your tracks are available to play for free there, automatically.

I don't buy much, but just logged in and indeed there is a CD I bought in 2000 available to me. I'd forgotten it, played it, and still liked it. I think I've lost the physical one so it's all good.

I think it goes back to 1998.

This aspect of it is free.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Thu 27 Jun 13 at 10:50
 Amazon cloudplayer - rtj70
I assume you can also download the MP3's for use on a device?
You can also download, apparently.

www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_mp3_downloadmobile?nodeId=200918540

I don't know if you can only get a certain number of tracks before you have to pay. As I have a total of only 61 it's unlikely I'm going to hit it to find out.
 Amazon cloudplayer - Alanovich
Great tip, thanks. I've bought a few things from there, they're all now in my library! Bonzer.
Yes it looks like you can download. Only 50 tracks available from CD purchases for me.... the rest are MP3 purchases. But even the ability to re-download them is useful.
Two of the albums on there aren't in my MP3 library. That's because they were in my Golf GTi when it was stolen in 2000 and I didn't buy them again. So time to try out downloading from there.

Now there are some who say ripping a CD to an MP3 is not legal. And I don't have these CDs anymore either.... so this all blurs the legality of this I suppose. Some of the lost CD's I got replacement MP3 from the Internet because I had bought them before.
 Amazon cloudplayer - NortonES2
Thanks for the link! Apparently I have 483 songs in 18 albums - I'd forgotten I'd bought so many. Matthews Southern Comfort on at the moment.
Last edited by: NIL on Thu 27 Jun 13 at 12:40
 Amazon cloudplayer - Focusless
>> Not used the cloudplayer before, but as of today their "autorip" service is available in
>> the UK.

When I first saw that mentioned on the BBC news site, my first thought was why Amazon wanted to get into the funeral business.
 Amazon cloudplayer - R.P.
If they did - "Your order has been dispatched" would have a whole new meaning.
 Amazon cloudplayer - WillDeBeest
45 albums and 621 tracks. Am I in the lead so far?
};---)

Thanks for the tip - 15 or so CDs I'd not bothered to rip that can now be in my travelling collection with the others. Plus the box set of complete Shostakovich quartets that I don't think I've got right through even on CD. Have to feel brave to tackle those.

I wonder - if I order tomorrow's essential new Duckworth Lewis release first thing, can I have the MP3s to download before the CD arrives?
 Amazon cloudplayer - WillDeBeest
Answer: yes. But just for fun - and because the ripping was done for me rather than having to mess about with the iMic - I ordered the LP instead.
Good tip on the LP. Makes it worth considering getting the kit down from the loft again, given that I so much prefer vinyl to CD in sound quality, but also appreciate a digital version for occasional portable use.

What I'd really like to see is the natural extension of this, but I don't think it's going to happen for all sorts of reasons.

That is, I'd like all the DVDS I've bought to be available in the same way.
Last edited by: Crankcase on Mon 1 Jul 13 at 09:23
Latest Forum Posts