Non-motoring > Bedroom tax Miscellaneous
Thread Author: MD Replies: 9

Bedroom tax - MD
link.independent.co.uk/r/6AIINW1/IQ9B6/F2PU9/WBZOD/AMOTY/R1/h?a=05&b=08&c=2013

From the independent. This government couldn't organise a job in a brewery. I absolutely despair.

MD
 Bedroom tax - Ambo
Excellent vote loser, though.
 Bedroom tax - CGNorwich
I doubt it. The governments aim to reduce benefits was widely supported by the electorate. Assessing the housing needs of those those who rent subsidised council houses on the same basis as those who receive housing benefit in the private sector doesn't seem particularly unreasonable to me.

A council house, even after paying for an "extra" room still represents a bargain compared with renting in the private sector. I doubt whether many would be prepared to swap.

Bedroom tax - Lygonos
Not exactly Tory heartland, the affected people.

Likewise the 'losers' with Poll Tax.

Housing benefit is one of the ways in which our tax money artificially inflates the cost of our houses by distorting market forces.

Expensive housing, IMHO, is one of the cornerstones that prevents the UK being as competetive as it should be.
 Bedroom tax - MD
I tend to agree CG, but read the complete article. It seems houses with less bedrooms aren't available. If it is true of course...
 Bedroom tax - swiss tony
>> I tend to agree CG, but read the complete article. It seems houses with less bedrooms aren't available. If it is true of course...
>>

It is true.. ask any council/housing association.
 Bedroom tax - CGNorwich
It is undoubtedly true that alternative council accommodation is not always available.

But why should the tenant be treated differently if it is the council putting the rent up or it is a private landlord doing the same?

There is no obligation on a private landlord to provide you with alternative accommodation just because you say you can't afford the rent increase and council rents are much much lower than anything in the private sector and the increases for the "extra" rooms are modest.
 Bedroom tax - madf
>> Excellent vote loser, though.
>>

Support for benefit system at lowest level for three decades
tinyurl.com/98mgg7n

Telegraph .. not DM.
 Bedroom tax - R.P.
It's a vote winner every time - for those in employment who have experienced pay cuts since the last lo bankrupted to country - they are the ones who will see benefits cuts as a good thing. Note how Working Tax Credits have been kept largely the same (apart from a requirement for couples to have to work 24 hours instead of 16) everything has been nicely calculated to penalise the long term beenfit users - Housing Benefit Cap, Benefit Cap, Council Tax Benefit reduction, and also the change to Universal Credit - where people will get their benefits paid in one lump sum and they'll have to learn to budget just like people in employment.......all a guranteed vote winner.
 Bedroom tax - VxFan
Here's Oxford City Councils answer.

Speed Dating.

www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/10578921.___Speed_dating____aims_to_help_council_tenants_swap_homes/?ref=nt
Latest Forum Posts