Non-motoring > What was the first tools you bought? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Bigtee Replies: 17

What was the first tools you bought? - Bigtee
Back in 1987 at a carboot sale in Bradford west yorks a kind man sold me a set of 3/8 Snap-on sockets 7-19mm for just £5.00 yes £5.00...........( and i still have them today) i was 16 years old with my first wages.

This went on to buy lots of snap-on including 2 top boxes still have the last one and several other gear the list never ends.

So guys and gals what was the first tool/tools you bought?

What have you just bought?

And what have you always wanted but never bought?
 What was the first tools you bought? - The Nut
Some time in my teens I bought some bike tools, chain splitter, crank puller and the like, regular stuff like spanners and screwdrivers were always available in the house so never needed to buy those until I moved out.

Most recent purchase were a brick hammer and a big torx bit to fit cam belt pulley's.

What I want is welding gear, air tools and a car lift, but lack of space (and justifying the cost to my better half) stops that from happening.
Last edited by: VxFan on Wed 2 Jun 10 at 21:30
 What was the first tools you bought? - henry k
First tools were for my bike
Tyre levers, dumbell spanner, cone spanners, chain chopper, C spanner for the bottom bracket and few simple cheap items.

When I went into the big world as " an improver"
"Get yerself some good tools lad" so I got , and still have 4oz 8oz and 1Ib ball pein hammers, some spanners,a pair of Swedish side cutters a pair of pointed pliers ( IIRC 81s as used by the post office) Eclipse hacksaw and been a sucker for tools ever since.
 What was the first tools you bought? - Iffy
My first tools were bought for me.

The gaffer at the garage used to open a Snap-on account for each new starter with a set of screwdrivers.

I think there were seven or eight and I still have nearly all of them 35 years later.

And they are still nicer to use than anything else I've come across.

Rarely buy tools now, but I did invest in an oil sucker a couple of weeks ago.
 What was the first tools you bought? - bathtub tom
>>IIRC 81s as used by the post office

Good old 'pliers wiring number 2' IIRC (as referred to in the 'rate book').
 What was the first tools you bought? - MD
>>I still have 4oz 8oz & 1Ib ball pein hammers.

They only hurt if you miss!!
>> >>I still have 4oz 8oz & 1Ib ball pein hammers.
>>
>> They only hurt if you miss!!
>>
I was taught to polish them.
A good, wooden-handled ball pein is very handy as a lever to tension alternator drive belts.

What was the first tools you bought? - RattleandSmoke
Probably a screw driver when I was about 3 years old. I know at least by seven I had habbit of taking all my toys apart to see how they worked.
>>>>What was the first tools you bought?
>>Probably a screw driver when I was about 3 years old
>>
What a smart kiddy that Rattle was :-)
 What was the first tools you bought? - RattleandSmoke
Its a shame I never followed it through. I think I gave up on engineering when I realised maths was involved!

I remember when I was ten building an entire lego village which lit up at light and my primary school teacher being very impressed with it. Then there was the bombs I started making when I was 14*

*The bombs were nothing more than a 555 timer osscalating to make the sound of a bomb timer and lots of flashing LEDs but it was enough to convince my sisters mates that I had actually built a bomb. Of course this was just after thr IRA bomb hit Manchester.

I still do enjoy taking things like HIFI apart to see how they are made.
 What was the first tools you bought? - Ted

I win !.........Before Ratboy had his screwdriver, I had a wooden hammer which I used to drive round coloured dowels through a board, then turn it over and thump them back again !
The Gameboy of '47.

Ted
 What was the first tools you bought? - crocks
I had one of those too.
And the batteries never went flat!
...I had one of those too...

So did I.

I didn't understand it, partly because the hammer was missing.
 What was the first tools you bought? - Armel Coussine
I had one with a very thick block of wood with a curved hole in it that came back up. If you hammered enough coloured pegs into it they would start reappearing from the other end of the hole. Really used to annoy me for some reason... I didn't think straight cylindrical pegs should curve round like that. Stood to reason, I thought at the time.
 What was the first tools you bought? - Pat
Set of Verniers and a Mike, essential equipment when faced with a redfaced fitter with a piston and conrod in his hand from an obscure piece of coal face machinery:)

I still have them somewhere and they helped identify ( and be able to bodge) so may things.

Pat
 What was the first tools you bought? - Ted

HeHe.....

tinyurl.com/2utpk68

Ted
 What was the first tools you bought? - L'escargot
First one was a dumbell shaped bicycle spanner.
Latest Forum Posts