Non-motoring > Premium Bonds Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Lygonos Replies: 18

Premium Bonds - Lygonos
Received an email from Nat Savings advising me that Premium Bonds are having their returns cut further to 1.30% pa.

Obviously somehow the govt is able to borrow money to pay its debt habit at pretty low rates.

Hence the failure to get the deficit down effectively.
 Premium Bonds - Zero
I have premium bonds bought for me when i was 6. The rate of return over 50 years has been 0.00%
 Premium Bonds - BobbyG
I bought premium bonds 11 months ago and have had 2 x £25 wins

Na na banana ..... :)
 Premium Bonds - Zero
Get te....
 Premium Bonds - Runfer D'Hills
Fifty quid Bobby? You'd get a spare pair of shoes for that. Imagine that, luxury eh?
 Premium Bonds - BobbyG
Would expect two pairs for that Humph......

I could buy 2 pairs the same and alternate which shoes I wore to make them last even longer and give the all important "never wear the same shoes two days in a row".

Anyway, I bought a pair in the states, 5 bucks they cost me......
 Premium Bonds - Kevin
>Received an email from Nat Savings advising me that Premium Bonds are having their returns cut further to 1.30% pa.

>Obviously somehow the govt is able to borrow money to pay its debt habit at pretty low rates.

Not on the radar I'm afraid. Wait for Ed and Ed's condemnation that Sky subscriptions are going up.
 Premium Bonds - Runfer D'Hills
I have one premium bond which I've had all my life. Yep one. Don't know where it is mind. Might be worth something eh? Enough for a Mini Cooper d'ye think?
 Premium Bonds - legacylad
Certainly not enough for a Westfield.
 Premium Bonds - L'escargot
>> I have one premium bond which I've had all my life.

I have one of the first premium bonds issued which my parents bought me in 1956. It cost £1. At today's prices it would have cost £21.18. I've never won anything with it.
 Premium Bonds - BobbyG
Make sure you are all registered online with your bonds - my dad has had some from since time began and has apparently never won a penny but I ain't convinced that they will be registered at the right address!
 Premium Bonds - helicopter
They are just a bit of fun really.

SWMBO has around £17 K worth and gets the odd payouts over the year , usually £25 ( although she had £50 this month ) .We use the winnings towards trips to the Theatre in London.

I have around £2 K worth which I bought over 10 years ago with some spare cash when I finished a work contract......

First month they went in the draw I won £500 ...... herself was gutted, mind you I have not seen any return since....

helicopter jr ( a chartered accountant ) is determinedly trying to get us to take our money out of premium bonds and put it somewhere with a better return but I like that element that we may just get a big payout.....one day....
 Premium Bonds - Mike Hannon
We have a block of PBs that date back years and have never won a thing - I still check now and again.
Nothing will convince me that they are still entered in the draw every month.
 Premium Bonds - madf
My annual return of PBs gross is c 2.2% last years.
SWMBO's is 0.9%.

Roughly same amounts but I am winning ...:-)

Go figure.
 Premium Bonds - smokie
Register on the web site and you even get an email every month telling you that you've not won - I know I do!

But at least by doing that you know they are properly assigned to you at the right address etc.
 Premium Bonds - NeilS
I buy some each year, quite a lot unfortunately as several months later I have to cash the vast majority of them in to pay my self assessment tax. I seem to win something at or around each time I buy/sell. Had a £100 one month, then another month 5 x £25 each in their own envelope. Wouldn't normally bother but with rates so low worth a bit of a punt.
Last edited by: NeilS on Fri 26 Jul 13 at 16:19
 Premium Bonds - mikeyb
Yeah, I still maintain its worth a pop. Few of us at work used to be in a lottery syndicate, but decided to just chuck some money into PB's each month instead. We've had one £25 win so far and now have about 2.5K between the 6 of us if we want to cash in. SOmbody has got to with the mil :-)
 Premium Bonds - bathtub tom
I've some and accept they're not the best investment.

However, there's that little frisson of excitement each month when I check them..............
 Premium Bonds - R.P.
I don't bother - let them let me know.
Latest Forum Posts