Non-motoring > Dogs in hot weather - some thoughts Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 6

Dogs in hot weather - some thoughts - R.P.
Still very hot and humid up here on the Anglesey Massif. Dogs' routine changed a bit to adapt.

They both sleep in the hallway - a big area which gets quite warm thanks to the glass roofed room which is next to it - current temp. is 24 degrees with 67% humidity. Both dogs have their summer coats...to reduce discomfort. I run a fan in here when they're alone - given some thought to this, is there any benefit to them, bearing in mind that the fan's output actually evaporates sweat on human skin for cooling effect ?

There is a paddling pool in the garden ( 4 quid jobby) - neither dog has shown any interest - why ? Both are wild swimmers going to the muckiest water possible when out on a run.

The run in the forestry has been stopped until the weather breaks - not allowed anywhere near the cars.

The older dog has a wiser approach to the weather, seeking shade wherever he can - the pupster is more active and pays the price at the end of the day....

Dogs in hot weather - some thoughts - Dog
25° with 66% humility here :)

Good thing about these olde stone cottidges is that they stay cool - especially the stoned floors.

I wouldn't take Milo out in this wev, he's 13 now, and struggles even in cooler conditions

Rain is on the way thank gawd (who said that!!)
 Dogs in hot weather - some thoughts - Zero
Fifi is lazing around lots more, but likes to kip on the floor in front of the fan. Not too bothered by the heat to be honest, surprising for a northern cold weather dog, tho she gets her walk in the early morning cool.

The Malinois really have interesting behaviour in the heat, any heat they hate. Often seeking out and walking in the shade, but particular to standing in water, dogs can dissipate a lot of heat through the pads in their feet. Lot of blood supply in the pads, if one gets cut watch the claret flow! Pads and ears dissipate heat, and wet tongue is used for evaporative cooling.
Last edited by: Zero on Sat 20 Jul 13 at 14:21
R/Ridgebacks are strange dogs, Milo will gulp 1 litre of water straight after his meal, but wont bother drinking again until 24 hours time!

The breed is okay in hot weather as they originate from S. Africa, this one doesn't like the cold though.

The other peculiarity with this breed is that they can hold their bladder/bowels for ages in that quite often 15 hours or more (believe it or not) will pass before they need to take a leak or do a big job.
 Dogs in hot weather - some thoughts - Zero
Fifi is much the same, she can be left 10-12 hours between toileting and only drinks at dusk, about 2 litres. (even in this weather)
So do we (humans) need to drink so much then I wonder, I guzzle up to 14 small mugs of tea per day.

(No wonder I'm always on the P!)
 Dogs in hot weather - some thoughts - Robin O'Reliant
The heat doesn't seem to have much effect on our year old Beagle, but the poor old Welsh Springer is showing every bit of her thirteen years, panting and struggling to move. We keep a plentiful supply of water near her bed and the regular dab of a wet towel on her nose and paws keeps her reasonably cool.
Latest Forum Posts