Non-motoring > Mel Smith dies. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: R.P. Replies: 15

Mel Smith dies. - R.P.
Part of the comedy sound-track of my laugh - Made me laugh, especially in the little watched Colin's Sandwich.
 Mel Smith dies. - zippy
Shocked!

Will be greatly missed. I have been watching some repeats of NTNOCN recently, made me laugh out loud!
 Mel Smith dies. - Meldrew
Loved the face-to-face discussions with Gryff Rhys-Jones, particularly the one about the sperm bank. Making deposits and getting overdrawn! Hilarious
 Mel Smith dies. - Zero
The ultimate tribute from the kind of web site like C4P I think

www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9lmCpIzhFo

Mel Smith dies. - Zero
>> The ultimate tribute from the kind of web site like C4P I think
>>
>> www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9lmCpIzhFo

I'd forgotten how good that sketch was, and topical even today (the 'bikers killed" score)
 Mel Smith dies. - Armel Coussine
A funny man, still quite young I think. Had that sulky spud-faced look, adaptable in all directions, which is a godsend to many comics. I love adult (not 'adult') comic sketches and always tried to watch Alas S & J... Can't remember much now but I seem to remember a very good number he used to do as an outrageously incompetent, slobbish and venial garage man.

Of course Not the Nine O'clock News was a trend-setter, like The Day Today.

It seems quite a lot of funny men die fairly young. I suspect it's much harder work than it looks, and humour often comes from early heartbreak... but I know nothing of Mel Smith's history or personal life.
 Mel Smith dies. - Robin O'Reliant
A great comedian and a refreshing change from the left wing (funny as toothache) comedians such as Ben Elton who sprung up around the same time.
 Mel Smith dies. - Fenlander
It was always said that the production company Griff & Mel started (Talkback) was sold in the early 80s for £62 million. If so he had a nice draw from that. Otherwise I think he's been pretty low key in his work since those early days.

Addicted to over the counter medicines for a period too I recall.
>> over the counter medicines for a period too

And under the counter ones I shouldn't wonder, an occupational risk for many successful performers.

So watch out Perro with all those rural chemicals, tut tut and at your age too... stick to natural vegetable products comrade...

:o}

Speaking of vegetable products, herself came in a while back with a bowl of huge, blushing, slightly hairy and totally delicious gosseberries. She makes a terrific fool, very unselfishly because she can't eat cream.

Our gooseberry bushes are the thorny variety she tells me.
 Mel Smith dies. - Dog
>>So watch out Perro with all those rural chemicals

What, like Glyphosate.

:-((
>> Glyphosate.

Actually there's no mention so far of any illicit substances, although that wouldn't necessarily mean there weren't any. But ill-health - gout - seems to have been a problem.
 Mel Smith dies. - Dog
>>But ill-health - gout - seems to have been a problem.

He suffered from depression and battled an addiction to painkillers (like so many of his ilk) ending up in hospital in 1999 with severe stomach ulcers.
 Mel Smith dies. - Dog
>>Shocked!

I'm with this^ Giza ... he was the same age as me :(

RIP.
 Mel Smith dies. - Skip
I remember a sketch with Mel & Griff where they carried out a DIY vasectomy - hilarious !

RIP Mel
 Mel Smith dies. - zookeeper
www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS2N1mBsEdM

CLASSIC
 Mel Smith dies. - ....
I thought the Swedish Chemist was a classic !!!
Latest Forum Posts