Non-motoring > Which food...... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 73

Which food...... - MD
...takes you back to your childhood. Mine is simply Baked Beans with a fried egg, nothing else, just that.
 Which food...... - DP
Cheese and potato pie with baked beans.

Grated Red Leicester cheese (always a big bowl of it at my grandmother's house at tea time)

Pink wafer biscuits
 Which food...... - Alanovich
Lemon meringue pie (primary school dinner lady made a fabulous one), lemon curd tart.

Tinned pilchards.
 Which food...... - devonite
Rice Creamola! - loved it as a kid, never seen it since!
 Which food...... - Manatee
Yorkshire puddings made in a loaf tin, one each as a starter.

Banana mashed up with the cream off the milk on it as a pudding.

Tin of salmon for Sunday tea.
 Which food...... - DeeW
Mashed potato with soft boiled eggs ; melted Mars Bar ( you have to add extra chocolate now) poured over vanilla ice cream.

Which food...... - madf
Caviar and smoked salmon.
 Which food...... - corax
Farleys Rusks.
 Which food...... - Zero
Chips, beans and cold spam.

followed by bananas.

As a teen

ANGEL DELIGHT!
 Which food...... - Clk Sec
A large bowl of porridge with a heaped desert spoon of golden syrup and top of the milk.
 Which food...... - MD
>> ANGEL DELIGHT!
>>
I had completely forgotten about Angel Delight. I used to love it as a Child (Orange of course). I did revisit it perhaps 10-15 years ago I think and it was awful.
 Which food...... - Meldrew
Butterscotch Angel delight did it for me.
 Which food...... - MD
>>Butterscotch Angel delight did it for me.

Fiesta did it for me but that's a different subject......
 Which food...... - Cliff Pope
>> Butterscotch Angel delight did it for me.
>>

The intoxicating cloud of BAD dust while it was being whisked.
 Which food...... - TeeCee
>> Butterscotch Angel delight did it for me.
>>

Close......Instant Whip.
 Which food...... - R.P.
ditto to that - I picked a sachet in Home Bargains a couple of years ago - not quite the same as I remember.
 Which food...... - Haywain
Bread and drippin' - toast and drippin' if the bread had gone a bit stale.
 Which food...... - Ambo
Spam, Prem and Mor, virtually inedible American stuff we had to eat in the war, or starve.
 Which food...... - Meldrew
I have dim but unpleasant memories of eating whale meat. Was it called snoek or was that some other dietary delight?
 Which food...... - BiggerBadderDave
As a student - an entire steak and kidney pie in a buttered bap.
 Which food...... - TheManWithNoName
My nan used to make me banana sandwiches with white sugar sprinkled on it.
I also recall having dripping in a sandwich.
There was no health & safety crap back then. Luvverly.
 Which food...... - -
My wonderful and much missed mum was an excellent cook, never tasted an apple pie or milk pudding like she could make, scrummy.

Bread and butter accompanied peaches and (pretent) cream for pudding, in fact all fruit puddings were accompanied by b&b.

When i lived at home as a young feller, if i was on an early start say two in the morning by the time i'd had a wash and got dressed she would have some breakfast ready for me on the table despite all my protestations, same as she would for my dad she would not see one of here charges leave home without feeding them.
 Which food...... - MD
A Proper Mum GB
 Which food...... - Dog
Stewed black cherries 'n custard
 Which food...... - L'escargot
Bread and hard margarine sandwiches. At times it was all we could afford.
 Which food...... - bathtub tom
Bread and butter pudding.

Bread pudding.

Stewed apples covered in golden syrup and custard.
 Which food...... - Xileno
Prunes and cold custard. School dinners, yuk.
 Which food...... - bathtub tom
>> Prunes and cold custard. School dinners, yuk.

I still like that.
 Which food...... - Roger.
Long rolls of steamed suet pastry mince roll.
School dinners!
Fish paste sandwiches and a 1/3rd. pint of milk.
School suppers!
Last edited by: Roger on Mon 29 Jul 13 at 21:06
 Which food...... - zookeeper
crisp sandwiches ( usually smokey bacon or cheese n onion )
 Which food...... - Ted

Me ole mam was no galloping gourmet, God bless her. Legacy of the Hitler war, perhaps, when she only had herself to cater for, I can't remember anything she served up for me. We used to go to her sister's for Sunday tea every other week or so. She lived half a dozen stations down the MSJ&A rly. I suppose we must have got a good traditional tea but I was more concerned with the excitement of the trip on the 1931 Oerlikon Electric trains !

With her being a widow woman, I got school dinners which put me off butter beans to this day. A common pud was some sort of pink sponge with a white, tasteless, custard.

Ted
 Which food...... - legacylad
Flahavans porridge, 50/50 milk & water with maple syrup for brekkie. Blueberry pancakes every Sunday am.

Dinner. Two poached eggs from my local free range, on Heinz beans, on 2 slices granary with proper butter. Simple but effective. Even I can manage that after several beers on the way home.
I don't think Mabel syrup and blueberries had been invented when I was a child. Or granary bread. Or free range eggs.
 Which food...... - Armel Coussine
>> Or free range eggs.

There were a lot of free range eggs when I was small. Blueberries and maple syrup were exotic transatlantinc things you never saw.
I'm quite sure there were lots of free range eggs, but I don't recall them being referred to that way. Ours came from Mr Cockroft (well, his chickens) on the nearby allotments.

Eggs generally were slap white. Brown eggs being dearer. Rarely see white ones now that breeding has got the brown egg layers up to the same productivity.
Last edited by: Manatee on Mon 29 Jul 13 at 23:34
>> free range eggs, but I don't recall them being referred to that way.

No. They were just called eggs, and sometimes there would be a bad one.

When I was really small it was the war and we were all on shortish commons. The milk, cod liver oil and orange juice supplements for children kept us fit, but the food wasn't up to much. My mother and aunt who lived with us weren't great cooks being young and having had a somewhat rackety childhood. But they sometimes made a Maltese peasant dish called balb'uliata, Maltese/Italian for barba oliata, greasy beard. It was like a greasy sloppy Spanish omelette with a lot of onions. Perhaps they made it with powdered eggs, more available in the war than the real thing, but I wouldn't know.

Perhaps the boring food in early childhood is one of the reasons why I don't like it as much as I once did now that I am oldish, and eat little and a bit reluctantly. In my middle years I ate a lot and was sometimes greedy.
>> My mother and aunt who lived with us weren't great cooks being young and having had a somewhat rackety childhood

I should have added that they both improved a lot over time.

The real problem with wartime and early post-war food was that it provided a healthy diet but tasted boring: too much brown bread, shortages of of the nicer fruit and vegetables and things like butter, sugar and meat, which were stingily rationed. I have an abiding dislike of coarse yellow margarine dating from that time.
>> Rarely see white ones now that
>> breeding has got the brown egg layers up to the same productivity.

Tesco are currently testing whether offering white eggs for sale will be worthwhile. tinyurl.com/qdzbpsf
 Which food...... - sooty123
>> >> Rarely see white ones now that
>> >> breeding has got the brown egg layers up to the same productivity.
>>
>> Tesco are currently testing whether offering white eggs for sale will be worthwhile. tinyurl.com/qdzbpsf
>>

Never seen them in the UK, very popular in the US it's almost all white eggs.
>> Never seen them in the UK, very popular in the US it's almost all white
>> eggs.

Yes. I hadn't actually twigged that white eggs had disappeared, until I bought some in the US and did a double take.

When we next got some new chickens at home, we got white Leghorns that did actually lay white eggs. Very characterful chucks they were too, but a bit flighty and prone to roosting in the fruit trees!
 Which food...... - henry k
OP said Which food ...takes you back to your childhood

>>Flahavans porridge, 50/50 milk & water with maple syrup for brekkie. Blueberry pancakes every Sunday am.

>> Dinner. Two poached eggs from my local free range, on Heinz beans, on 2 slices granary with proper butter. Simple but effective. Even I can manage that after several beers on the way home.

As a child I had a frugal life :-)
 Which food...... - R.P.
Pomegranate, they were a Autumn treat. How these pieces of exotic fruit arrived in our disconnected neighbourhood in the early 70s, when a Pineapple was considered exotic, I'll never know
Pomegranates must have been a working class thing, we had them.

Pinny-apples were definitely more exotic, when not in tins.

Cream came in tins too, labelled Plumrose.
 Which food...... - Cliff Pope
>> Pomegranates must have been a working class thing, we had them.
>>

Pomegranates are the most disgusting fruit ever invented. I was given one once as a child and it made me sick. I had one in an hors d'oeuvre at a reception recently and it nearly did the same.
 Which food...... - CGNorwich
Lobster Thermidor au Crevettes with a mornay sauce served in a Provencale manner with shallots and aubergines garnished with truffle pate, brandy and with a fried egg on top and spam.
 Which food...... - Pat
Onion pudding, suet pastry and boiled in a rag, rolled like a swiss roll but with onions instead of jam. served on it's own with vinegar and a small noggin of butter.

Kept me warm both on the day of eating it and the day after too!

Pat
 Which food...... - legacylad
After partaking of light refreshment en route home I thought you were talking about your current favourite foods. I did consider the choices somewhat strange. Now back to normal operating mode.
 Which food...... - Mike Hannon
Queen of puddings.
As a diversion on long winter evenings, my mother would sometimes eat her way through a pig's trotter.
 Which food...... - helicopter
Being brought up on a farm meant I always had a full English breakfast comprising firstly cream laden Scotts Porage Oats ....

.....followed by Bacon Eggs Sausages & Black pudding from our own animals all liberally fried in lard...........washed down by milk fresh from the cow. Mushrooms fresh picked from the field were added in season.

Mum used to make a scotch broth which would warm you no matter how cold it was outside and a bread and butter pudding to die for.....

I hated school dinners and would never drink the school milk because I knew what real fresh milk tasted like....

Occasionally we used to have poached fresh salmon.....and I don't mean boiled in water.........
 Which food...... - Dog
I've eaten pigs feet, and heart, kidney, breast (of lamb) belly (of pork) etc. etc.

Quite disgusting when I think about it, I could never eat bits of dead animals again - even if my life depended on it.
Whoa there Dog....

Belly of Pork is absolutely delicious SWMBO and I regularly still have it for dinner....

The layer of fat crisped up is the best bit.....

Even Gordon agrees ....www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h_rVo8EYFg
 Which food...... - Dog
Gimme a nut roast any day retpocileh.

:-(
It wasn't you that the firemen were called out for was it Dog....

the one with his nuts in the toaster ??????
Last edited by: helicopter on Tue 30 Jul 13 at 08:43
 Which food...... - Dog
Haha! - v/good retpocileh, they don't call me Russell Knobbs for nothing you know ;)
 Which food...... - CGNorwich
Gimme a nut roast any day retpocileh.

You can have mine too! :-)
 Which food...... - Zero
>> I've eaten pigs feet, and heart, kidney, breast (of lamb) belly (of pork) etc. etc.
>>
>> Quite disgusting when I think about it, I could never eat bits of dead animals
>> again - even if my life depended on it.

Repeat after me

Bacon Sarnie baaaaaaaaaacooooooonnnn Saaaaaaaaaarrrrniieeeeee
 Which food...... - Dog
>>Bacon Sarnie baaaaaaaaaacooooooonnnn Saaaaaaaaaarrrrniieeeeee

Ya know, I have some Tesco meat-free bacon (style) rashers, and they ain't arf bad tbh.

Try em, [if they're available in Waitrose] ... you cold always give em to Fifi if they weren't to your liking.

:o)
 Which food...... - Zero
>> Onion pudding, suet pastry and boiled in a rag, rolled like a swiss roll but
>> with onions instead of jam. served on it's own with vinegar and a small noggin
>> of butter.
>>
>> Kept me warm both on the day of eating it and the day after too!
>>
>> Pat

Reminds e of the very similar bacon pudding. Just add streaky bacon to the above recipe. Served with onion gravy.
 Which food...... - neiltoo
And almost as good as my mother's steak and kidney rag pudding.
She also starred with her bacon hot pot.
 Which food...... - NortonES2
No-one has mentioned "pobs". Now that speaks of poverty!
 Which food...... - Dog
>>No-one has mentioned "pobs"

Or SPO!
 Which food...... - Ted

One thing I do remember is the nicking of a jelly, still in it's packet. The resultant gorging took place well out of mum's sight !

Ted
 Which food...... - Dog
>>One thing I do remember is the nicking of a jelly, still in it's packet

I used to do that too - you must remember SPO Teddy!
My mother had a gadget which homogenised margarine and water or milk into artificial cream. If you were rich you used butter instead of margarine. We've still got one, bought from a charity where they didn't know what it was. tinyurl.com/lr5dlb6
Last edited by: L'escargot on Tue 30 Jul 13 at 13:28
 Which food...... - Skip
>> My mother had a gadget which homogenised margarine and water or milk into artificial cream.

My mum had something very similar to that in the 60's. It came from the Green Shield Stamp shop !
Last edited by: Skip on Tue 30 Jul 13 at 13:45
>> >> My mother had a gadget which homogenised margarine and water or milk into artificial
>> cream.
>>
>> My mum had something very similar to that in the 60's. It came from the
>> Green Shield Stamp shop !
>>

My mother's was 1930s. The upper part was red Bakelite. Ours is of a similar vintage.
My mother had several gadgets which homogenised grass and water into real milk or cream.......

They were called cows.....
 Which food...... - Pat
Dog....pigs feet are/were called trotters and usually bought along with a pigs cheek.

Does anyone else save the fat from a roast joint?

I still have to wait until it's set and then eat the delicious jelly from the bottom!

Pat
 Which food...... - Dog
>>pigs feet are/were called trotters

I knows it Pat, I was replying to Mike Hannon's post ;)

How's about SPO then ... sossidges, patatas, and unyons Mmmmm,
mummy used to do the onions in the frying pan with an oxo cube, very tasty!
 Which food...... - madf

Does anyone else save the fat from a roast joint?

I still have to wait until it's set and then eat the delicious jelly from the bottom!

Ahh dripping on bread...
Last edited by: madf on Tue 30 Jul 13 at 17:46
 Which food...... - Zero
>> Dog....pigs feet are/were called trotters and usually bought along with a pigs cheek.
>>
>> Does anyone else save the fat from a roast joint?
>>
>> I still have to wait until it's set and then eat the delicious jelly from
>> the bottom!

Thats not the fat (the fat is the stuff thats hardened) but the juices - (the jelly from the bottom)
Trotters are also known (in Ireland) as crubeens and cheeks are known traditionally as Bath Chaps, a term I dislike, perhaps because I am a chap and was raised largely in Bath.

One of the wartime treats to me was a lovely thing called calf's foot jelly. I remember it as sweet though. I wonder why? Perhaps it was yet another special government product for children.

My old man used to say that every bit of a pig can be used ...

Ham Joints, Gammon, bacon, sausages , black pudding , white pudding, brawn...

Even the pigs bladder was used as a football.....

When somebody challenged him he reckoned the squeal was used in the making of London Taxi drivers brakes.....
 Which food...... - VxFan
>> My old man used to say that every bit of a pig can be used

Surely certain parts would give you the trots.

I'll get me coat.
Latest Forum Posts