Non-motoring > Ebay phishing attempt. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Zero Replies: 27

Ebay phishing attempt. - Zero
Just had a really good phishing email that states I am in arrears with my Ebay account, and need to make an immediate payment.

The email looks really good, superb formatting the only giveaway is that it comes from a BTinternet account and not an ebay domain.

the link in the email takes you www.ebay.co.uk-jyhyy54tt4534257.ytytgr.co.uk/safeSSL.connect048-account/Sign-in.htm

(its ok - safe to look at it as long as you don't enter any details)

Again looks pretty good, even the URL looks good at first glance.

Ebay phishing attempt. - Slidingpillar
I'm intrigued!

From what I thought I understood, the browser uses this bit for the domain ytytgr.co.uk and that despite looking odd, is eBay.

Or does the gobble-de-gook in front do a redirect?
 Ebay phishing attempt. - sherlock47
Looks good because if you look at the source code, much of appears to derived from ebay directly?

Have you forwarded a copy to ebay fraud protection? I suspect that they may issue a warning on their log in page.

It could certainly take me in if I was in a hurry!
Indeed, just looked at my genuine one and visually must be near or even identical.

But the real one is a https address with no gobble-de-gook in front of the co.uk bit.
 Ebay phishing attempt. - smokie
Chrome blocks that address for me, phishing site :-)

Gonna warn friends and family though...
Last edited by: smokie on Fri 19 Jul 13 at 14:26
>> Chrome blocks that address for me, phishing site :-)

So does my Safari now.
 Ebay phishing attempt. - DP
I agree, it's very cleverly done. All links bar the "Sign In" one appear to be genuine as well. Clearly it's a slightly amended version of the real page.

Were it not for the fact that I treat all general mail like this with suspicion, it would have fooled me.
 Ebay phishing attempt. - -
Thanks for the tip, convincing attempt i bet it hooked a few, my security blocked it till i asked to see it.

Ebay phishing attempt. - R.P.
Chrome has blocked it now.
Safari let me have a look - even the Norton Security Seal was clickable.
It gets better, if you enter a user name & password (I used big.tits@fatarse.com with any old crap as a password) you get a very convincing looking page asking for your credit card details to pay the arrears!
 Ebay phishing attempt. - movilogo
You can use credit card info from here.

www.fakenamegenerator.com/

Ebay phishing attempt. - MJM
I tried to log onto Zero's site and either firefox or my security software (Emsisoft) warned that it was a forged page.
 Ebay phishing attempt. - Crankcase
Intriguing. I ended up as a Michelle, and at 5'1" and 201 pounds I think I must be perfectly globular.
I've got a 2001 Lupo and I live next door to Zero.
 Ebay phishing attempt. - ....
Apparently I drive a '94 CRX in Germany hahahahahahha!!!! and I'm an assistant property manager. I've also lost 30kgs and 13 years so life's good !
 Ebay phishing attempt. - Crankcase
Lawks. I'm lumbered with a 2001 Kangoo. I hope I don't need to go anywhere from Poynton.
 Ebay phishing attempt. - Mike H
I've done a little better, I have a 1997 Merc S. Despite being 78 years old, I have a job as a Human Resources Manager. And my mother's name is Jordan, which I have to say was probably a little unusual back in 1934.
I like that site, I have shed 21 years and 30 lbs in weight, and I am a ships officer. The only drawback is I have moved next door to RPs gaff (before he moved next to mine) and I drive a Ford (probably his old fiesta)
No way am I using the identity it gives me. Obese and the driver of a 1993 Kia!
 Ebay phishing attempt. - Ted

Hi y'all....My names Nathan, I'm 66 and live in a village with a Swansea postcode. I drive a 2011 Renault Modus and am 5'9"/179 lbs. I'm an occupational therapist assistant.

I'm looking for love, preferably a dog lover with own train set. Male or Female...I lick the stamp on both sides.

( I made that last bit up........or did I ? )

Ted
 Ebay phishing attempt. - Skip
I am a 56 year old personnel analyst called Sam Wong who drives a 2012 Ford F-350 (whatever that is !). Oh and I am 5' 9" and weigh 70 kilos - the height is actually correct, but sadly the 70 kilos isn't !
 Ebay phishing attempt. - Aretas
I've got a Lexus, even if it is 14 years old.
 Ebay phishing attempt. - CGNorwich
I'm a Mercedes owning psycho-therapist. Who's first?
no chance, clearly your fees are too high.
 Ebay phishing attempt. - Robin O'Reliant
I'm a 24 year old Convention Manager called Harrison Hewitt.

TBH, I think I'd settle for that.

Edit: I drive a 2001 Smart Roadster. No thanks, after all :-(
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Sun 21 Jul 13 at 10:40
 Ebay phishing attempt. - swiss tony
>> Edit: I drive a 2001 Smart Roadster. No thanks, after all :-(
>>

Must be an early prototype then....

They were launched in 2003
 Ebay phishing attempt. - Roger.
Rapport Trusteer flags the false Paypal and eBay links.
I use Trusteer for all banking, Amazon and eBay pages, plus a few others which use or show sensitive information such as Facebook & Twitter.
Latest Forum Posts