Non-motoring > Applying masonry paint Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 4

Applying masonry paint - legacylad
I've decided to paint the interior of my double garage, which currently is simple grey blockwork. Whilst tidying it recently I found some old 5l tins of stabilising solution, so would I gain anything by splashing this on before the Granocryl smooth masonry paint? My thinking was that it would create a 'barrier', as in treating new plaster, meaning I would use less masonry paint, which I shall have to buy. Is this stating the obvious?
 Applying masonry paint - Manatee
Sounds a good idea to use it anyway. It's to stop the paint flaking on a dusty surface but it should improve the coverage if it makes it less absorbent.

You could always test it on a patch. Is it the watered down Pva stuff?.
 Applying masonry paint - Clk Sec
>> I've decided to paint the interior of my double garage, which currently is simple grey
>> blockwork.

I used just one coat of emulsion, applied generously with a brush. Still looks fine after five years.
 Applying masonry paint - MD
Don't waste the stabiliser. The blockwork is so porous. Just use a slightly watered down coat first. SLIGHTLY.
 Applying masonry paint - legacylad
Thanks MD
I've had no use for the stabiliser these past 10 years, and don't envisage using it on new plaster the next 10 either. However, you never know....
Will water down some old white emulsion, of which I probably have about 15 litres in various guises. Then, assuming it still needs it, will put on Granocryl smooth white masonry which we sell at work and can get for a decent price.
Latest Forum Posts