Non-motoring > Desert Island Discs Miscellaneous
Thread Author: CGNorwich Replies: 44

Desert Island Discs - CGNorwich
Just finished listening to Russell Brand on DID

I know there are a lot of people who dislike the man, or at least dislike the man they think he is , but I would highly recommend this program. Brand come across as intelligent and funny. Well worth a listen.
 Desert Island Discs - smokie
I heard it and was impressed too. His intelligence comes across in his comedy too at times, but the swings from quite clever stuff to the other end of the spectrum mean I don't really enjoy his shows a lot. He was on Question Time a bit back too but I only caught the last two minutes - again, he seemed to take cheap shots just for the laugh rather than using his obvious intellect. Maybe I missed the better bits.
 Desert Island Discs - Zero

>> Maybe I missed the better bits.

You didn't, every point he made started off intelligently and degenerated into puerile nonsense.

Clearly this guy is somewhere on the Autistic spectrum, has all the classic signs, not least not knowing when to shut up.
"Clearly this guy is somewhere on the Autistic spectrum, has all the classic signs, not least not knowing when to shut up."

Hmmmm.
yes? you have something to say?
 Desert Island Discs - Dog
I detest the man and always switch orf the idiots lantern if he's on - just another overpaid wastrel IMO!

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

"

That's what I thought - until I listened to him on the wireless this morning but, he's gorn up in my estimation.
 Desert Island Discs - Fenlander
He would not be natural company for me but I've always respected his intelligence and quick wit behind the often crude banter.
 Desert Island Discs - Robin O'Reliant
On a late Saturday night trip back from Tadly to west Wales a few years ago I was stuck with him on Radio 2. I simply could not believe how the BBC would pay someone as utterly boring as that to present a show. Like Z says, he simply doesn't know when to shut up.
 Desert Island Discs - BobbyG
I thouh similarly about Will I Am , what a knob etc until I saw him on Top Gear and SIARPC and changed my opinion of him a lot.

Many people have a hugely different public and private persona!
 Desert Island Discs - BobbyG
Incidentally, re DID, I very rarely read books and when I do they are normally autobiographies. And even then, its normally only during summer holidays that I read.

Last year I downloaded a whole load of DID podcasts and listened to them while lying at the poolside - they never play any of the tracks fully (assume some sort of licensing issue) but enough talk time to form an opinion on the guest and whether I would maybe like to subsequently read more about them in due course.
 Desert Island Discs - Armel Coussine
He is clever, he is funny, and he is also an unpleasant irritating twee PITA. Completely unbearable.
 Desert Island Discs - R.P.
One of my favourite programmes....my cousin was involved in one - bailing out Lady Scotland after she had a case of verbal diarrhoea - didn't manage to prevent it being broadcast.
>> He is clever, he is funny, and he is also an unpleasant irritating twee PITA.
>> Completely unbearable.

Did you actually listen to DID AC? He might be a PITA but sometimes, just sometimes he had something worthwhile to say which is more than can be said of most "celebrities''.
 Desert Island Discs - Armel Coussine
>> Did you actually listen to DID

No, I never do, or hardly ever.

As I said, the carphound is clever and funny. I don't doubt that he sometimes had something worthwhile to say. I just know he would have annoyed me sooner or later while saying it.
"I just know he would have annoyed me sooner or later while saying it."

Yep, some people have the knack of being totally irritating even if they might have something useful to say.
He can't be all bad, he's a West Ham fan.
I hope Ray Winston kicks his head in

Edit, I take that back, we are gonna need everyone and anyone we can find to stuff into the Olympic Stadium to give it any atmosphere at all.

Even that Brand prick.
Last edited by: Zero on Fri 26 Jul 13 at 21:24
I listened to him on Sunday (after the Archers Omnibus !) - I asked myself at one point - "what's he for ?" He seemed quite honest though.
 Desert Island Discs - Manatee
I just realised I can't remember anything he said.

A bit like trying to recall the tune of a Duran Duran record.
"Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand...."
>> "Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand...."

Means nothing to me, sorry!
>> >> "Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand...."
>>
>> Means nothing to me, sorry!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3W6yf6c-FA
They weren't my cup of tea at the time - but inescapable on Atlantic 252 !
 Desert Island Discs - Ian (Cape Town)

>> >> Means nothing to me,

No, that was Ultravox.
 Desert Island Discs - crocks
>> Means nothing to me, sorry!

Isn't that Ultravox?
 Desert Island Discs - MD
Sharp Crocks. Sharp.
>> "I just know he would have annoyed me sooner or later while saying it."
>>
>> Yep, some people have the knack of being totally irritating even if they might have
>> something useful to say.

I just listened to it,against my better judgement, based on comments here.

He didn't have anything useful to say, and he was very tedious in not saying it.

Self obsessed.
 Desert Island Discs - Ian (Cape Town)
I've tried to listen to and watch him.
Sorry, not my cup of tea at all, and neither is his partner-in-crassness Jonathon Ross, who I remember as a bit of an irritant the first time I saw him, back in 1986.

They both seem to be the types who will use rude words, or sex, or bodily functions to get a laugh (sic) purely from the shock value.
Don't get me wrong, some comedians can be crude AND funny, IMHO.
But neither Wossy or Brand qualify.

Desert Island Discs - L'escargot
>> ............. Jonathon Ross, ............

If I was Jonathon Ross I would go to a speech therapist to get rid of the lisp.
Last edited by: L'escargot on Sat 27 Jul 13 at 08:39
 Desert Island Discs - Ambo
At least it wasn't Twitmarsh.

I didn't hear that particular programme but the series can be surprising. In the days of Dreary Lawley, Julie Andrews was featured and revealed herself as a very thoughtful person, not at all what I expected.
It is an excellent programme - an enduring format, with some genuine jewels. The whole archive is available now.
Except Jimmy Savile and Stuart Hall?
 Desert Island Discs - Focusless
>> Except Jimmy Savile

no

>> and Stuart Hall?

Yes! www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/caed0ab9#p0094b6r
Err no
I commend to you this DID with the late Miriam Rothschild, the great flea enthusiast.

www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/2d4bc4e0#p009mdy7

In complete contrast to Russell Brand and the like who can only talk with enthusiasm about their own feelings and opinions, I never feel I have wasted the time when I hear one with somebody like her.

Fame and celebrity are neither necessary nor sufficient for a DID subject.
Whoever they are they have a story to tell - you don't have to listen to them - btw Savile's prgramme is still on the database.
>> Whoever they are they have a story to tell - you don't have to listen
>> to them - btw Savile's prgramme is still on the database.

Savile is listed but not available to listen to, or wasn't an hour ago.

Each to their own of course. I can't remember anything of the Brand one apart from his Dad beggaring off and his Mum dying, and the fact that he has taken a lot of drugs and likes Morrisey. Possibly explains a few things but not very interesting to me.

Here's another good one - Humph.

www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs/castaway/295130ee#p0093tx6
Didn't actually click on the Savile one ! Oh yes Humph may listen to that now actually - brilliant man - miss him on ISIHAC - although Jack Dee is doing a grand job, to think they nearly gave it to Stephen Fry.
I never understand why they airbrush certain people of of history. Old Top of The Pops presented by Savile are never shown and you'll never hear a Gary Glitter track played on any radio station in this country. Yet despite their sins they were both an important part of this country's pop culture, love 'em or loather 'em.

There's also an element of hypocrisy as Chuck Berry's music is widely celebrated on air despite a rather unsavoury past that would have him branded a paedo in a Sun headline today, as would be the case with Elvis. Who's in and who's out is more to do with what the press and broadcasters feel they can get away with as any moral stance.
Last edited by: Robin Regal on Sat 27 Jul 13 at 17:43
I was thinking much the same as you earlier.
 Desert Island Discs - Cliff Pope
>> I never understand why they airbrush certain people of of history.

Sometimes they have to spray-paint people back into history, in the light of later changed morals or perspectives.
Certain Greek practices were airbrushed by the victorians, but have now been legalised and put back on the PC pedestal.
 Desert Island Discs - Ambo
>>Fame and celebrity are neither necessary nor sufficient for a DID subject

Quite. After a very dull programme featuring Lord Goodman I wrote to M/s Lawley suggesting she occasionally host an unknown. Many people away from the public eye must have very interesting stories. I even offered my services but there was no response.
 Desert Island Discs - jc2
It has happened many times-Alastair McClaean was one-BBC heard he was in London and asked him to appear on "Desert Island Discs".It turned out not to be the author but another person of the same name.He was very interesting and had a good choice of music.
 Desert Island Discs - Cliff Pope
>> It turned out not to be the author but
>> another person of the same name.

I like it! Lord Copper wanted William Boot.
www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qrx7

Caught this on the way home from work tonight - a brilliant piece of radio. It is programmes like this that attracted me to Radio 4 as a kid - simple, clever and captivating. Gave me great pleasure.
 Desert Island Discs - Andy Kershaw. - R.P.
Just reading his book - "No Off Switch" in which he comes across as a rather arrogant twonk - but a compelling read nonetheless. He mentions his appearance on the show in 2007. Lo and behold found it on the site
www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b007757m

Any interest in music and 70s and 80s and this should float your boat. Be warned he rubbishes ELO and idolises Slade in the book.
Latest Forum Posts