Non-motoring > Lack of Golden Delicious apples Miscellaneous
Thread Author: VxFan Replies: 40

Lack of Golden Delicious apples - VxFan
Is there a national shortage, or just in Oxfordshire?

Both my local Tesco and Waitrose are in short supply at the moment. Either none at all on the shelves, or they'd have to pay me to take the bruised and otherwise damaged ones left behind off their hands.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Slidingpillar
Ooh good. They are the worst variety by far. Plenty of good English breeds/types.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Zero
Yes GD are tasteless pap.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Roger.
The very best eating apples (except a good Cox's) come from South Africa.
French and Italian apples are carp by and large.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - busbee
I went off the Cox apple when the UK stopped producing and selling the Cox's Orange Pippin and instead produced something they call a cox, a much less tastier apple to my taste buds.

These days I eat mostly Pink Lady, fresh UK Russet ones and a few South African ones. Oh and a very large UK apple that is part O-pippin, who's name escapes me just now.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - DP
I have never liked them. Bland, soft and tasteless.

Give me a good Granny Smith any day. Preferably one that's sharp enough to make you flinch a little bit as it first hits your tongue. Delicious.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Meldrew
Pink Lady are tasty and pricey - much like most ladies! Canadian imports I believe.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - CGNorwich
"Pink Lady" is actually a copyright marketing name for an apple that meets fairly exacting marketing standards as to size and lack of blemishes etc.

The actual variety is called Cripps Pink. You can see why they needed a new name! A kilo of Cripps doesn't sound right
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Crankcase
I'd recommend a Jazz if you've not tried them - cross between a Royal Gala and and a Braeburn, with a good texture and a sweet but tangy hit. From New Zealand I think.
>> I went off the Cox apple when the UK stopped producing and selling the Cox's
>> Orange Pippin and instead produced something they call a cox, a much less tastier apple
>> to my taste buds.

Might be your tastebuds I'm afraid. Cox and Co's Orange Pippin are one and the same. They just adopted the shorter name for marketing purposes. Those grown in New Zealand don't taste the same as the English ones which are sharper. Wait till November and try try an English one.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - DeeW
I agree in the UK, but years ago I ate one straight off the tree in the Dordogne ... It was delicious. They obviously don't travel.

I have four varieties of apple in the garden and none are anywhere near ready, in fact, the 'June drop' is still not finished. Normally by now my friendly cider makers have had their first picking.

It's not autumn yet! Most golden delicious are grow in Europe, mainly France. Most apples you are eating now are from the southern hemisphere.

Traditionally you wouldn't be eating apples in July! Supermarkets have lead us to think everything should be available all year round.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Mike Hannon
I concur with the opinions of GD apples mentioned above. Carp.
However, I do know that in this part of the world, which has an 'AOC' for them, last year's crop failed because of freak frost at the blossom stage.
>> I concur with the opinions of GD apples mentioned above. Carp.
>> However, I do know that in this part of the world, which has an 'AOC'
>> for them, last year's crop failed because of freak frost at the blossom stage.

Lord protect us from crap french apples.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Armel Coussine
I don't have the dentition for apples and don't like them all that much. But I am very partial to good russet apples. They have a distinctive astringent taste (and a very nice skin colour). Unfortunately the really good ones are hard to find.

Herself disapproves strongly of French apples in particular, especially golden delicious. She thinks we grow perfectly good ones here.
Last edited by: Armel Coussine on Mon 29 Jul 13 at 15:10
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - R.P.
I wouldn't touch a GD on the grounds of taste alone ! Had a Japanese Fuji apple from Tesco which was rather tasty - also an American apple, big, brash but quite sweet. British apples tend to look a little bit crap but usually taste the best.

Lack of Golden Delicious apples - madf
Our apple trees are groaning under apples.

GYO and store them.
On a fruity note - we've caught one of the dogs scrummpying Raspberries off the bush...!
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - bathtub tom
>> On a fruity note - we've caught one of the dogs scrummpying Raspberries off the
>> bush...!

Had a Springer did that with gooseberries, she then went and ate the bush!
Fifi expects me to pick the raspberries off and hand feed her.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - neiltoo
The only true word in the description is "apples" - but only distantly.
They are neither golden nor delicious - so they fail the trades description test completely.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - sooty123
What variety have you got madf? Ours should be a good crop this year, it was terrible last year.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Haywain
Anyone tried Kidd's Orange Red? I spent over 20 years at a trials farm where we had around 3 dozen different varieties of apple so I had plenty of time to compare them all over a range of seasons.

My favourite was Kidd's Orange Red, a late season apple with firm flesh and a wonderful aromatic flavour. It keeps well, but I would recommend avoiding very large fruit as they can have a tendency to be mealy.

The variety is a cross between Cox Orange Pippin and American Delicious (NOT Golden Delicious!). It isn't grown extensively because it doesn't yield as well as more recent introductions.

www.orangepippin.com/apples/kidds-orange-red

We grew the high-yielding Golden Delicious but I'm not sure that they developed so well in the UK - they tended to remain more green than golden in colour. GD kept well, but that was their best feature.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Stuartli
Golden Delicious are about as tasty as the Mitsubishi Carisma lived up to its model name as a "divine gift"...:-(
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - jc2
Braeburn are the only apples worth eating-crisp as a Cox but sweet.
So much negativity toward GD apples.

Well I happen to like them but seem to be in short supply at the moment.
cos no-one wants them anymore clearly.
Or they're ever so popular and supply can't meet the demand.
if they were we would be offering you the ones we panic bought earlier...
Last edited by: Zero on Mon 29 Jul 13 at 16:46
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Clk Sec
As usual, you get what you pay for. Pink Lady every time for me.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Stuartli
>> As usual, you get what you pay for. Pink Lady every time for me.>>

My second best mate established the UK's biggest independent fruit and vegetable distributor two or three decades ago and has recommended Pink Lady apples to me for a number of years (like me, he also likes a Cox Pippin but they are not as easy to obtain now).
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Dog
>>So much negativity toward GD apples.

I likes em 'n all but, I'll only eat orgasmic fruity's which usually means Gala and that, like.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Pat
Reminds me of a lesson learned when I was just seven years old.

I was out with a few other children in the village we lived in and of course they were all boys.

We climbed the wall of the vicarage and went scrumping in the orchard.

The Vicar caught us, or rather two of us, and he made us empty our pockets and give him all the apples back and gave us a long lecture about stealing.

I was ever so pleased because I had kept just one in my pocket and he didn't know about it.
I knew it would give me a bit of street cred when we met up with the other lads though.

I proudly took it out of my pocket in front of them all and took a bite.....only to find it was a pear, which to this day, I still don't like!

Pat

Lack of Golden Delicious apples - corax
>> I likes em 'n all but, I'll only eat orgasmic fruity's which usually means Gala
>> and that, like.

Gala are nice. Recently bought some Tesco Value apples called Brazilian Fuji, very tasty. Also Braeburns and Cox's.
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Mapmaker
GD and Granny Smiths are gloriously difficult to find these days. Ugh.

I am very partial to Pink Ladies (which make it at 7 to the £1 on the market, just like any other apple so I don't get why they're so expensive in the supermarket. And I really like Braeburns too for their crispness.

AT the moment I'm staring at 3kg of apricots. The first 3kg made jam; not sure what to do with the second lot. All for a fiver from East St market that I'm sure Dog knows. And a huge bowl of persimmons too £2. I always find it difficult to believe how expensive these things are in a supermarket compared with slightly blemished ones at a London street market.

July apples are perfectly possible. See here. www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapevine/feeling-fruity/best-early-ripening-apple-varieties_68868.html
Last edited by: Mapmaker on Mon 29 Jul 13 at 20:06
>> GD and Granny Smiths are gloriously difficult to find these days. Ugh.
>>
>> I am very partial to Pink Ladies (which make it at 7 to the £1
>> on the market, just like any other apple so I don't get why they're so
>> expensive in the supermarket. And I really like Braeburns too for their crispness.
>>
>> AT the moment I'm staring at 3kg of apricots. The first 3kg made jam; not
>> sure what to do with the second lot.

chutney for your rubies.

Dry them and freeze them or freeze them whole for use in Tagines.

Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Dog
>>Gala are nice.

The ole woman does the shopping, tells me la manzanas are Braeburns, organic of course ;)
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - L'escargot
Facts about Golden Delicious apples. www.orangepippin.com/apples/golden-delicious
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - MD
Hey Les. Tell them on that there website that Flavor is in fact Flavour. It's all about U.
Last edited by: MD on Mon 29 Jul 13 at 22:36
 Lack of Golden Delicious apples - Mike Hannon

Braeburn are the only apples worth eating-crisp as a Cox but sweet.

+1. The only reliable source in my part of France, though, is Lidl. I think the last 2 kilo bag on sale there came from either S Africa or Chile.
Lidl's fruit seems tastier here, I think that Pat mentioned they're all sourced from the same places as the other Supermarkets, but maybe their storage is better.
Latest Forum Posts