Non-motoring > Common PayPal Scam? Miscellaneous
Thread Author: Ambo Replies: 5

Common PayPal Scam? - Ambo
Common PayPal Scam?

I got an email from PP sent at 06:12 today, saying that I sent a mobile payment for £81.44 to a lady I had never heard of and that “A message has been sent to the recipient asking to accept or refuse the payment”.

I assume “mobile” means mobile phone but I have never done this and indeed only then realised it was possible.

The email includes two links, one to my account history and the other to correct errors. Both begin but on connection only have on the screen after logging in, although the word “secure” and a lock icon appear lower down. The second opened with the message that security details had to be confirmed first. Since these included my credit card I declined.

I sent an email to PP at 08:57 telling them it was a false transaction but I have no reply so far, at 13:57. The credit card phone number gets only a “waiting” response but no debit of the amount has yet been made.

Is this a common scam with PayPal? It is new to me.

Common PayPal Scam? - Tigger
Never click on a link in an email. Log into your account by typing in the URL yourself.

Unless you are 100% sure the email really did come from paypal change your paypal password immediately.
 Common PayPal Scam? - bathtub tom
I recently had one go into my spam, purporting to come from 'Paypal Security'. The title read: 'PayPal Status - Restore your account'.

Note the different use of capital P in the two instances of paypal.

I didn't open it.
 Common PayPal Scam? - sherlock47
See my posting from about a month ago.....

www.car4play.com/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=14566&m=329596

Very easy to fall for.
 Common PayPal Scam? - Zero
Yes its a common scam.
 Common PayPal Scam? - Dave_
+1.

I clear my junk mail out once a week, there's normally at least one attempt at this scam in there. PayPal is so clear and simple to operate for the average private customer that anything abnormal can be safely disregarded as a phishing attempt.

If PayPal really wanted to get hold of you, they'd say so in a clear message when you logged in to it.
Latest Forum Posts