Non-motoring > Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 79

Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - L'escargot
A few times lately I've seen Met Office online predictions in which the "feels like" temperature is higher than the actual temperature. How could the "feels like" temperature be the higher of the two?
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - madf
High humidity.
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - CGNorwich
And its going to be very hot and very humid next week! Will feel like you're living in a hot and sweaty armpit.
Beekeeping in a suit and veil in the sun at 3pm is like having a Turkish bath...
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - Dog
>>Beekeeping in a suit and veil in the sun at 3pm is like having a Turkish bath

Sounds like a job for Betty Swollocks to me!
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - Ted

Took the bike for a new front tyre today. I don't like to ride in T shirt, etc........ Cordura jacket, helmet and leather gloves wasn't exactly the coolest of attire.

Didn't bother with the trousers and boots, jeans/shoes had to do as I was coming home on the train/tram ( air-conditioned ) .

Ted
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - Armel Coussine
>> How could the "feels like" temperature be the higher of the two?

It certainly can feel much hotter than it actually is. A coastal city like Lagos or Dar es-Salaam can feel uncomfortably sweaty and hot, especially if there is no breeze, with an air temperature of an almost temperate 80F. 'It's the humidity!' people used to chorus. Whereas 100-plus temperatures in a dry desert place can feel all right, especially if there is some draught or air movement, anyway until heat exhaustion sets in. The fair-skinned have to watch out for sunburn though. And very high temperatures can feel devastating to some (middle-aged or elderly) individuals.

One of the strange things about the armpit of Africa (Bight of Benin) is that you can get sunburned without ever really seeing the sun, hidden as it is behind dust and cloud in a dull whitish-grey sky. You look out of the plane window when it lands and it looks like a chilly, damp autumn day. When you step outside it feels like a turkish bath.
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - Dave
It's all to add a bit of Hype, as is so common these days.

Bit like the windchill factor in winter.
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - WillDeBeest
Not sure why you call wind chill 'hype', Dave. It's real and measurable.
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - Armel Coussine
>> It's real and measurable.

Anyway, however tortured the means of measuring wind-chill, it is very palpable when you experience it.

Desert men carry water in pitch-lined goatskins slung over the front wings of their Land Rovers (or similar) in the blazing sun. The water leaks slowly into the furry outside of the skins and evaporates, cooling the contents, as the vehicles drive along. So when they stop, refreshing draughts of quite cold (but pitch-tasting) water are available.
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - Zero
>> It's all to add a bit of Hype, as is so common these days.
>>
>> Bit like the windchill factor in winter.

Hype? I know I can feel colder in the wind
Hype?
I've lost 3 fingers and 5 toes to windchill... and that was in June...
Cold hearted lass that June.
:-)

Better than penal servitude.
>> A few times lately I've seen Met Office online predictions in which the "feels like"
>> temperature is higher than the actual temperature. How could the "feels like" temperature be the
>> higher of the two?

The "actual" temperature is badly measured. A dark shady box with lots of ventilation away from any radiated heat sources. . Gives you no idea at all of how it feels or what its like standing on a pavement in the sun next to a hot black tarmac road. 31c the met says its shady box is telling them,,,,,......, scuse me son that tarmac sticking to the sole of my shoe and burning my foot is 50c
It's not "badly measured" . If you know its 31C in the shade it 's pretty obvious the road surface exposed to direct sunlight is going to be whole lot warmer
Bad choice of words, its "misleadingly" measured. Clearly a lot of people are misled, so stuff that up your mercury bulb.
If you mean many people do not understand that the temperatures quoted by meteorologists are shade temperatures you have a point.
They dont realise the difference can be quite large, dangerously so.
No they don't. But you can't really provide a value for the maximum temperature. Depends on too many factors. Inside a car parked in the midday sun the temperature can easily exceed the shade temperature by 20C
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - smokie
There are some very stupid people out there, aren't there. Unbelievable. Seems crazy that the Met Office has to issue a Code 3 warning because it's a bit hot for a few days, and still some people managed to fry their 4 week old on the beach yesterday.

I'm old and lucky enough to have survived the summer of '76 (one reason being that it was when I was sentenced to married life for eternity!!) but I don't remember nanny state having to tell me to drink frequently, wear loose clothes and all that.
Gritters out in Warrington!!! www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-23375423
Anyone who watches F1 knows the difference between track temperature and temperature in the shade .. or should do as it is discussed so often.

(Or they are thick.. )

Since it's so boring I suspect the latter :-)

>> There are some very stupid people out there, aren't there. Unbelievable. Seems crazy that the
>> Met Office has to issue a Code 3 warning because it's a bit hot for
>> a few days, and still some people managed to fry their 4 week old on
>> the beach yesterday.
>>
>> I'm old and lucky enough to have survived the summer of '76 (one reason being
>> that it was when I was sentenced to married life for eternity!!) but I don't
>> remember nanny state having to tell me to drink frequently, wear loose clothes and all
>> that.
>>

I remember being told to "share baths" and the local MP being outraged..
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - corax
>> I remember being told to "share baths" and the local MP being outraged..

Have you still been running this week madf?
>> >> I remember being told to "share baths" and the local MP being outraged..
>>
>> Have you still been running this week madf?
>>

Had to give up running due to continued hamstring problems - very painful.

Power yoga instead.. the views are better as well:-)
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - MD
Have you still got that Cheese cloth shirt?
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - Mike H
>> I'm old and lucky enough to have survived the summer of '76 (one reason being
>> that it was when I was sentenced to married life for eternity!!) but I don't
>> remember nanny state having to tell me to drink frequently, wear loose clothes and all
>> that.
>>
Ditto, Smokie! But IIRC in 1976 it wasn't so much the heat as the drought. We got married on 24th July, and it was sunny (no chance of rain!), but there was quite a breeze. No-one overheated (well, I got a bit excited), it was actually quite a pleasant temperature.
"in 1976 it wasn't so much the heat as the drought."

It was actually pretty hot that year but temperatures had peaked by mid July.

"The temperature reached 26.7°C (80°F) every day between 22 June and 16 July. For 15 consecutive days from 23 June to 7 July inclusive, temperatures reached 32.2°C (90°F) somewhere in England. Furthermore, five days saw temperatures exceed 35°C (95°F). On 28 June, temperatures reached 35.6°C (96.1°F) in Southampton, the highest June temperature recorded in the UK. The hottest day of all was 3 July, with temperatures reaching 35.9°C (96.6°F) in Cheltenham, one of the hottest July days on record in the UK."

Wikipaedia
Ginger (where is BBD) is good for cooling you down, I had half a melon this afternoon after having spent 2 hours cutting the grass (I've got a lot of grass, man)

I sprinkled ground ginger on the melon (probably too much) and it burnt the roof of my mouth but, staright away I noticed a cooling effect (please don't try this at home)
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - Cliff Pope
It actually hasn't been very hot yet. The 27 degrees we achieved today, the hottest so far this year, is only 80 degrees in old money. I remember years ago a summer was hot when it climbed well into the 80s, and remember it reaching 90 at Lakenheath in about 1965.

Temperatures have been dumbed-down, like everything else.
where are you that your hottest was only 27˚c? its been 32˚c here at least twice, thats nearly 90 in old monies.
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - rtj70
It's been about 30 deg C in Manchester today - car temperature said 31 at one point today. But as soon as you were in the sun it was obviously a lot hotter. Why people need that explaining... some thick people about.
Last edited by: rtj70 on Fri 19 Jul 13 at 21:55
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - Cliff Pope
>> where are you that your hottest was only 27 ?
>>

Pembrokeshire/Carmarthenshire borders.
That's in the shade, measured in a proper Stevenson screen.
>>Pembrokeshire/Carmarthenshire borders.

What, like here: www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01h95wz/Escape_to_the_Country_Series_12_Pembrokeshire/
Highest temp so far this year was 32.2C at Hampton water works in SW london on 17th July

Record highest recorded temperature ever in England was 38.5C at Faversham Kent 0n 10th August 2003

90F = 32.2C
It was very hot when my sister was born - June 1947 ... 5 years before I arrived (Lud will remember it)
>>It was very hot when my sister was born - June 1947

June 3rd temperatures reached 34.4C in London and Waddington.

www.dandantheweatherman.com/Bereklauw/Weather1947.htm
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - Roger.
30 C - just nicely warm - unless you are working of course!
The last few days, around the house and garden, we have both been wearing our genuine Malaysian sarongs. Let it all hang out and swing free. :-)
On Mrs. R's 70th birthday, in Spain, of course, the outside temperature was 40 C and i was in the kitchen cooking two types of curry for around 30 guests!
The air coming in thru' the kitchen window seemed hotter than the air inside the kitchen!
Now THAT was hot, with the cooker on too.
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - Baz
I see that the teachers have spotted another band wagon to jump on.......poor dabs.
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - Bromptonaut
>> I see that the teachers have spotted another band wagon to jump on.......poor dabs.

I've not seen this but I assume there have been closures or changes to school day during current heatwave.

It is nearly the end of term and the heavy lifting of exams etc is out of the way. Buildings in this country tend not to be designed for extremes of heat. Temperatures in class rooms can rise above those where transport of animals is restricted.

However good your class control is trying to get kids to do anything meaningful for the whole of an hour lesson under those conditions is pretty well impossible. In labs drinking is not allowed so they cannot even bring in water.

Teach them outside, extend breaks and maybe start late or finish early.
>> www.dandantheweatherman.com/Bereklauw/Weather1947.htm
>>

I remember the winter of 1946/47. The snow was so deep it came over the top of my wellies. Fortunately I now wear a larger of size of wellies so I should be safe from that happening now!
>>I remember the winter of 1946/47. The snow was so deep it came over the top of my wellies

Course, I was forgetting you L'es, you're an old stick too.

:o)
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - Ian (Cape Town)
Phew,what a scorcher.

We had 27C last week. And this is our winter!

Jan/Feb it often bumps up into the low 40s. That gets a tad unpleasant.
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - Bigtee
Sleeping naked with the fan on cools all the bits just lovely just have to watch out for the mosquito bites.
When we lived in Spain our air-con in the bedroom was set to a "cool" 22C for night-time sleeping.
>>When we lived in Spain our air-con in the bedroom was set to a "cool" 22C for night-time sleeping

Did you find that expensive to run, Dodger?
Peeps in Cyprus try to make do with fans as there is only one energy supplier and they charge like the Light Brigade!

Good thing about Tenerife (there are others!) is that it doesn't get overly hot in the summer, nor cold in the winter.
A fine mister - quick spray - and you're cold.. For about 3 minutes..

I'm going to try nude beekeeping.
>> I'm going to try nude beekeeping.

Kinky :)
"I'm going to try nude beekeeping"....risking a sting in the tail
>> Good thing about Tenerife (there are others!) is that it doesn't get overly hot in
>> the summer, nor cold in the winter.

On one of those 'Brits abroad' programs I remember a guy in Tuscany got a large barrel into his back garden, filled it with water, put a sunshade over it then got inside naked when the temperatures soared.
Diogenes lived in a barrel apparently, I don't know whether that story holds water though.

Most peeps in Cyprus (ex cowpats) tend to have access to a pool from what I can gather.
Enveloped in a sea fret on the East Coast. Quite cool here
>> >>When we lived in Spain our air-con in the bedroom was set to a "cool"
>> 22C for night-time sleeping
>>
>> Did you find that expensive to run, Dodger?

Nope: we had after-market fitted inverter units, of a good make which were low in leccie consumption. They heated our flat very efficiently in winter, too.
>>we had after-market fitted inverter units, of a good make which were low in leccie consumption

I've heard (read) good reports about those units, por favor can you remember what make they were?
IIRC - Fujitsu. Not the cheapest to buy, but much better performance than the cheapos from the likes of Carrefour.

tinyurl.com/kmaoam4

Por example.
Last edited by: Roger on Sat 20 Jul 13 at 22:22
Thanks Rodger.
Rain overnight here! Cool start today. 15C at 0700 hrs.
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - zookeeper
perfect car boot weather ( unless your trapped in one).... those foot spa's will be flying off the stands ... probably
18C here now, overcast and a cool breeze.
It's my fault for watering the garden last night. Three tranches of three hours each, so it's a good job we don't have a water meter.
Hurray! - we've finally got rid of that blimmin sunshine down ere in Cornwall ... 2 weeks of it is enough for any man.

Brown as the proverbial berry though, bin outside in my shorts giving the retaining walls a good seeing to with fun-gicidal wash, plenty of filler and 5 litres of Sandtex, all looks nice now ('til the birds crap on it)
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - idle_chatterer
As a temporary expat I find it pretty amusing reading the UK press describing the current/recent weather, 30C to 39C and 90% humidity is normal for much of the year in Hong Kong and it falls to (maybe) 28C and 90% humidity at night. In Aus we get 40C+ for weeks on end and (maybe) 25C overnight, at least it isn't humid.

This means that the 'feels like' temperature is invariably higher than the measured temperature in Hong Kong whereas it's about the same in Aus (in Victoria anyhow).

Since SWMBO hates running aircon when we're asleep we resort to its use (where available - often it isn't) very little. Fans (in conjunction with dehumidifiers in HK) keep things surprisingly bearable. You'd be surprised by how quickly you acclimatise.

I guess it'll cool soon in the UK, but please remember that the temperatures you're experiencing are unremarkable for many (most?) of the world's population.....
Last edited by: idle_chatterer on Mon 22 Jul 13 at 14:05
Thy're all wimps . Anything under 40C is pleasant. Try running a half marathon in 35C - very pleasant as long as you drink and shade your head...
"In Aus we get 40C+ for weeks on end"

Where do you live? Checking out a few sites they quote temps as only exceeding 40C for a couple of days each year in Sydney and Melbourne. Even Brisbane is quoted as seldom exceeding the mid thirties.
Perth WA averages about 26˚c in summer, hits a max of about 39˚c and often has 5 or more consecutive days of + 35˚

Darwin average highs are 30˚c + and lows never below 22˚c all year
Darwin average highs are 30˚c + and lows never below 22˚c all year
e
That's why so few live there
>> Darwin average highs are 30˚c + and lows never below 22˚c all year
>> e
>> That's why so few live there

More to do with the wild life, everything up there is out to kill you. No good shouting at a salt water croc, its deaf.
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - SteelSpark
>> As a temporary expat I find it pretty amusing reading the UK press describing the
>> current/recent weather, 30C to 39C and 90% humidity is normal for much of the year
>> in Hong Kong and it falls to (maybe) 28C and 90% humidity at night.

>> I guess it'll cool soon in the UK, but please remember that the temperatures you're
>> experiencing are unremarkable for many (most?) of the world's population.....

I think you've overstated things a bit.

The average humidity in Hong Kong is actually 81%, compared to 90% in London.

Using the Humidex definition, the average high "feels like" temp in Hong Kong in July is 46C, and the record is 57C. At 4pm today in London it was 53C by the same measure.

No doubt Hong Kong is, on average, hotter and so the people more acclimatised. Still, they can't live comfortably with such temps for a prolonged period without air-con, fans, etc.

So, let's not make out as if the current conditions in the UK would be a cool spring day to those in Hong Kong.
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - No FM2R
A cool spring day, hardly, but usually more pleasant to be in.

1) One expects it to be hot and is prepared for it
2) Lifestyle and clothing are oriented around it being hot
3) Everywhere is cooled.

On the other hand being in Brazil, for example, when its cold ( say 10 degrees!) is absolutely nasty for the same reason the UK is unpleasant at 30 - Nothing, nowhere and nobody is prepared for it.

Last edited by: No FM2R on Mon 22 Jul 13 at 17:53
When Russia had a heat wave, they were dropping like flies. They weren't prepared, and who can blame them.
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - SteelSpark
>> When Russia had a heat wave, they were dropping like flies. They weren't prepared, and
>> who can blame them.

No doubt they were rolling in the aisles when our papers have suggested that we've had heavy snowfall over the past couple of years.

Human nature, of course. There is a need to feel that one is somehow more stoic than others.

To do that you need to believe that others as somehow unable to cope with what you deal with daily.

Weather fits the bill perfectly. Tell the other guy that you deal with that kind of weather everyday...just don't mention that you get to work because of the fleet of snowploughs, rather than some inner strength...
Last edited by: SteelSpark on Mon 22 Jul 13 at 18:47
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - helicopter

It is only 41 degrees C in Doha today ...and that is less than normal. Temperatures over 50 are not uncommon.... I have experienced 44 degrees in November...... ( and ended up with heatstroke)...........

In the 1960s and 1970s the cooling system of Rootes Group cars was designed to cater (under any modes a car could be driven) for an ambient air temperature of 40°C for general markets or 50°C for exports to Iran.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 23 Jul 13 at 09:07
still overheated tho.
The Hillman Imp had a water pump designed to dissolve in water at 90C,
>> The Hillman Imp had a water pump designed to dissolve in water at 90C,
>>

Rhubarb!
I'm working on a design for a G string ... that will dissolve in water.

:}
 Actual air temperature vs "feels like" temperature - TeeCee
Have you something against sweaty guitarists?
They lose their pluck.
Not if they use their fingers.

:}
Latest Forum Posts