Non-motoring > Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Robin O'Reliant Replies: 33

Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - Robin O'Reliant
He's off again this week, what's going on?

He seems to do two weeks on, one week off now. Has he got health issues or something?
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - Armel Coussine
Who he?
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - Pat
The Beeb should give the afternoon slot to Chris Tarrant permanently, he plays far better music and has a sense of humour too.

Pat
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - R.P.
Agreed. Mr Wright is a BBC employee probably involved in other projects.
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - Alastairw
As long as they don't give the job to Paddy whatshisname. He irritates me enough to turn the radio off!
Amen to Tarrant.

Unfortunately this week we have Jo Whiley who is awful and last time we had Patrick Kielty who is beyond awful.

Wrighty may well be involved in other projects but I can't see those being allowed to effect one of R2's flagship shows, which leads me to question whether there are other issues.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Tue 9 Jul 13 at 18:38
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - Zero
>> Amen to Tarrant.
>>
>> Unfortunately this week we have Jo Whiley who is awful and last time we had
>> Patrick Kielty who is beyond awful.
>>
>> Wrighty may well be involved in other projects but I can't see those being allowed
>> to effect one of R2's flagship shows, which leads me to question whether there are
>> other issues.

Its not R2's flagship period. Simon Mayo and Chris noisy thing have the prime slots.
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - PhilW
Except that CT never allows his interviewees to say much - he continually interrupts them with stories of his own.
While on subject of R2, does anyone else find Vanessa Feltz intensely annoying in the morning. She has no punctuation in her talking - it's just a continuous stream with all sentences merging. Oh, and Jeremy Vine - can't listen to him! Nor that Paddy something who stands in for him!!
Rant over - increasingly listening to Radio 4 except for that bloke whose name I can't remember and that woman ...................(sorry!)
Daren't mention Radio 1 !!!!!!
Richard Madeley - another one that tunes me out.
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - Zero
>> He's off again this week, what's going on?
>>
>> He seems to do two weeks on, one week off now. Has he got health
>> issues or something?

dont moan about it, one week off is better than hearing all the time.
I tried to like that Chris Noisy thing - gone back to shouting at Today on the way to work now. Far more rewarding. Agree with that bland Irish person, what was his name again ? - paint dryingly boring.
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - Manatee
Is Tarrant better when you don't have to look at him? I doubt it, likes the sound of his own voice too much.

Ken Bruce I can tolerate. The rest I don't last long with. Evans being the worst. Is he still on?

>> Ken Bruce I can tolerate. The rest I don't last long with. Evans being the
>> worst. Is he still on?
>>

Now Ken Bruce I really do like. A great understated sense of humour and a respecter or the music he plays, himself and Johnny Walker are among the few DJs who don't talk over the records.
Ah, Johnny Walker - not on often enough - but has serious health problems??
>> Ah, Johnny Walker - not on often enough - but has serious health problems??
>>

He had cancer a few years back but beat it. He's got a brilliant show on Sunday afternoons now.
"brilliant show on Sunday afternoons now."
Yep - seem to have been listening to him most of my life - he must be getting on now, but he still has "that voice" and taste in music which suits me.
I quite like Chris Evans in morning - wakes me up and makes me laugh. But (and I feel another rant coming on!!) why was/is so much of R2 given over to Glastonbury?
Yes, 50 years ago I thought that Woodstock was fantastic, but is Glastonbury really something that the target audience of R2 is interested in?? Am I really interested in a live (otherwise known as "not very good") performance by Mumford and Son? No, let's have "Gimme Shelter" from the Stones!! Or "Road to Hell " by Chris Rea - appropriate when on M25 at 8am!
PS Got 24 points on Popmaster yesterday - my highest ever (first set of Qs) but on second set got 3pts!
I have been known to get zero several times a week!!!
Best guy on R2 is Alex Lester - on at about 2am til 5! That's pda's time of day!
Last edited by: PhilW on Tue 9 Jul 13 at 18:55
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - Runfer D'Hills
Although to be fair, anything is better than Sarah Kennedy who used to be constantly going on about her ruddy cats. I've come around to Evans. Didn't think anyone could ever replace Tel but he's doing a decent job now. I miss Johnny Walker, can't be doing with Steve Wright ( do so many people really "love the show Steve" ? ) Zoe Ball and Jo Whiley never shut up about their sprogs. Ken Bruce is alright. Vanessa Feltz can be ok, clearly intelligent but I dunno, something about her grates. Used to like Radcliffe and Maconi.
"Used to like Radcliffe and Maconi."
Yep, agree. About 8 ish in evening. Think they went over to 6 music or something? Not much good if you ain't got DAB in car.
I liked their "The Chain" where various listeners linked pieces of music to the previous evening's - often in the most obscure way!
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - corax
>> "Used to like Radcliffe and Maconi."
>> Yep, agree. About 8 ish in evening. Think they went over to 6 music or
>> something? Not much good if you ain't got DAB in car.
>> I liked their "The Chain" where various listeners linked pieces of music to the previous
>> evening's - often in the most obscure way!

Yep, they're on 6 music at 1pm every weekday. Still doing 'The Chain'.
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - Harleyman
Was pleasantly surprised to hear Jo Whiley in for Mr. Ego this week. I catch her usual show when I'm on a night out in the lorry; she's one of the few female presenters I can tolerate.

Like Ken Bruce and normally tune away from R4 (my default station) but I dislike Jeremy Vine's show; unfortunately the lot will be out of the window for the next few days as I'll be tuned to TMS.
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - MD
How on earth has Steve Wright managed to stay 'at the top' for so long. Boring, childish it's Like local commercial radio at its worst.

Johnnie Walker has the most pleasant voice for radio ever.

Have come around to Evans. Pratt in his younger days though.

Never liked Tel when I was younger, but of course he needs listening to and now I think he is brilliant.

Ken Bruce A.OK

Alvar Liddell. Now he was a screamer.
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - Alanovich
>> "Used to like Radcliffe and Maconi."

Radcliffe and Riley were better. Mark and Lard.
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - VxFan
>> Radcliffe and Riley were better. Mark and Lard.

Oh how I miss Fat Harry White and Lard's Animal Sanctuary.
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - VxFan
>> I quite like Chris Evans in morning

Used to like him on TV, but hate his radio show.

"how do you like your eggs in the morning?"

Personally I like mine without a snippet of that damn irritating song being played every weekday morning, and more annoyingly played in full every Tuesday morning without fail - grrrr.

And don't get me started about him playing Sammy Davis Jr's Candyman every Friday morning as well.

Out of all the millions of records, why those particular two each week?

Good Evans above.
Last edited by: VxFan on Tue 9 Jul 13 at 21:25
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - Ted

I feel really out of this conversation !

Not had R1 or R2 on in this house for, probably, 30 yrs. SWM likes 4 & 7. The Archers is a must for her...........it's like Eastenders on silage to me........always arguing. Classic FM for me in the car or workshop. Newish DJ on Sunday night is Catherine Jenkins, the Welsh warbler.

Silly little speaking voice but she puts some good stuff on the deck and I can forgive anyone who looks like that..................even if she is Welsh !

Ted
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - Dave_
I only fully came over to Radio 2 when Chris Moyles left R1. I have to say Chris Evans has quickly become part of the daily/weekly routine here - there's something comforting about hearing the phone number, text and email address being read out simultaneously every Thursday morning, it means I'm still alive, still going to work and that it's almost Friday. I daresay Wogan fitted into many people's lives in the same way, and I hope Evans has as enduring a career there.
Alex Lester and Ken Bruce are the only other regularly listenable DJs on there IMO, I must enter Popmaster one day as I seem to be able to score in the 20s and 30s with some predictability now. If I do enter I shan't tell anybody until after the event, and even then only if I do alright ;)
Last edited by: Dave_TiD on Tue 9 Jul 13 at 22:29
"Alex Lester"
Still getting up early (or getting back late!) delivering cars then Dave?
;-)
Same here!
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - RattleandSmoke
I do occasionally listen to Radio 2 but sadly mostly listen to XFM (indie) and RealXS (classic rock) as I don't have a DAB tuner in my car, if I did I would listen to Radio 6.

Never really listened to Radio 1 other than the odd punk show, they play too much chart music for my liking and at 30 I am officially too old for it :). Radio 2 has always appealed to me more than Radio 1.

But quite frankly I would rather listen to the XX, The Pixies Two Door Cinema club etc hence XFM.
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - Armel Coussine
I asked: Who he?

No one has thought fit to tell me. But I'm not an idiot. I gather from subsequent posts that he some sort of phenomenally boring housewives' disc jockey, someone like that. On the wireless before decent people are even awake let alone listening to the wireless.

OFFS.
>> and at 30 I am officially too old for it :). <<

Grab that thought Rattle and jump on it, stamp on it and kill it dead.

At 67, I am officially too old for absolutely nothing, and what's more I never intend to be.

Pat
Alex Lester is by far the best Radio 2 have got but I didn't mention him as no-one seems to get up early on here!
I always new it was going to be a good day when I got up in the cab and turned the radio on while getting dressed, to find the dark lord playing AC/DC.

I quite like Simon Mayo too...in my self disciplined 'working from home' days his Enjoy Yourself signature tune means I can stop working:)

Pat

Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - Mike Hannon
Who are all these people allegedly on Radio 2? I still listen to Friday Night is Music Night quite often after 45 years and find that Ken Bruce quite acceptable. Desmond Carrington is interesting and I understand The Organist Entertains is still on. I met that Nigel Ogden once, drone drone drone...
 Steve Wright (Not) In The Afternoon - Fursty Ferret
>> Alex Lester is by far the best Radio 2 have got but I didn't mention
>> him as no-one seems to get up early on here!
>> I always new it was going to be a good day when I got up
>> in the cab and turned the radio on while getting dressed, to find the dark
>> lord playing AC/DC.
>>
>> I quite like Simon Mayo too...in my self disciplined 'working from home' days his Enjoy
>> Yourself signature tune means I can stop working:)
>>
>> Pat
>>
>>
>>

Oi, I listen to Alex Lester when I can, and completely agree with you.

Don't mind Chris Evans and Simon Mayo, think Ken Bruce is great, and can just tolerate Jeremy Vine. Can't abide Steve Wright or Vanessa Feltz (know exactly what you mean about lack of punctuation), and while Chris Tarrant is slightly better he's phenomenally arrogant.
Latest Forum Posts