news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/10171193.stm
 capitalism gone mad - Clk Sec
Asda be a good thing.
 capitalism gone mad - crocks
Every Lidl helps.
 capitalism gone mad - L'escargot
Just one cor-netto.
 capitalism gone mad - Iffy
...cant even go to netto now without big business owning it...

Er, Netto is a near billion-pound business in the UK, and presumably has a large presence in its home country and elsewhere in Europe.

It was hardly a corner shop even before Wal-Mart came calling.

capitalism gone mad - RattleandSmoke
I think Netto alway struggeled to find a niche like Aldi and Lidl have done so I am not surprised by this. ASDA currently don't have any smaller 'local' supermarkets so this deal will give ASDA instant access to the convenience market. that Sainsburys, Tesco and CO-OP have cornered the market with.

capitalism gone mad - FotheringtonTomas
They were not making enough money here, so they've flogged off their stores at a good rate. Prices will rise. Lidl will get some more customers, as will other supermarkets.
 capitalism gone mad - Bellboy
spot on FT
i just hope the monopolies and sit on their hands object to this proposal
 capitalism gone mad - CGNorwich
I really don't understand "discounter" supermarkets. We had a new Aldi open recently and it contains a weird selections of unknown brands packaged to look like the proper article and an aisle filled with what can only be described as tat. Have bought the odd bottle of beer and occasionally some fruit and vegetables, which were OK but not particularly cheap.

Has strange omissions in its stock, for example popped in looked in for some flour the other day - they don't sell it. Didn't seem very popular either compared with the Somerfield/Co-op opposite. Don't think I will use it again
>>I really don't understand "discounter" supermarkets.

I've never set foot in one and don't know of any in my area.
 capitalism gone mad - BiggerBadderDave
"I really don't understand "discounter" supermarkets"

There are two near me, a Lidl and a Biedronka (Ladybird). The savings are substantial, generally 60 - 70% of Carrefour, Real and Tesco on many products. But yes, they do sell some odd tat and we do have to go to Carrefour for decent fresh meat and fish and one or two other things.

Bols Vodka is 27zl compared to 46zl in other stores (and 50+ in offies) for example. Similar savings on beers and wines, bread and milk. Soft drinks. Toilet roll.

I've saved a lot by using them although I was reluctant at first because I like my proper branded rich tea and digestive biskwits.
 capitalism gone mad - John H
>> I really don't understand "discounter" supermarkets. We had a new Aldi open recently and it
>> contains a weird selections of unknown brands packaged to look like the proper article

I take it you don't shop at Waitrose then. It is said that Aldi is the second shop that Waitrose customers go to.
www.walletpop.co.uk/2010/01/28/tesco-asda-sainsburys-and-morrisons-disappoint-while-aldi-and/
www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financetopics/recession/4229648/Aldi-and-Lidl-woo-middle-class-shoppers-as-Waitrose-loses-out.html
Actually we do shop at Waitrose, Cringleford branch every week, supplemented by our local bakers, our local farm shop and greengrocery on Norwich market. Have never believed in buying food solely on price and in fact the price differential between Waitrose and Sainsburys or Tesco is not a great as a lot of people believe .

If Aldi believe their products are good why do they package them to look like the brand leader?

Waitrose is still the fastest growing supermarket in the UK.

www.retail-week.com/sectors/food/waitrose-still-uks-fastest-growing-supermarket/5012966.article
 capitalism gone mad - FotheringtonTomas
>> Aldi
>> popped in looked in for some flour the other day - they don't sell it.

You must've walked past it without noticing.
 capitalism gone mad - kensitas
There's lidl to distinguish the difference between the 'budget' supermarkets - aldi you like them or you don't though (..ahem).

My personal combo is Lidl & Waitrose - in one, some very good prices on some good quality items - Italian hard chesse, excellent free range egss & occasionally Italian 'co-op' produced tomatoes (grown on little hillside homesteads..)

Waitrose, of course, do your high-end stuff when you're feeling flush - only problem are the snooty type of customer they tend to attract - yummy-mummy toxic blonde types
No - they don't sell it - I asked the manager.
 capitalism gone mad - bathtub tom
Just had the most tender beef in a chilli-con-carne made by SWMBO with LIDL's meat.

Had a tough old joint of topside from Tesco last weekend.

We find LIDL's gammon joints to be excellent, although we have sometimes been disappointed with the quality of some of their other joints.

I'd say they're better overall than the other supermarkets available in our area (no ALDI, Waitrose or Morrison's).

Anyone else tried their Bavarian smoked ham?

There's an Aldi and a Lidl not far from the caravan at Catterick.

I think they do OK because a lot of the squaddies and their wives recognise the brands from serving in Germany.

Most of the stuff I like, some I don't, which is the same as the other supermarkets.

Anyone who thinks the food is inferior quality is a deluded snob.

capitalism gone mad - Pat
Lorry drivers are watching this one with interest.

We deliver into all the supermarket NDC's ( National Distribution Centres).

Asda, Tesco, Waitrose, Morrisons and Sainsbury all have approx 50-100 unloading bays. We back on the bay and the Goods In staff use an electric pallet truck to unload the 26 pallets and check them.
Most are fairly efficient but there can be delays of 4-6 hours at busy times because of shortage of staff and space in the warehouse.

Aldi, Lidl and netto all use a different method and despite objections from some lorry drivers and their bosses, have insisted that if you're not happy to do this they will not by that suppliers product.

They have a similar amount of bays, the driver backs the trailer on and then goes and swaps his lorry keys for the keys to the electric pallet truck and unloads himself. The pallets have to be put where they want them and in a neat straight line, turned a certain way round. The driver has to sign ( in some cases) to say they have recieved tuition in how to use the pallet truck, which consists of a 1 min chat to explain how to turn it on!

The result is that 1 person can run an entire Goods In Dept, as opposed to a team of possibly 20/30 at Asda, to get the vehicles unloaded.

Some lorry drivers feel they are not supposed to be doing a warehousemans job, and are doing other people out of a job.
Others, like myself appreciate that I can tip and turn around 26 pallets in 45 minutes and be away, with some much appreciated exercise into the bargain.

It does go some way to showing how they manage to keep their costs down though.

So, the big question for us is will Asda go self tip, or will we get tipped at Netto's by goods in staff?

Pat
 capitalism gone mad - Harleyman
>>
>> Some lorry drivers feel they are not supposed to be doing a warehousemans job, and
>> are doing other people out of a job.
>> Others, like myself appreciate that I can tip and turn around 26 pallets in 45
>> minutes and be away, with some much appreciated exercise into the bargain.
>>

That as you know Pat is the major difference between drivers and "steering wheel attendants".

I'd gladly put some of 'em on my job, only they'd not only refuse to unload the feed bags by hand ( a task which 75-year-old farmers help me with daily) but probably wouldn't be able to get near the farm in the first place, their idea of "tight" being the double-gated entrance to the RDC!

I do think there is an issue on health and safety grounds; not so much for the risk of injury but the fact that in the event of an accident one side will inevitably blame the other and the driver will end up with no compensation if he does injure himself.
I did pursue this with the HSE ( on behalf of our Members and not for myself!) and it appears your own employers insurance covers you to do anything he permits you to do while in his employment:)

Having said that, I've had to re-stack a few pallets I've had over!

Baked beans and Aldi Middleton spring to mind.:(

I have to add, I shop at Tesco's and will continue to do so until Aldi/Lidl/Netto do a home delivery service!

Pat
 capitalism gone mad - MD
Tesco home delivery first class. Shops...Yuk!
"Shops...Yuk!"

If I didn't go to the shops or do the school run, I wouldn't interact with another humans for months on end.

Shops can be very sexually charged.
 capitalism gone mad - Zero
Having done work inside some of the larger Tesco and Asda NDCs. some of which are larger than the insdie of wembley, I would say you have no chance of having to load yourself in one of them. The supply chain distribution methods are far to complex to allow casual loading.

The nettos will be rebranded as Asda local (or some such thing) and supplied from the nearest NDC. The old Netto distribution system will be closed down.
Question for you Pat, the new warehouse thats been built near the A47 at Wisbech near the old Wisbech to March railway branch. Whats that all about? it had very narrow isles and structures inside, clearly an automated picker system, but for who and what?
Never mind, found it. Its an automated "lights out" cold store.
with a fascinating story behind it. The company building it went bust and this is why....

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/8284941.stm
There's something odd about a man that answers his own posts 4 times in a row.
At least I wasnt deported to Poland.
Poland is in the EU.

BBD could not be deported, he would have to abjure the realm.
 capitalism gone mad - Ted
>> There's something odd about a man that answers his own posts 4 times in a
>> row.

I thought he was odd well before that, Dave !
I suppose it takes all sorts.

Ted
>>
whats even madder is that BBD cant count.
Don't need to, I draw pictures all day long.
If you drew Pictures of Matchstick Men, you could practise counting at the same time.

tinyurl.com/34p2lan

That made me laugh. I wasn't expecting Francis Rossi though, I was expecting that "sparking clogs outside the factory gates" song.
...I was expecting that "sparking clogs outside the factory gates" song....

Happy to oblige:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnRX6_Txpaw
 capitalism gone mad - L'escargot
>> I suppose it takes all sorts.

It doesn't take all sorts. We just happen to have got all sorts!
 capitalism gone mad - Dog
>>There's something odd about a man that answers his own posts 4 times in a row<<

It's the qwerty version of talking to yourself and usually precedes hairy palms.
>>Happy to oblige:

I

Nice one!

Zero tolerance ???

Ted
 capitalism gone mad - MD
>> There's something odd about a man that answers his own posts 4 times in a
>> row.
>>
He's neither odd or even!
But he could start a row in an empty room.
 capitalism gone mad - MD
>> But he could start a row in an empty room.
>>
Maybe, BUT often a source of much useful info'.
Row as in 'o' or row as in 'how'?
Oi, dont talk about me as tho I am not here.

Ah, thought we'd manage to tease you out of your burrow ! :-)

Ted
 capitalism gone mad - MD
>>
>> Ah, thought we'd manage to tease you out of your burrow ! :-)
>>
>> Ted
>>
Let 'em go Z. They'll soon tyre (motoring link)
Sorry Z, I was away in Kent:)

It seems you found your answer but it certainly is an eyesore, isn't it?

Pat
Latest Forum Posts