Non-motoring > generator lead. Miscellaneous
Thread Author: devonite Replies: 16

generator lead. - devonite
I have just purchased a 3.5kw Generator, for which I will have to fabricate a Generator to 13A socket lead, for powering power tools etc.

The Genny socket takes a L14-20 plug which has 4-prongs at N,S.E.W.
N = White N wire.
S = green E wire.
E + W = 120v hot wires RED + Black.

Output from Genny is rated 30A so I want to connect it to a double 3-pin Cooker socket, to plug in the 3-pin tools. Plugs will be 13A fused as originally purchased.

So, do I wire up the L14 as so, but at the socket end put white to N, green to E, and then twist both the red and black together and fasten to L?

Or, Simply use 3core 30A cooker wire to the cooker socket and wire up the L14 with Red and Black to both the 120v W +E poles, and the green to the N neutral pole and wire the Green E wire to the Genny frame?

Would either of these leads work and be safe? - critisisms/advice welcomed please.

Looked on E-bay but cant find any ready made L14 to British 3 pin sockets!!
 generator lead. - No FM2R
Your tools will be 120v or 240v?
240, till they wear out, gradually to be replaced with 110v - for which I will fabricate a new lead! ;-)
 generator lead. - R.P.
This is an "issue" by the way, not a problem !
 generator lead. - sherlock47
Was it sold as a 240v generator? It depends on the generator configuration on whether you can use the 120-0-120 output to provide 240!

UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO WHAT YOU SUGGEST "So, do I wire up the L14 as so, but at the socket end put white to N, green to E, and then twist both the red and black together and fasten to L?"
Last edited by: pmh on Fri 2 Aug 13 at 14:49
 generator lead. - Zero
>> This is an "issue" by the way, not a problem !

BANG ZAP is the problem.
 generator lead. - R.P.
That's when the issue does become a problem indeed.
3.5KW is not a 30A 240V generator!

devonite, From memory this was a bargain Ebay purchase - can you link the original advert?
Last edited by: pmh on Fri 2 Aug 13 at 15:05
 generator lead. - Jetski
You could get 30A at 120v.
 generator lead. - Fullchat
"This is an "issue" by the way, not a problem !"

And we look at it as a solution opportunity :)
Last edited by: Fullchat on Fri 2 Aug 13 at 16:11
 generator lead. - Slidingpillar
3kW is the load of a butch kettle. 13A at 230 volts or near enough.
As requested, heres the link to the original listing,

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Briggs-And-Stratton-Petrol-Genarator-/261250765103?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&nma=true&si=zkerPwi%252FmBU46V4XJfkZSEQRAKA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

heres the link to the manual I downloaded (hopefully at the correct place!)

www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfImages/33/33a37bb8-2b3d-40bd-aeba-30ae562005a3.pdf

PDF file!

thanks!
Having just had another read, it appears the max Amperage on each socket is 14.5A, so in theory I could run 2x120v loads, or 1x240v and 1x120 at the same time, = genny output 30A. but not 30A on 1 socket.
 generator lead. - Kevin
If you're connecting a 240v socket connect live to X and neutral to Y (or vise versa, it doesn't really matter) and the earth to Green.

If you're connecting 120v sockets connect one socket live to X and the other socket live to Y. Neutral to W and earth to Green on both sockets.

Maximum amperage is 14.5A if only 240v loads are being supplied. Maximum amperage for 120v loads is 29A but only if the load is distributed equally between both 120v sockets - you cannot pull more than 14.5A through one 120v socket.

>so in theory I could run 2x120v loads, or 1x240v and 1x120 at the same time

You can run any combination of 240v and 120v loads as long as the current through either X or Y does not exceed 14.5A.
Ah! - right Thankyou!
The spec shows that 240V configuration is an acceptable (and intended) mode of operation for the generator - just make sure that you follow the guidelines for connection of a 240v socket.

I would leave the supply floating wrt to Earth uness you are going for a fixed installation with a permanent hardwired earth to allow the use of a RCD.
WARNING This is is not advice - merely a personal choice. A RCD will provide no protection in a floating enviroment.

Are you allowed to use personal 240V devices on site?
Thanks for the advice! - it will be a portable power source, not a "fixed" installation. No probs re 240v, it's on my own land. Will gradually change over to 110v for outside use, but not until my 240v tools pack up! - pensioner now! ;-)
Latest Forum Posts