Non-motoring > Gloss paints not what they were.. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: legacylad Replies: 17

Gloss paints not what they were.. - legacylad
Increasingly, it seems that paints are becoming less 'effective' than they were. Many undercoat and gloss paints are now water based. Friends who live in exposed areas of N Yorks tell me they experimented with these water based paints and the period between repainting was seriously shortened.

I was recently recommended Leyland Trade Truguard flexible gloss as a better alternative to Dulux Trade. Quite expensive at £32 for 2.5 litres, but I shall see how long it lasts on my wooden frames, which really do catch howling winds & driving, horizontal rain.
 Gloss paints not what they were.. - Dog
This is good (and expensive) sikkens.trade-decorating.co.uk/products/sikkens_rubbol_satura_plus.jsp
 Gloss paints not what they were.. - Slidingpillar
It's all about the reduction of VOCs, Volatile Organic Compounds. Same problem with car and truck paints.

EC directive (what else) see here:
ec.europa.eu/environment/air/pollutants/stationary/paints/paints_legis.htm
 Gloss paints not what they were.. - Mike Hannon
If you think UK paint is deteriorating in quality you should try the rubbish they try and pass off in France. And it costs squillions.
 Gloss paints not what they were.. - madf
>> This is good (and expensive) sikkens.trade-decorating.co.uk/products/sikkens_rubbol_satura_plus.jsp
>>

Just used it on a new front gate - as recommended by local joinery firm as "expensive but the best".

The last gate lasted for c 24 years, I hope this one lasts longer...
Last edited by: madf on Fri 26 Jul 13 at 12:23
 Gloss paints not what they were.. - Dog
>>The last gate lasted for c 24 years, I hope this one lasts longer...

And ya self??
 Gloss paints not what they were.. - sooty123
How much for a can ?
£18-£20 per litre.

Smells loverly
 Gloss paints not what they were.. - Cliff Pope
It's still possible to get real paint - try a traditional marine chandlers.
 Gloss paints not what they were.. - bathtub tom
I've been using water based, semi-permeable paints on woodwork for years. It requires stripping back to bare wood, but it lasts much longer than alkyd resin stuff.

It's not as glossy, but it remains whiter longer and allows the wood to 'breathe'.

I started using it after a historic aircraft restorer advised me the worst thing you can do to wood is enclose it in an impermeable coating. Those guys measure the humidity of wood to determine its structural integrity.
 Gloss paints not what they were.. - MD
Upvc.

Coat going on..............................
 Gloss paints not what they were.. - R.P.
Undercoat ?
 Gloss paints not what they were.. - MD
Another Prime(r) comment from you Sir.
No
Apply straight with no undercoat.
 Gloss paints not what they were.. - Cliff Pope
>> I've been using water based, semi-permeable paints on woodwork for years. It requires stripping back
>> to bare wood, but it lasts much longer than alkyd resin stuff.

I think that might be true, as long as you really can strip it right back to the bare wood.
But it only soaks in if the wood has never previously been painted with traditional oil paint. Any trace of oil-based paint in the fibres stops the water-based paint from keying properly.

In my experience water-based paint is useless on top of oil based paint.
If the wood is really old and has ever been stripped by traditional blow-lamping, then the oils will have been driven deep into the wood, and will only ever take oil paint properly.

There is a different kind of solvent-based primer which is colourless and quite thin, a bit like wood-preserver. This soaks in really well, and gives an excellent key for a subsequent coat of traditional primer, or primer/undercoat.
 Gloss paints not what they were.. - L'escargot
We had our lounge decorated nine weeks ago, and we can still smell the gloss paint that the decorator used. For a couple of weeks the smell was really acrid. We tried all sorts of ways to get rid of the smell but it still persisted. The decorator said it was good paint but he didn't mention the smell. The paint was Johnstone's Pure Brilliant White. I think it was called Liquid Gloss but I couldn't be certain.
 Gloss paints not what they were.. - legacylad
I have no surfaces whatsoever painted with gloss paint in the house. All skirtings, rads, window sills are in eggshell. And lots of windows, sapele wood I think (possibly not spelt correctly) are covered in Sikkens. Only exterior doors & frames are in oil based gloss.
 Gloss paints not what they were.. - Roger.
We have used - or rather my live-in lady painter - has used Ronseal Diamond Hard wood paint in white gloss.
It seems to be lasting pretty well, although it is a water based product.
We bought it on-line from ScrewFix as none of our local sheds stocked it.
Expensive though, but immaculate service from ScrewFix.
Latest Forum Posts