Non-motoring > The USA know what a life sentence means........... Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Falkirk Bairn Replies: 11

The USA know what a life sentence means........... - Falkirk Bairn
Life sentence in UK is 5 yrs+
In the USA it is a life sentence x x x ........

tinyurl.com/lp5hcny
 The USA know what a life sentence means........... - Zero
Clearly they don't know what a life sentence is. The +1000 years is pointless grandstanding and turns the sentence into a farcical publicity stunt.
 The USA know what a life sentence means........... - No FM2R
Actually they know its grandstanding and they do it on purpose. Its supposed to show how seriously they take the crime and how they want to award a penalty for every crime, rather than our approach of "taken into account".

They just don't think its pointless or farcical.
 The USA know what a life sentence means........... - R.P.
Sends a good message though. Wouldn't work here though. I reckon the balance is about right here. Foolish as I am, I still believe in redemption...
+1000 years onto a life sentence elicits little more than a shrug from those sentenced.

Its a pity however, that a life sentence in the UK means nothing of the sort.
 The USA know what a life sentence means........... - R.P.
It still is Zero, even released after 15 the convicted will remain on a life-time licence...
But its not is it. Its out. The general public see it as 15 years, and so do I. If someone gets a life sentence I want to see them in jail for life.
 The USA know what a life sentence means........... - Lygonos
Then, unless you want jails like they have in the USA, there will need to be variable sentencing for all crimes including murder.

Some 'murders' don't warrant a life in jail without parole, some do (and some deserve being put feet first through a mincing machine but that's not a sanction I'd ever want a State to hold).
I dont suppose anyone objects to variable sentencing, there does not need to be a mandatory life sentence for murder, people merely want life to mean life.
Last edited by: Zero on Thu 1 Aug 13 at 22:05
 The USA know what a life sentence means........... - Westpig
>> I dont suppose anyone objects to variable sentencing, there does not need to be a
>> mandatory life sentence for murder, people merely want life to mean life.
>>

I would like the sentence to be what is says on the tin. So three years = 3 years, not 18 months...and life means life, not 15 years and a lifetime on parole.
 The USA know what a life sentence means........... - Armel Coussine
They want to stop having to feed them as soon as possible Wp., and use their cells for others. And they want to encourage good behaviour inside.

Prison is a very blunt instrument. Anything to sharpen or refine it is a good idea. Hence 'time off for good behaviour' and so on.

Some people need to be locked up for the good of society, but quite a lot of those who get locked up could be dealt with in other ways, to everyone's benefit. If only, eh?
 The USA know what a life sentence means........... - zookeeper
they should bang them up for 25 years then hang them, give them summet to think about
Latest Forum Posts