Non-motoring > Tipping a minicab driver Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 23

Tipping a minicab driver - L'escargot
I've probably asked a similar question before, but how much would you tip a minicab driver for a £3.50 journey?
 Tipping a minicab driver - helicopter
50p..
 Tipping a minicab driver - Zero
£3.50? what did he do, drive you once round 'spoons car park?

50p
 Tipping a minicab driver - sherlock47
50p - but I would bet that if you offer a fiver he will not have any change!
 Tipping a minicab driver - MD
Why tip? He's only doing a job which presumably he gets paid for.
>> £3.50? what did he do, drive you once round 'spoons car park?

Approximately two miles. This is Lincolnshire not down that London.
 Tipping a minicab driver - Badwolf
I don't automatically tip taxi drivers. If they've driven like a loon, been grumpier than Victor Meldrew or smelt like they've not seen soap for weeks then they get nowt extra. However, if they've been pleasant, safe and courteous then they get roughly 10% of the fare.
>> If they've driven like a loon, been grumpier than
>> Victor Meldrew

Thats a bus!
 Tipping a minicab driver - Badwolf
Oi!!!

:-)
 Tipping a minicab driver - Duncan
I find that many employees in service industries are pleased to receive a tip.

I normally advise them to look both ways before crossing the road.
Tommy Cooper used to be notoriously mean.....

His favourite trick was to say ' have a drink on me ' to the taxi driver as he paid the fare and then slip his hand into the drivers breast pocket........

Driver would hear the rustle of paper, expect a fiver .....and then when he checked find it was a tea bag.....
 Tipping a minicab driver - -
As BW above, if he blasts his horn outside your gaff, drives like an idiot in every pot hole whilst braking sharply and fails to open the door for the ladies then he gets nowt.

I used to work Sat and Sun nights for one of the best taxi companies in Northants, regular clientele it was almost a chauferring service, well presented and look after the customers and the tips were good.

My DiL uses them some 25 years later for regular airport runs and they still work to the same standards, driver knocks on her door, carries her bag to the car and opens the door for her, driven courteously their white MB's and Superbs stand out like a sore thumb on the open road due to perfect road positioning correct signalling and long braking distances whilst still maintaining good rapid progress, she smiply goes to sleep which she can never do with the competition.
 Tipping a minicab driver - Roger.
How annoying is it when a cab driver arrives at a house to collect a fare and then, being too blooming lazy to get out of the cab, impatiently blows the car's horn to announce his/her arrival?
Idle wasters.
Good grief, just noticed my speeling above, forgiveness begged.

Should use a spellchecker to pick up me gaffes.
pick up you gaff? didnt know you were living in Rushden. Not got horses heads on the gateposts of your compound have you?
 Tipping a minicab driver - Dog
I'll have to give e'e some lessons gord.

:o}
Tee hee you lot, Daughter lives in Rushden, not her fault really someone has to, it does boast a Waitrose though.

The only horses heads are the ones Z might find when he pulls the covers back.

Oh and anecdotally i drove for some years for the abattoir nearby, i'd only been there about a month and still getting used to the sights smells and sounds when i had to take a load of offal one night up to Widnes, i backed up to the pit to tip the load in and made the mistake of peering down, must have been 200 horses skulls peering grinning back up at me in the eerie small hours...gulp.

Had some strange jobs..;)

PS i didn't call down ''why the long face''.
Last edited by: gordonbennet on Mon 1 Jul 13 at 12:54
 Tipping a minicab driver - MD
>> How annoying is it when a cab driver arrives at a house to collect a
>> fare and then, being too blooming lazy to get out of the cab, impatiently blows
>> the car's horn to announce his/her arrival?
>>
And illegal.
 Tipping a minicab driver - Armel Coussine
Some may find it hard to believe but I am a courteous person. However we were a little bit rough minicabbing in Clapham in the seventies. Some people seemed to expect a bit of door-opening palaver and some actually needed a hand to get in or out for one reason or another. However the general run of punters were jolly, brisk and working class, who would bung you the money and leap out all by themselves. Got a very drunk very young girl punter one night. Helped her out and waited until she'd gone inside her house. She was drunk enough to come to harm on the streets I felt.

The best tippers, sometimes generous almost to a fault, were well-paid working class blokes on a night out. It was a sort of foretaste of the loadsamoney era.
 Tipping a minicab driver - Armel Coussine
>> too blooming lazy to get out of the cab, impatiently blows the car's horn

If a punter keeps you waiting half an hour you can charge for it, but timewasting little delays of five and ten minutes are just a nuisance. If you aren't earning you're wasting your time. Perhaps the office has already plotted a job for you at the other end and is asking how you're doing... That's why minicab drivers hoot in that yobbish way. It isn't a licence to print money like a black cab. It's hard work.
 Tipping a minicab driver - Roger.
Yes - I agree that time is money, but a little courtesy and plain good manners would indicate that the driver should get out of his vehicle and actually knock on the door, or ring his customer's door-bell.
This is not limited to taxi drivers though - quite a few folk collecting their friends do this too.
I abhor this behaviour - does this make me middle class?
 Tipping a minicab driver - Duncan
>> This is not limited to taxi drivers though - quite a few folk collecting their
>> friends do this too.
>> I abhor this behaviour - does this make me middle class?
>>

I dislike drivers who sound their horns when they leave a friends house.
>> I dislike drivers who sound their horns when they leave a friends house.
>>

Me too. My final farewell is via a couple of flashes of my hazard warning lights as I leave their driveway.
Our local cab firm , driver does not honk the horn but rings your phone when he is outside.....
Latest Forum Posts