Non-motoring > Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar Miscellaneous
Thread Author: L'escargot Replies: 19

Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - L'escargot
We recently bought a jar of Duerr's marmalade. The lid is in two parts ~ the top and the outer threaded portion. The threaded portion rotates independently of the top, in fact once there is sufficient frictional torque on the top it ceases to rotate. It's the first time I've seen a lid like that. Mind you, it's the first time we've bought Duerr's marmalade!
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - bathtub tom
I came across a lid like that, also on marmalade, a couple of weeks ago. I've a vague recollection of seeing them before, perhaps a long time ago.
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - Meldrew
I haven't come across that lid but Duerrs is very good preserve as is Bon Maman
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - devonite
We've had a Couple of these in the past, ours contained Some Chutney-type stuff. I think they are sometimes used like Kilner jars when "things" are cooked in the jar.
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - Roger.
Underwhelmed by Duerr's marmalade, but jolly happy with LIDL's!
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - madf
Duerrs introduced it c 2-3 years ago. Much easier to open in my view.
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - Armel Coussine
Like a preserving jar, glass lid with rubber washer and threaded tin ring, you put the stuff in there at boiling point, screw the lid down and the vacuum as it cools seals the lid properly. Then you have to break the seal months or years later without chipping the glass or gouging the rubber washer.

There was one sort of jar whose lid you had to press in the middle to break the seal.
>> Duerrs introduced it c 2-3 years ago. Much easier to open in my view.
>>

For jar lids which are difficult to open you need a Culinare One Touch Jar Opener. tinyurl.com/nnavsky
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - Mapmaker
Lidl's marmalade is truly excellent.
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - Roger.
>> Lidl's marmalade is truly excellent.
>>

We don't have a LIDL near to us, but have been known to divert to one in Sheffield, if we are within a few miles, to pick up numerous pots of their jams & marmalade, plus (blush) packs of their Floralys 4 ply toilet rolls!
>> Lidl's marmalade is truly excellent.
>>

Which sort?

Our real preference is for Streamline Reduced Sugar Marmalade (tinyurl.com/q8ljaaa), but unfortunately we can't now find a shop near us which sells it.
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - CGNorwich

I have an assortment of late twentieth century marmalade and jam lids all finely preserved including the rare Chiver's Graperfruit and Lemon. If you are interested in purchasing the entire collection I am open to any reasonable offer
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - madf
>>
>> I have an assortment of late twentieth century marmalade and jam lids all finely preserved
>> including the rare Chiver's Graperfruit and Lemon. If you are interested in purchasing the entire
>> collection I am open to any reasonable offer
>>

1p .
Free P&P.

How generous I am :-)
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - CGNorwich
On their way - all 24,612

Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - WillDeBeest
Clever jar, shame about the insipid pale-orange gunk inside. (Agreeing with Roger again, which always scares me a little.) Much prefer Frank Cooper's, although I've got some Fortnum's stuff in the cupboard that I'm looking forward to.
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - Alastairw
Duerrs Manchester marmalade is my favourite at the moment. Thinly spread on cold, heavily buttered toast for preference.
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - Manatee
Herself has hosted a meeting of the coven (WI committee) tonight, and while I was out this afternoon she made a cake, with jam in. The part-used jar she first lit on was a bit past its sell-by date and she decided it tasted odd. So she found an unopened jar of Bonne Maman strawberry conserve.

The Maman these are made for must have a grip like Popeye. We had to make a hole in the lid of the last one. She gave up on today's and used the odd-tasting stuff anyway, then decided she had better give them fruit cake instead.

I have just got the lid undone on the new jar with a superhuman effort.

My vote is for the Duerr's two-piece. A very sound bit of design.
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - devonite
Should have used an oil-filter wrench (one of those with a strap!) - but not to worry, you'll discover tricks like these when you get Arthritis like me! ;-)
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - bathtub tom
Often have to resort to that!

Those piston wind-back tools are a marvellous invention too.
Last edited by: bathtub tom on Wed 7 Aug 13 at 00:21
 Unusual 2-part lid on a marmalade jar - No FM2R
www.amazon.ca/OXO-Good-Grips-Jar-Opener/dp/B00004OCIV
Latest Forum Posts